mtbr member
    Apr 2007

What type of headset do I have?

Its got a rather tall top piece that touches the bearings, I would prefer something smaller so I can get a more aggressive stance.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    you could just run your stem upside down roadie style, or get lower rise handlebars.

Dirt Deviant
    Looks like a cane creek S2 headset.
    But yea, just flip your stem. Look at the writing on it, it goes both ways.........= )

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ah yes, I could flip the stem!
    But the type, I know its threadless, but is there more than that, its got loose bearings.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Have you tried adjusting the bearing preload by loosening the stem bolts then tightening the stem cap? If that deosn't help that looks like am integrated headset to me, which you should be able to repace with a zero stack integrated headset, but I'd look up the specs on your bike to make sure.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/124_333...k-Headset.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The bearings are fine and are adjusted correctly.
    The specs say semi-integrated headset.
    Could it be replaced with an integrated one?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Are you sure it has loose bearings and not a cartridge bearing?

If it is 'integrated' the bearing cartridge fits right into the frame. If it is 'zero stack' there is a bearing cup that is pressed into the frame first. Either way you can get a headset that is 'tall stack' or 'short stack'. Yours is tall. Take a look at the cane creek website.

http://www.canecreek.com/is-2-is-2i-headsets.html

You can probably just replace the top from a 'short stack' headset.

Edit: It is a little hard to tell from the photo, but yours actually looks like a 'zero stack'. The washer looking piece between the frame and the tall headset piece may be a bearing cup. Though it is a little hard to tell from the photo.

mtbr member
    #1 it looks like you have a spacer above the top cap, you could switch that to above the stem to lower your bar 5mm, in addition to flipping the stem... if low bar height is what you are after.

#2: all my cane creek headsets came with 2 top caps, tall and short. If you just don't like the look of the tall top cap, I'm pretty sure cane creek could fix you up with a short top cap. You'd either need something to take up the space on the steerer or cut it and drive the star nut down (which obviously would be a permanent change; I'd think very hard before making).