Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What pressures are you running on your Conti Trail king UST?

So I have had these tires, Black Chili compound for a short time now running full UST with some pretty narrow, (19mm internal) older Mavic crossmax wheels.

I have been airing down little by little just to see how much I can push the grip.

I bombed down some local trails the other day, (Midtown and Crazy Ivan) and when I got home, found that my front tire had only 13.5psi!

I really love these tires and I know that 13.5 I likely wont do again, but I did not feel any rim contact with the ground, even on decent sized drops.

I also could not lock up or slide the front wheel even while breaking on steep, loose trail switchbacks.

I plan to likely run the back around 25ish and the front around 20psi.

They really do hook up and come alive with the lower pressures and with my narrower wheels and the sidewall thickness and height, I don't see an issues with it.

Maybe when I ride a trail like Preston, that is really rocky, I'll add a bit more air.

Your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had a 2.2 UST on the rear running at 28psi. Rims were originally Mavic EN321 (21mm internal) in ghetto tubeless and then switched to WTB i23 (23mm internal) with rim tape. I'm about 240lbs kitted up.

I did try lower with the Mavic rims, but found the sidewalls would fold in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I love TK2.4 ust and mavic rims (crossmax sx 21mm wide) but would burp on big hits if I was lower than about 25 psi. So I'd run them at 28-30 to play it safe

Huffy Rider
    2.2 on 21 internal, 155lbs kitted, 24/25 lbs. No squirming, no burbs.

Hubby ran 2.2 on 19 internal, 185lbs kitted, 28 lbs or he would burb. Now he has a 23 inner but only has 3 rides on them so the pressure is still being tested.

Brenda

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Where'd you get them?!?!

mtbr member
    Get what?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator8 View Post
    Get what?
    I forgot I wasn't in a 29er forum. Still waiting to get the Black Chili Trail Kings for wagon wheels.

mtbr member
    I had a trail king 2.4 on a spank stiffy 40mm rim that pinch flatted (through the tire) at around 20-25. Swithced it to the back with a tube and it stayed at 40psi till i switched it. I weigh 180 gearded up and aboit 160-165 without..

I love hard tires... .

Some people lower psi as much as they can without it being squirmy
    Not me i put as much air in with out it getting crazy on the rocks, deflection wise

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was just about to start a thread for the same reason. what size tk Op? I just got a 2.4 used on ebay. not sure if its ust. its not labeled protection or anything. its is so huge I kinda tripped out once I mounted it. so I was kinda curious where to start with this thing. im 190 without gear and I ran a minion 2.5 at 20 and it didn't seem to fold over at all. im thinking I could probably get away with 20-25 on this balloon. 13.5! what do you weight?

I'm with stupid
    I run 30 rear 2.2 on a croxxmax 19mm wheel and 22psi front on the older XT wheels 27mm worked great on the front at low pressure the back would fold over pretty good and feel strange.

mtbr member
    89psi...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
    89psi...
    hows compliance and grip? I was thinking of doing that to lessen rolling resistance.

mtbr member

Re: What pressures are you running on your Conti Trail king UST?

Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    I was just about to start a thread for the same reason. what size tk Op? I just got a 2.4 used on ebay. not sure if its ust. its not labeled protection or anything. its is so huge I kinda tripped out once I mounted it. so I was kinda curious where to start with this thing. im 190 without gear and I ran a minion 2.5 at 20 and it didn't seem to fold over at all. im thinking I could probably get away with 20-25 on this balloon. 13.5! what do you weight?
    So I have a 2.4just on the front and a 2.2 non just on the rear.

I weigh like 182 naked, likely close to 200 with all my dumb **** on.

I love the fat ass 2.4 in front. I ride a 2011 enduro. I'm going to a lift access park tomorrow, I'm starting out with 21psi front and 25 rear. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    hows compliance and grip? I was thinking of doing that to lessen rolling resistance.
    I also wear spandex & a roadie helmet for less resistance..

Huffy Rider
    21 seems kinda low. I run a 2.4 on my DH bike and it works best at 24/25. Much lower and it squirms when pushing hard into corners.

usually cranky
    2.2 on sun charger tubeless, i still run about 30psi 3v3n though i am 150. i like my tires pretty firm.

usually cranky
    sorry, didnt notice the ust part, mine are non ust.

mtbr member
    My rear is TK 2.2 and I run it at 25 psi on a Bonty Duster rim (22mm inner width). I am around 160 lbs riding weight.

Few things to consider....riding style, inner rim width can make a big difference as to what pressure feels right (i.e. can go silly low on my 25.4mm wide Flow EX...18 psi with Specy Clutch 2.3 2bliss). Not to mention accuracy of the pump gauge. The gauge on my floor pump is pretty much useless. I use it as a rough guideline, but there is easily a 5-15 psi difference when I attach my digital air gauge. So keep that in mind...highly likely that all the psi numbers that are being mentioned here are not an apples to apples comparison.

usually cranky
    ^thats true, i use the gauge to guess but ultimatley use the squeeze test.

mtbr member

Re: What pressures are you running on your Conti Trail king UST?

I rode Stevens pass today, very bumpy and lots of opportunities for sharp rock impacts, I started out with 21 front and 25 rear, after a few laps, went to 23 in front, I still was gripping great, and less worried about renting my rim. After 41 miles at bike park, I still have many off my little rubber sprue thingies. These tires seem to be the best of both worlds, grip and longevity...

mtbr member
    OK, so I had my first Burp on the rear 2.2 non ust last night.

I was running around 28psi and really railing corners on a trail called VooDoo Child at Duthie Hill.

I was consistently sliding my rear around the corners, and bragging to my buds that these tires will often slide just a but then re-grab and stick. Sure enough, I ended up burping in one of the corners and lost about a third of my air.

the tire had an awful wobble to it and I had to walk it down the rest of the trail as it was hitting my frame.

I tried to let some air out but i could not get rid of the wobble. The bead was seated evenly all the way around as I could see the little line around the circumference indicating so.

What happened was the bead broke, one side of the tire rotated slightly then the stans did its job and resealed the tire.

I had to break the bead and just put a tube in it.

I think I am just going to run a tube in this one as it is the non ust and I have a whistler trip coming up in a week and a half and don't want to muck with it.

I have heard of others burping and they just put more air in and they are fine.

Just an update, I still love the tires and intend to use them going foreword.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I run the non-UST, BC compound, TK 2.4, on Flow EX's at 26psi front and rear, tubeless with Stans. I haven't had any issues with burping or pinching even plowing through some gnarly rock gardens. I've run them down to 24psi but I didn't like how they felt that low.

Huffy Rider
    NON UST and UST are two different tires, made of two different compounds in two different countries. Next.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That may be the case with CURRENT production tires but the ones I have are Black Chili, Handmade in Germany, Apex sidewall versions. This version has been discontinued and replaced by one with the ProTection + Apex sidewall. Next.

mtbr member
    Next...

Both tires are black chili made in Germany.

I agree that the tires are different, beefier and non porous sidewalls in addition to a more standardized UST bead are the main diffs between my two tires.

My plan is to keep the tube in the rear till it wears out and get the UST 2.2 to replace it.

Also, I am making things more difficult as my wheels are mavic crossmax almost 10 years old and the internal width is pretty narrow my today's standards at 19mm.

Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    NON UST and UST are two different tires, made of two different compounds in two different countries. Next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast