mtbr member

What would you do?

So I'm in the market for a new bike and I have a dilemma. I have $4000 or so to spend. Do I buy a higher spec aluminum bike or a lower spec carbon bike? Get the nice components now without having to upgrade as much or get the nicer frame and upgrade as needed? What would you do? Thanks!

mtbr member
    It depends on what bikes you're looking at. I'd go with the Pivot 5.7c with a less expensive spec over the Pivot 5.7 with a more expensive spec, but that's specific to that bike...the carbon was chosen for ride characteristics, not weight savings. With other bikes, the manufacturer may have had other goals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I must be a cheap ass but at $4k, I'd expect a damn well kitted ride. But, I pay most attention to frame, wheels and fork. the frame is the most costly thing to upgrade though, so get the frame that you want. Regardless, even at $4k you should do pretty well on the spec.

Do you have a nice wheel set or fork you can transfer? If you do, might be worth building your own bike on that budget. I choose to do this because it allows me to dump the money into the parts that matter most to me. I'm ok with an xt crank and xt level brakes. X9 derailleurs are good enough but I like xo shifters. For about $3k I built what I wanted but my frame was only $1k.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seriously if you go to a good lbs, they will seriously take of you if you have cash in hand. When I bought my enduro, the shop gave me a great deal and knocked few hundred bucks off the price. As for groupo, I wouldn't settle for anything less than either xt or x9

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    The bike I am looking at is the Bronson. For $3300 I could get the aluminum base kit and upgrade the parts I want, or just get the better build from the start. Or get the carbon base for $4100 and live without a dropper post and wider handlebars and stem. I thought about transferring over parts from my current bike but it will be more of a headache. I'm better off starting fresh

mtbr member
    specialized has many great bikes at that price point. transition is probably the best bang fork your buck componentry build but honestly, buy the frame you want and worry about the components next.

theres nothing worse than buying a bike that had better specs over the cheaper one you loved riding, then you just have bike envy the whole time because you know of all the smiles you'll be missing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    The bike I am looking at is the Bronson. For $3300 I could get the aluminum base kit and upgrade the parts I want, or just get the better build from the start. Or get the carbon base for $4100 and live without a dropper post and wider handlebars and stem. I thought about transferring over parts from my current bike but it will be more of a headache. I'm better off starting fresh
    What do you perceive the advantage to be of the carbon Vs aluminum version of the Bronson?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For 4k, I would get carbon, for the gear, slx is good, you can always upgrade later. I would suggest you to look at Ibis Mojo SL special blend brand new for $2750 complete, then upgrade the wheelset to 27.5, dropper post, carbon bar, that should be close to $4k, and about 27lbs or less.
    Bronson is nice, being new, the price is still high.
    good luck, happy hunting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would get the carbon frame and upgrade as
    needed or when you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Buy nice or buy twice.

usually cranky
    i agree, nice frame, then components. for most everyone deore stuff is fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They're also offerning the mojo HD special blend now...not sure if that's more bike than what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    I got a Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with a KS LEV seatpost and XFusion 170mm HLR Air fork for under 4K. Best bike I've ever ridden, no regrets. Comes with all SLX drivetrain which is decent, Deore brakes which stop pretty well and the rest of the components are pretty cheap to replace.
    Sometimes you have to take one for the team...

http://www.goprocamera.com
    http://www.specialized.com
    rideSFO.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your out of my league. But if it were me, for that coin, carbon lower specd no.question. Id take the advantages of a carbon ride with slx or xt over aluminum with xtr. It just makes more sensefor future uprading also. Stuff like cranks and derailleurs you cant really feel. and were talkin grams in weight savings. From my understanding shimano has really trickled down there technology especially with brakes. You probably just dont want low end avid. As far im concerned, getting above that price point isnt really that much about performance, but rather keeping up with the jones of the mtb world.

I would probably get caught trying to figure out what linkage i want, dw? Vpp? Yeti? And then 650b or 26? 29 would be out for me. I just think it looks gay. if i were super tall then it would probably make more sense.

That mojo special blend is about the best deal i seen on jenson

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Somthing else to consider is. Depending on your lbs, profit margins on complete build from the manufacture. Cost is usually 70% thats. Cost on part is usually 50_60%. build a relationship with a shop. Even if the shop cant pofit its full 30_50%' there is still a profit to be made on a 4g purchase. There maybe some negotion room depending hoe you go about it. why do you think online prices are so good. They dont care if theyre only making 5 or 10%in some cases. Some money is better than none. Thats also why 2012 and older model get dumped for so cheap. Theyre just trying to recover cost with very lttle on top. Where they get you is that you can usually google will tell you who has what the cheapest. So they know you cant get it elswhere cheaper. One approach is to go your lbs tell them you want to do a.carbon build. You have a 4g budget. Is it possible to make it happen. Give them your phone number with your budget, and let it gel. Sombody will crunch the numbers. Obviously a.smaller bike shop wont have as many policies in.place to prevent making a deal happen

mtbr member
    id say carbon frame, good fork and wheelset. take your time upgrading the rest.

my friend just bought a TRC and the LBS did a lot of swaps for him to get him what he wanted. he payed 4050 out the door. they probably wanted to get rid of that 26" but you might have similar luck. he just ordered a Thomson post and im pretty sure he will not upgrade anything for a long while.