mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What handlebars?

I'm after some handlebars with a 1.5in rise. I don't want anything too heavy but don't want to go carbon, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I have a Race Face Deus Stem, and have had Race Face low riser bars in the past and liked them, but the 1.5in rise bars they have seem kinda heavy. Is that right? What else could I look at?

ride hard take risks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm digging my Easton EA-50 mid riser bar.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    best bars i ever used are Easton EA70....not very heavy either. Maybe 40 grams heavier than their carbon equivalent.

Only reason I am selling mine is cause i went weight-weenie on this bike to save the 40 grams.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

cheers

%$#$*!
    I second the protapers. nice sweep and upward rise. they're light too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So with the protapers, they don't come in a 1.5in rise do they? I guess it's a personal preference thing, but for my Nomad, would going the 1in or 2in rise be better? I'm thinking the 2in because I don't want to get too far over the front wheel as I like the way the bike goes down hill with the set up at the moment.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi
    So with the protapers, they don't come in a 1.5in rise do they? I guess it's a personal preference thing, but for my Nomad, would going the 1in or 2in rise be better? I'm thinking the 2in because I don't want to get too far over the front wheel as I like the way the bike goes down hill with the set up at the moment.

Take a look at the Amoeba Scud bar. I looked at the usual offerings in 31.8mm and this bar bet the lot. Nice rise and sweep.
    Get it from here since you're in NZ: http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/P..._bike/MHBAD140

banned
    there is only one handlebar approved for "All Mountain" riding.

it's the $250 Jones H-Bar.

if you don't have one, you're not even close to riding "All Mountain" style.

banned
    it's cute the way your "analysis" is bogus as hell.

but I'm sure it sounded convincing inside your brain.

ride hard take risks
    Better yet 1/2 in spacer with 1 in riser.

%$#$*!
    depends on what bars you had before. I had an old pair of 1.5" rise syncros bars that didn't have any upsweep. the 1" protapers upsweep ended up putting my hands roughly at the same height.
    your safe bet would probably be to get the 1" bars and adjust with spacers, like dogonfr said.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    there is only one handlebar approved for "All Mountain" riding.

it's the $250 Jones H-Bar.

if you don't have one, you're not even close to riding "All Mountain" style.
    that is a good point. my understanding of XC approved riser bars is that only the On-One Mary bars fit that bill.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    that is a good point. my understanding of XC approved riser bars is that only the On-One Mary bars fit that bill.
    unless you're on a 29er that is.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    unless you're on a 29er that is.
    good point....i forgot the rule that any sort of rise on a 29er is illegal in the continental US....i have received much grief for my DH risers on mine. I am ashamed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Haha, yeah OK fair enough. My reasoning might have been a bit messed up! Thanks for the help though!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Take a look at the Amoeba Scud bar. I looked at the usual offerings in 31.8mm and this bar bet the lot. Nice rise and sweep.
    Get it from here since you're in NZ: http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/P..._bike/MHBAD140

I second the SCUD, awesome bar. Light, tough, German engineering and a cool looking weave pattern. Been using one for almost a year, flawless.