Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

What trail wheelset have you all been buying?

I'm in the market for a trail wheelset that can take some riding with the dew.

I had my heart set on the Sun Ringle Charger Pro's, but I keep seeing reports of the rear axle adapters causes perceptible play and flex. Thats a deal breaker.

What would you recommend? My limitations are as follows:

- Up to $ 500.00 for the set
    - Below 1800 grams (many choices between 1900 and 2100)
    - preferably has a front axle adapter between qr, 15 and 20 mm.
    - ghetto and real tubeless compatible
    - good reputation for staying true and being reliable
    - preferably doesnt have a very low spoke count, 28 min.

Thanks!

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hope Pro + Mavic ex819

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    Hope Pro + Mavic ex819
    Over budget. I priced it out, over 600.

mtbr member
    Hope Hoops from Wiggle.co.uk seems to be the best deal and a bombproof wheelset too. I previously ordered my current wheelset from them last year on the cheap as well, Hope Pro II / Mavic EX721. Arrived in last than a week and did not pay any customs as well.

If I was buying today, I would get:

Hope Pro II Evo hubs on ZTR Flow rims, $267.50 rear, $144.50 front.

Comes out to $374.00 with free shipping to the USA if you order by Sept.27 and use code 20OFF_EVERY to get 20% off.

Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Rear Wheel Performance Wheels

Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel Performance Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    sorry wrong thread, delete
    Last edited by norton05; 09-25-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: wrong thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    .....I had my heart set on the Sun Ringle Charger Pro's, but I keep seeing reports of the rear axle adapters causes perceptible play and flex......

Thanks!
    I was also considering the Charger Pro wheels...where did you read the reports about flex problems with the rear axle adapters?

Shred all that can be
    Hope 2's laced to mavic EN521 with champion (whichever are 14-15g double butted) spokes and pro lock nipples... Punished this setup in the rediculously rocky Northeast and haven't heard a peep from 'em..
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzywater View Post
    I was also considering the Charger Pro wheels...where did you read the reports about flex problems with the rear axle adapters?
    dont have everything on hand, but here are a few reviews that are easy to get a hold of.

excerpts...

mtbr reviews...

"they are a bit flexy. Best felt when bombing downhill which is not so reassuring when blasting high speed. So with the flex involved i would say they are more XC oriented than AM. If they were on sale they would be worth purchasing. "

"The included end caps for the front fork give it alot of flexibility. I have a little play that won't go away in the rear hub. A local bike shop claims it is causing shifting issues (they put cass on other wheelsets and no problems). Also a tad bit flexy in the rear."

BikeRadar verdict
    2 out of 5 stars
    "Light, stiff, lively and tubeless-ready wheelset. Freehub bearings fail longevity tests"

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    If you can find any of the higher-level Bontrager Rhythm wheels, they're pretty stellar. I bought a used 07 Remedy that had been THRASHED on. Frame broke, got 2010 Remedy frame. 07 Fox 36 died, replaced with a Revelation. Of the original bike I still have the saddle, a headset spacer, brakes, and the Rhythm Elite wheelset.

They've been abused by whips off every little jump I can find on our local trails, a weeklong trip to Fruita and Moab, and even a day of downhill at Plattekill. I've torn apart and rebuilt them once, still have the original bearings. Stiff, relatively light, can be run tubeless. Totally winning wheelset.

mtbr member
    Hope Pro 2 EVOs laced to Flows - 32 spokes/wheel, Wheelsmith DB14, alloy nipples.

Nothing I have thrown at it so far has done anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You got.some good advice with the Hope/flow recommendation from wiggle. Another option is to hunt down a deal on the hubs and rims that you want and have a local builder spin up a set.

I have a set of Spank Oozey evos laced. to a WTB front and XT rear. awesome wheelsets. also have a front wheel from wiggle, hope on flow. seems to be built well and is a beefy wheel. for the price, the XT centerlock rear hub is hard to beat. you can find a deal on them and a nice rim of your choice and have a wheel built for $200. I like the XT rear hub over hope for the added POE, 36.

I've had some killer deals from Outsideoutfitters.com, Flows for cheapest price online and the Oozey's were only $65 from them. The Spanks can be run tubeless with Stan's tape and a valve. Mine are holding up tubeless very well. I highly recommend them.

mtbr member
    Check out universal cycles web site. They have a wheel builder tool that let's you build your own wheels. I would price out a decent rear hub and a lower cost front. There are not many differences in a 20mm front hub. You can cut cost here. They also have rims that they blow out from time to time, another cost cutter.

I have built four wheel sets with these guys. You get great quality. It's worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I haven't tried them yet but my LBS owner swears by the Stan's Flow wheels. He said he can get a set for me for around $500 (I have seen them online for @$500 as well but only with 20mm front and QR rear). According to him they are easy to convert to other axles which is a must for me. I have the 12mm maxle rear and I will be switching between a 15mm and 20mm front. I will be ordering a set soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    hope pro 2/ ringle equalizer 31s- 390 from CRC.

mtbr member
    Pro 2 hubs on flow rims here, I'm 200lbs without gear and like to bomb rocky descents, plus jump a bit, theme have been bomb proof for me over 2 years, I also converted the rear to 10 mm through bolt (using a dt rws axle), very easy and even easier if you buy the bearing tool set.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Pro 2's on Mavic 521s for one wheel set, no complaints at all.

Pro 2 Evo's on NS Trailmasters for the other bike, not ridden them yet, we'll see.

Rims are a matter of taste, but for mid priced hubs Pro 2 Evos are the best out there right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wiggle UK seems to offer the Hope/Flow combo at a price in my budget. Going to fill my cart

Thanks guys!

mtbr member

You won't be disappointed. Although I am after contacting Wiggle last night since they are not offering this combo in a Flow 29er wheelset and the cheapest I've seen is $570+.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    Wiggle UK seems to offer the Hope/Flow combo at a price in my budget. Going to fill my cart

Thanks guys!
    Keep us posted when you get them . . . . I'm also in the market for a new wheelset and for under $400 shipped with a set of Hope Pro II's?! Well that ain't bad at all.

The White Jeff W
    Just a heads up...I got Hope Hoops Flow wheels for my 29er and the rim strips weren't included. I went Gorilla tape method & its been fine.
    No moss...

wuss
    I was dissapointed at how easily I managed to flatspot a Flow, never had that with similar weight Mavic or DT rims. On the other hand you get a nicer tire profile on the Flow's so lose something / win something.

Went back to DT on my lighter wheelset and ex823 on the heavier one. Waiting to get to try the new e13 rims when they are available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Just a heads up...I got Hope Hoops Flow wheels for my 29er and the rim strips weren't included. I went Gorilla tape method & its been fine.
    Rim strips are not included because they are not needed. Yellow tape, however, would have been nice to be installed instead of the standard cloth rim tape.

I'm running mine with gorilla tape as well. The flow is a hard rim to get aired up with a hand pump. Make sure to use a tire lever to set the bead on the rim before trying to pump for the first time.

I'm on fire.
    A little late to the thread (damn OP pulled the trigger quick!)...but I've been really, really pleased with my Easton Havocs. Learned to jump over the last 3 years with them and, despite my lack of grace, they have held up amazingly. Only had to true them a couple times, and even then they weren't that off. Rarely ever pinch flat even running 28psi. Lots of setup options for the front axle, and the rear has a bolt-on kit available too.

BikeBling has been blowing out 2009 Havocs for $319 a pair!
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks for the wiggle link!!! wow, i've been wanting those wheels for a long time, great price!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justinhot996 View Post
    thanks for the wiggle link!!! wow, i've been wanting those wheels for a long time, great price!
    And that 20% off coupon has been extended for a little longer, just received that in a Wiggle email this morning. If only they offered these in a 29er Flow combo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast