mtbr member
    Sep 2006

What would You Do? Frame Swap

I picked up a 2006 Trek Fuel EX9 the other day. THe only problem with this like-new bike is the frame is a 19.5 and I need a 17.5
    I've been looking for a fore triangle for it. No luck so far... not even close.
    Anybody got a suggestion for where to look, or recommendations for a similar quality frame to swap for it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Lbs?

I'm in a similar boat myself. I've been thinking of buying a new AM. I really should just swap out my 2001 frame for a new one. My current 6" has a fork, brakes,a wheelset, tires and rear derail that are top of the line and only a couple of seasons old.

Two things that might not fit from one frame to another is the front derailluer. There's bottom pulls and top pulls. The steerer tube on the fork from your Fuel might be too short for the new frame but you can usually get a replacement.

I would call up your local bike shop and tell them what you're planning. They should be able to give you or I would think.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

usually cranky
    yeah go to your local trek dealer and try to get a new frame ordered. i doubt they will be able to get you an 06 but i hear the 10s are really nice.

mtbr member
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the input. I emailed Trek (wow! 1 day response to a "silly" question) but they don't have any 06 frames. They said, "sell it and buy a new bike" that's fine, except for the extra 2K I don't have for a bike.
    The search continues.