mtbr member
    Aug 2017

What to upgrade on Cascade Peak 2011

Just bought this at a cheap price and just curious what would be a good idea to upgrade.
    Don't flame me for this question, but is it possible to change wheels and tires to 27.5 from 26"?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have the same bike although I bought it new in 2012. It is still my main ride. May I ask how much you got it for?

You definitely cannot change the wheel size. You're stuck with 26. Everything on the bike is actually pretty high end. X0 derailleur, avid elixir brakes, fox factory suspension.... I think reconditioning what you currently have is your best bet. If I were you I would get the suspension serviced/rebuilt. This will cost you like 300 bucks but your shocks will function like new. I noticed a huge improvement. Have your drive train looked at. Maybe need a new chain or cassette? Have the brakes bled and get some new pads. Make sure everything (frame pivots) are clean, lubed, and working correctly. Get some fresh tires and run them tubeless. Maybe some fresh grips.

All of the above will make the bike ride like new. This bike is extremely capable. It has plenty of suspension for bombing down but still climbs incredibly well. The suspension was tuned to the bike geometry so it works really well (I was once considering getting a different rear shock. Instead I got my original shock serviced). The avid brakes work really well. I know Shimano seems to be the name for brakes right now, but 2012 avids were pretty bomb proof. Mine still work amazingly. Sram x0 drivetrain is great and with a proper tune shifts as good as new. Fresh tires make a big difference. I am running a highroller 2 in back and I just ordered a minion dhf for the front.

If you really want to spend money you could get a dropper post, carbon bars, better wheels (carbon)… you could also convert it to a 1x10. However I have found I really like 2x10 and I'm not sure a 1x10 conversion is worth it. I wouldnt spend much on wheels because 26 seems to be a dying breed.

Hope this helps some. Feel free to ask me anything.