Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What style Pedals for AM do you use?

I purchased a set of TIME ATAC pedals and a pair of Shimano shoes to go with my new AM rig. The have the little metal brackets that clip into the pedals. Im kinda new to this so is that what most of you guys use for AM riding or are you using bigger style bmx pedals? I think I might have made the wrong decision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    CB Acid 1's.

mtbr member
    For techy stuff, Wellgo MG-1s (platforms) with 5 10s. (The 5 10s are awesome with platforms, they really stick to the pedal). For more XC riding, I move to CBs Mallet 1s and Shimano mtb shoes.

I came to mtb from road biking, and initially was riding straight up Eggbeaters. As I spend more and more time on technical riding, I have moved over to platforms. Now, I really like the platforms, especially after a riding buddy told me to get some 5 10s.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    CB Mallets, I used to have a set of 5050's on my bike, but now I'm gonna stick with the Clipless platforms

wait...what?
    5050s---7point
    Some Wellgos (not mg's??) who cares, i thrash and they work---Pimp giant trance 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have Mallet Cs, but they are absolutely useless with flat shoes, I'm forced to used clipless or have my feet slipping off.. DMR V12s are beefy and have some real good traction and so do MG-1s but MG-1s are super light. My next set will be either Acids or Candys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    I have Mallet Cs, but they are absolutely useless with flat shoes, I'm forced to used clipless or have my feet slipping off.. DMR V12s are beefy and have some real good traction and so do MG-1s but MG-1s are super light. My next set will be either Acids or Candys.
    Are you shitting me??
    Jesus are you going to use the Acids or Candy's with flat shoes too?

Don't make a bad report on a set of pedals you're not using as they are supposed to be used.

I use Ritchey v.2s (clipless) on all my bikes...
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 03-01-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Azonic Accelerators. Light, good grip, feel good, look neat. I wear knee/shin armor so I don't have to worry about destroying my shin on the cutout in the pedal.

Dirt Deviant
    Wellgo B77's, Azonic Fuzion, Easton Flatboys, DMR V-8's, I have and use all of those. All flats. The flatboys are the best out of those, the rest are a toss up as to which one is better. The fuzions are great for a budget shopper, you can find em on sale for like 20-25 bux. Really long pins, grippy. I like the flatboys the best because I have huge feet and they have a nice concave shape and are really big. B77's are the next biggest, with the DMR and Fuzions about similar size.
    The DMR V-8's are cool because they have a grease port and can be filled with fresh grease if they need it. Nice feature.
    I recently mashed one of my flatboys into a rock through a sharp turn and it held up nice.
    If I had done the same with the Fuzions it prolly would have ripped a pin or two out since they are magnesium.
    The flatboys look the least aggressive, at least as far as pin count is concerned, but I swear they grip so well. Worth every penny.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/115...ium-Pedals.htm
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/168...-V8-Pedals.htm
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/173...-DH-Pedals.htm
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...B77-Pedals.htm

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    Are you shitting me??
    Jesus are you going to use the Acids or Candy's with flat shoes too?

Don't make a bad report on a set of pedals you're not using as they are supposed to be used.
    No, its just that that mallets Cs are useless with flat shoes and I don't have a reason to have an extra 250g when I don't use the platform. They're a nice pedal and hold up well but without pins and the eggbeater wings sticking up, its just too slick.

Off the back...
    Shimano XT. Bees knees.

mtbr member

Pedals

Specialized Lo-Pro Mags, 5-10s. Love em. Originally ran 50-50s till i found these, just so damn grippy..........

mtbr member
    i use xtr super solid

more carbon=more awesome
    I've been using cheap platform clipless like Keywin and Wellgo for years, always with Shimano clips, but I've just switched to CB Acid 2s. They take slightly longer to clip into at the moment, but I'll get used to that. They are better to get out of though and I'm very pleased with my change. I think the size of the pedal is great. Smaller and much lighter than my old pedals, but with enough platform to feel really secure.
    Flats have some advantages on really dodgy terrain, but I like to be clipped in.

b.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Shred all that can be
    DMR V8's
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    CB Acid 2s...in white because who the heck would get a white pedal for dirt.

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Used to use CB Candys now use CB Mallet2s,love 'em but i use them Clipless as intended

mtbr member
    Blackspire Big Slims

mtbr member
    No, its just that that mallets Cs are useless with flat shoes and I don't have a reason to have an extra 250g when I don't use the platform. They're a nice pedal and hold up well but without pins and the eggbeater wings sticking up, its just too slick.
    Maybe (and perhaps it's just me, but who knows i'm kinda crazy), it's because the Mallets aren't AT ALL meant to be used with flat shoes??

They're clipless pedals dude, using skate shoes or whatever on them is as dangerous as is stupid.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    time Z's. love those things. easy to get in and out of no matter the conditions

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    Maybe (and perhaps it's just me, but who knows i'm kinda crazy), it's because the Mallets aren't AT ALL meant to be used with flat shoes??

They're clipless pedals dude, using skate shoes or whatever on them is as dangerous as is stupid.
    And if I'm not using clipless shoes why would I need such a big platform? I bought them so I could use them for flatsand clipless shoes but in the end they only work for clipless, so I'm better off getting a lighter clipless pedal and switch it to flats pedals whenever I need it.

mtbr member
    And if I'm not using clipless shoes why would I need such a big platform? I bought them so I could use them for flatsand clipless shoes but in the end they only work for clipless, so I'm better off getting a lighter clipless pedal and switch it to flats pedals whenever I need it.
    if you're in a tight place and you need to unhook your cleats you have somewhere to place your foot while you get the chance to rehook.

Anything else?
    Don't be so stubborn about it dude, they're not made to be used as platforms only.

vik
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

NRG Slabalanche pedals - love 'em on my Nomad.

safe riding,

Vik
    www.thelazyrando.com

Platforms For Life
    If you learn to ride eggbeaters with flats, you will never complain about pedals ever again. I do this to work sometimes =P
    2008 GT Force 3.0
    2009 Bianchi Pista fixie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast