Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

what tires are you running?

I have a Santa Cruz nomad built up as an AM/FR bike. I killed my old specialized enduro tires and bought some intense fro lites on sale. Immediately I noticed the major weight difference, which I could live with however, the rolling resistance is slow as hell, which I should have expected from rubber that sticky, but it kind of sucks. What tires are you running that might be fast rolllers for use in variable east coast conditions?? preferably 2.3's. I ride lots of skinnies, do some dropping and ride in some loamy conditions. Any technical answers preferred (including tpi, weights, compounds) over BS answers. Thanks, Steve.

R12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a Kona Dawg and rode Maaxis Advantage last season. OK tire, not great, for the varied terrain I traverse (from groomed trails to alpine landscape, in all types of weather), but decided to give the Schwalbe Noby Nic a try. Will probably post some impressions once I get fair weather.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ordered the schwalbes for this season in 2.25 with specific front and rears.
    They will go on my new 09 Nomad. Previously I rode Nevegal 2.35 and then swapped to some SB8 for a little more speed in the rear on my 06 Nomad.
    I loved the grip of the Nevegals (wire) however but were heavy especially with a little mud on them. I rode the Alberts last season on my LBS's Nomad and loved it in tandem with a Betty. They are a high volume tire so went with the 2.25. I think I can run slightly higher pressures with them and get some good rolling speed but keep decent traction. I ride in NE conditions so rocks and rooty.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/fat_albert_front

Edibles
    Kenda Excavator 2.35 dtc front with a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 Maxxpro 60a Rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I second the Excavator. I am running the 2.35 DTC on the front with great success.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Minion 2.5 Front
    Spec Eskar Control 2.3 Rear

Plenty of grip goin down, not to much friction/drag on the climb, on my Pitch Pro 08 that is...
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    IRC Mountain Cross Trailbears 2.5 up front
    IRC Mountain Cross VClaw 2.35 rear

They're both excelent on muddy conditions, Trailbear's have great traction on hardpack and loose over hardpack too, while the Vclaw slips on loose- over hardpack and dusty conditions. Great tires anyway though

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I really dig the 2.5 minions but aren't they a bit heavy for pedally applications? If Maxxis would make a true 2.35 (or at least close) DHF minion coming in around 850g, it would absolutely be my front tire of choice. The current 2.35 is just too skinny.

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Front
    Specialized Eskar Control 2.3 Rear

Perfect combo. They even look like they were designed to be togeather.

BOOST THAT SH*T!
    Schwalbe Fat Alberts UST
    "A splendid time was had by all and all were had." ~ Wire Train

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I run a 2.35 Blue Groove in front and a 2.35 High Roller rear. If the 2.35 High Roller was wider, I'd run them front and rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm currently running a 2.3 WTB Dissent front and a 2.3 WTB Prowler MX in the rear. Very surprised by these tires. They provide great traction and are quite fast.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ii dig the ol panaracer dart smoke combo..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Me got panaracer fire xc 2.1 but me in pacific northwet so me get nevegal stick-e's next. 2.1 in da back, 2.35 in da front. Me tired of being taken down by da wet roots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ardents 2.4 F/R

:\ ping of death

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ding9116
    Ii dig the ol panaracer dart smoke combo..
    +2

Best $40 Ive ever spent on my bike.
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Kenda Stick-e Blue Groove 2.35 front
    Kenda DTC Karma 2.2 rear

The Blue Groove really keeps the front hooked up and the Karma rolls nice and being a wide 2.2 it keeps plenty of traction, however if I'm not planning on pedaling as much I'll put the blue grooves on front and rear.
    I Ride Bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I run Nobby Nic 2.4 on my Scott Ransom SL. Good grip over all, but not great when it's wet (at least not compared to Minion 2.5 42a). They're pretty fast rolling. Nice and big air volume.
    The side walls could be stiffer, they tend to get a bit unstable when pushed hard in the corners, if I run low pressure. I guess thats the price you pay for relative lightness though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    intense c3 2.25 in my yeti 575, and they are quite grippy and predictable, i love them.

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider
    I really dig the 2.5 minions but aren't they a bit heavy for pedally applications? If Maxxis would make a true 2.35 (or at least close) DHF minion coming in around 850g, it would absolutely be my front tire of choice. The current 2.35 is just too skinny.
    I just bought some Minion DHF single ply from CRC. It's advertised as 2.5 but it's closer to Nevegal's 2.35. It has wire bead and Maxxpro 60a compound, weighing in at 850-860g on my digital scale. Since it has wire bead, I took a chance at converting it to tubeless with Stans goo. So far it's holding air well and has no bead burpage issue.

So this tire might be your call for true 2.35 Minion DHF.
    sth

mtbr member
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35 LUST UST 2 sets on 2 of my bikes
    Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 (Love these) on my hard tail
    Michelin DH on my DH rig clings to walls
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35 on the wife's hard tail
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35 LUST UST on her AM
    F88me самолюбивый член

Scott is a tool.
    Ardent 2.25 front and rear, and i've got mine running tubeless with no issues at all.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Continental Speed King 2.1 Supersonic. Fast as hell, and sticks like Marmalade on a blanket.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Late fall to late spring = 2.4 UST conti mountain kings
    Late spring to late fall = 2.4 UST front and rear specific schwalbe fat alberts
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Maxxis Ignitors UST. Want to get a new wheelset and maybe use a different tire, but so far I love these.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast