mtbr member
    Jun 2004

What would you do with 500.00?

I find myself with a little money to spare. I realize I am very lucky. I currently ride a Iron Horse 6 Point with a light freeride build. Since this is my one bike I use it for everything. I live in the midwest so I don't see a lot real mountains or anything, but enjoy a cross stuntry type of trail. I am running a 2008 Marz 55 fork that has given me no problems, but might be ready for an upgrade. I was thinking of buying a new RS Lyric or a used Fox 36, but I got to thinking that I had plenty of spare parts lying around and that with some help from friends, I could probably build another bike for around 500.00. What would you do: upgrade one bike with better components, or have 2 bikes with average stuff (x7 and the like ). I suspect that there is no right or wrong answers, just curious to what others might do. Thanks

mtbr member
    I would start building a bike more in line with the terrain you live near. A more AM/Trail build with a 140mm of travel. Many people get caught up in the latest and greatest, the more travel gnarlier bike the better, but miss out on what it's like to ride a bike that will excel doing what it was designed for, and that my friend mean more fun for you.

≈ > ♥
    Given the 6 Point you already have, I'd build a fun hardtail.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    I'd get a new wheel set

mtbr member
    I would send that money to me....just sayin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Look on local classifieds for used hardtails. If you are lucky, you will find someone who has no idea how much there bike is worth and are selling it for dirt cheap. Happy Hunting!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
    I'd get a new wheel set
    wheels for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    New hardtail, as someone said, with a little luck you can find a very nice used one. I dream a Cr-Mo with 160mm travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Adjustable seatpost and conversion to 1x10

mtbr member
    got a fun problem like you right now op. got about 5fiddy in the bike slush fund! going back an forth on what i need vs what i want instead. My 2 rides are dialled right now so I'll probably fund a local bike trip instead.
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    As someone who also lives in the midwest, im not sure what id do with a freeride bike unless i traveled frequently, but since i dont, i stick to these midwest trails.
    Anyhow, i'd suggest building up a bike, as others have suggested, that suits the trails in our area; <140mm of travel and shave some weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Pump track/jump bike!
    BlkMkt Mob, P2, Stp used off craigslist or another source for previously used bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hookers and blow...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Replace your shittiest component, then save the rest or spend it on something more worthwhile. Hookers and blow would be fine.

greedy
    If you can't think of anything for your bike, consider buying tools. I started buying up tools a few years back and now there are very few repairs that I have to take my bike to the shop for. Which makes more money for new parts.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Buy my wife an ipad
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    invest in apple stock!

Ow!
    If you haven't hit the maximum yet, you could put it in a retirement account. Stock market may be goofy right now, but now is the time to buy. And tax deferred too.

But if you HAD to spend it bike related, you might buy a XC/AM hardtail frame and build it up. You may find you will be riding the hardtail more than the FS.

I picked up an On-one 456 this spring. Fun, fun, fun.

namagomi
    Take a trip.

Nickel Havr
    Pick up a Push tuned RS Monarch Plus RC3....

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I second the idea of building up a second bike. I just did this myself recently and picked up a dirt jump/street bike. It's a nice change of pace from my full squish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    I would start building a bike more in line with the terrain you live near. A more AM/Trail build with a 140mm of travel. Many people get caught up in the latest and greatest, the more travel gnarlier bike the better, but miss out on what it's like to ride a bike that will excel doing what it was designed for, and that my friend mean more fun for you.
    So true, I got caught up in the parts race. I built a Chromag with a 140 fork and its perfect.