mtbr member
    Nov 2008

What is a good Wheel/tire combo for

I am running a 2008 Trek Fuel EX 8 with the stock Bontrager Race Disc rims and Bontrager Jones XR Tires. The problem is I have been straight DESTROYING them. The bike runs awesome, but I am constantly getting flats from thorns and and a few from pinches (once was due to pressure, the other was from landing a jump on a particularly unforgiving rock). The tires in my opinion seem to be more of a lightweight racing tire and I am looking to upgrade to something beefier that is more suitable for a harder ride. I am ready to replace tires, rims, tubes or all three to accomplish this. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sir Hurt Locker
    My recommendation are the Kenda Nevegals, they are just amazing IMO. I was riding Specialized Resolution tires before and the Nevegals are much better in cornering and gripping rocky/rooty terrain. My brother runs the Kenda Small Block Eights and he loves those but they aren't that great in wet conditions. They are better than my tires on dry hardpack though. A great combo from what I hear is running the Nevegal up front and a Small Block Eight in the back. My brother and I are considering trading a tire each to run this combo. I recently saw a bike review in a magazine (I think it was the latest Bike mag) and the tested bike was running this combination of tires. My $0.02
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i love my nevegal up front. never ran one in the back, but its absolutely perfect up front.. its just a 2.1, but its huge.. looks like a 2.3. the 2.3 looks like a 2.5+. great tires.

backwoods and backwards
    Stick-e 2.3 nevegals mounted ghetto tubeless style will be pretty much bomb proof for your all mountain needs. If you want to do the wheels too, you can't beat outlaws for the price.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Those stock tires do blow, nevigal up front wont do you wrong, but I have to warn you they have a lot more rolling resistance, nevigal for the front is ok, but you might also want to check out some shwalbe and maxis tire.

squish is good
    It should be noted that most single ply tires are going to pinch flat equally easy. If you want to go to a more robust sidewall you can find 2-ply tires in 2.3 sizes. Or you can just run a higher pressure. With WTB Dual Duty FR rims and 2.35 single ply Nevy's I would pinch flat regularly unless I ran them above 40 psi.

What pressure are you running now and what is your riding weight, including equipment?
    Bike good, work bad.

TLL
    mtbr member
    WTB Stout front, Prowler rear. Awesome combo. Kinda slow tho.

You do not need to replace your rims.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been running a Kenda Blue Groove Stick E in a 2.35 on the front and a Kenda Karma 2.2 in DTC on the rear and loving it. Sometimes I run Karmas the whole way around. My buddy has the same bike you do and is probably goint go to with karmas on both ends.
    I Ride Bikes.