Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What would you do?

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Drth Vadr 
#1 ·
Hi All,

New to forum so a hello to everyone,

I've two bikes in the garage and ride both, for the last year I've not been able to decide which I prefer, so I thought I might make a sinlge bike from the two. The trouble is I can't descide which frame (bike) to base the new one on. The two bikes are:

Stumpjumper 120 FSR Pro 2004 V's Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2007

What would be your choice?

Whooly

#4 ·
CCPHammer said:
Are they both stock?
Yes, both completely stock bikes. I've been working on them today, general clean and lube and still can't descide what to do.

The Pro seems to be a fair bit lighter than the Comp, because of the frame I presume and has a better level of equipment on it, but the Comp has a better shock and linkage, and is newer.

#7 ·
Well what do you know. I bought the Pro about a year ago off my neighbour, he told me it was a 2004, just been on the Specalized website and found it's a 2005 model.

Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2007
FRAME - FSR M5 manipulated alloy frame
REAR SHOCK - Fox Triad, custom on-the-fly 3-position
FORK - Fox Float 120 RL,
BRAKEs - Avid Juicy 5, hydraulic disc
FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano M581 LX
REAR DERAILLEUR - SRAM X-9, 9-speed, long cage
SHIFT LEVERS - SRAM X-7, aluminum trigger 9-speed
CASSETTE / FREEWHEEL - Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11/34t
CHAIN - SRAM PC-951 w /Power Link
CRANKSET - Truvativ Stylo, 2pc crank/BB
CHAINRINGS - 22S/32A/44A 4mm thick outer, 4 bolt 104/64mm
BOTTOM BRACKET - Truvativ GXP, sealed outboard cartridge bearing
PEDALS - Shimano M-520 SPD
RIMS - DT custom for Specialized X430, 24mm w/eyelets, 32h
FRONT HUB - Specialized Stout disc, sealed cartridge bearing, high/low flange, 32h
REAR HUB - Shimano M-525 disc, 32h, alloy Q

Stumpjumper FSR Pro Disc 2005
FRAME - FSR technology, M4 Manipulated Alloy frame
REAR SHOCK - Fox Float Septune. Custom on-the-fly seven position adjustable
FORK - Manitou Minute 1, 100-130mm travel
BRAKES - Shimano M-765 XT hyd disc, metallic pads, 6� XT Rotor
BRAKE LEVERS - Shimano M-765 XT hydraulic disc with integrated shifters
FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano M-760 XT, 34.9mm clamp, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano M-952 XTR, long cage, standard spring
SHIFT LEVERS - Shimano M-760 XT, STI integrated shifter/lever combo
CASSETTE - Shimano M-760 XT, 9-speed, 11x34t
CHAIN - Shimano HG-73
CRANKSET - Shimano M-760 XT Hollow Tech II, 2-piece crank/BB
CHAINRINGS - Shimano 44Ax32Ax22A, 4mm thick outer, 4-bolt 104/64mm,
BOTTOM BRACKET - Shimano M-760 XT, Integrated with crank
PEDALS - Shimano 520 SPD
RIMS - Mavic XC717 disc, 26�, black, welded seam, eyelets
FRONT HUB - Specialized Stout disc, 32 hole, sealed cartridge bearings
REAR HUB - Shimano M-756 XT, 32 hole, alloy Q/R

#8 ·
I would keep the 2007 as your main bike. Better front fork and lighter frame. Then I would tkae some of the better parts of the 2005 to make it lighter. The one thing I can tell is the casette onthe 05 will be lighter, but if you change that you might have shifting problems.

Most componets on the 05 are going to better tha the 07

#10 ·
toytech64 said:
I would keep the 2007 as your main bike. Better front fork and lighter frame. Then I would tkae some of the better parts of the 2005 to make it lighter. The one thing I can tell is the casette onthe 05 will be lighter, but if you change that you might have shifting problems.

Most componets on the 05 are going to better tha the 07
That was my initial thoughts, swap out the Brakes, shifter levers and maybe the wheels from the 05 over to the 07.

So I suppose the question comes down to, is the 07 Comp M5 painted frame comparable or better than the 05 Pro M4 anodised? I get the feeling that the 05 ano is lighter.

#16 · (Edited)
Need Stumpjumper Comp FSR M5 2007 A-Frame

My situation is that I owned this bike and had shipped it; when it arrived, the unbelievable happened, the bottom tube was damaged beyond repair.

I have ALL the parts off the old 2007 Stumpy frame and need an A-Frame to re-assemble; if you go to my account pics, you'll see what I'm working with.

Anyways, sad story. Either I sell the parts I have and put money into buying another bike or I find an A-Frame that these good parts will accept. I've had a good time with this perfectly performing bike so I'm looking for the frame is possible.

Does anyone have this frame, or do you know anyone that may, or can you tell me where I might find one.

HELP

#17 ·
My situation is that I owned this bike and had shipped it; when it arrived, the unbelievable happened, the bottom tube was damaged beyond repair.

I have ALL the parts off the old 2007 Stumpy frame and need an A-Frame to re-assemble; if you go to my account pics, you'll see what I'm working with.

Anyways, sad story. Either I sell the parts I have and put money into buying another bike or I find an A-Frame that these good parts will accept. I've had a good time with this perfectly performing bike so I'm looking for the frame is possible.

Does anyone have this frame, or do you know anyone that may, or can you tell me where I might find one.

HELP
2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Frame & Fork | eBay

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.