Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Most important would be to get the hardest compound you can get. No dual or triple compounds, ir you'll have a racing slick in no time. Second most important would be Maxxis. Yeah, personal opinion, whatever. I've been riding a long time, and maxxis tires seem to ast the longest and perform the best, IMO. The Larsen TT or the Crossmark would be decent I bet, especially the Crossmark. Even the Holy Roller might work too, although it might be rather scary on actual dirt trails. But like you said, anything with a big, tall, tightly packed strip of tread down the center of the tire would be ideal. Just don't get a low-tread xc tire like the Aspen and expect it to last long on the pavement.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Larger volume is not more rolling resistance. It really depends more on the tread. These Jack Browns roll just as well as the 23mm Conti Gatorskins they replaced. And I will ride these happily over gravel/dirt roads and the crappiest pavement out there.

^^It also depends on what type of surface you're riding on. I'm sure you'd be faster on 23's than 33's, if you were riding on a sheet of glass. On the average road, rather different matter.

mtbr member
    May 2014

What is a good intermediate terrain 26" tire with good road manners?

Running Michelin pro 4 endurance on the road bike. Happy with them so far but isolating that bike to roads and paved paths.

mtbr member
    May 2014

What is a good intermediate terrain 26" tire with good road manners?

Next project is a carbon fat bike build! Hard to find a 21cm+ frame. Since thats purely a fun project i'm going to import one of the asian carbon frames and build it. They are only about $600 with Carbon forks for the bare frames.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: What is a good intermediate terrain 26" tire with good road manners?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Knight View Post
    Running Michelin pro 4 endurance on the road bike. Happy with them so far but isolating that bike to roads and paved paths.
    I have a set of those on my track bike. Haven't tried 'em off-road, but I usually use Continental Grand Prix 4000s on my road bike, which are pretty much in the same class. People are way too nervous about damaging this kind of tire - it's pretty much the same construction as a XC tire, usually with more puncture protection. Gives one an appreciation for volume and a tread pattern.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3