Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RideDirt

New question here. What FS bike for a $3k budget?

Hey guys i would like something that is built tough to handle the downhills but also be able to climb some small hills and handle some small jumps. Which bike would you guys go with ? and is 3K EVEN enough for a decently good FS bike? The trails i ride are not CRAZY or EXTREME and i am by no means a pro or compete, just would like a solid bike . What would you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    WC Blur lt, Stumpy, trek ex or remedy. Start shopping your LBS. Sounds like you'll need to do a parking lot ride at the least because you don't seem to have anything in mind. If you aren't going to best the help out of It, a 5 inch trail bike might fit the bill.

RideDirt
    I'm just trying to find a bike that has a solid frame and will work with the way I ride .

With specialized I can get decent bike with a nice frame but components like driveterrain are not too great

With trek I get everything pretty good including driveterrain but is a bit out of my price range I think ? Couldn't find much from trek in a 3k budget .

The Yeti 575 on jensonusa seems like a good deal for 3100 .
    Last edited by aedubber; 08-04-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Whichever you prefer from one of the bigger three, Trek, Specialized or Cannondale. At that price point, you can't beat their economy of scale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    and is 3K EVEN enough for a decently good FS bike?
    3K is probably twice what you need to spend to meet these requirements.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    double post

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    it's tough for people to recommend, with specifics, in response to this statement:
    "something that is built tough to handle the downhills but also be able to climb some small hills and handle some small jumps"

-small climbs usually yield small downhill sections so what kind of DH are we talking about?
    -what is a "small" jump?
    -where and how do you ride?
    what are you looking to get out of the bike (be specific)?
    -what is your background? just getting started? getting back into it?
    -how big are you?

my point was that it doesn't sound like you have much experience with bikes in general and the question is pretty broad. if you're just looking for a good all-rounder that will excel on singletrack and take a bit of a beating then the possibilities are numerous. You're pretty much looking at the 120mm to 150mm travel trail bike. This is why I recommended looking at the LBS and test riding. Do you know enough about the geometry that you're looking for that you'll be able to buy a bike online without sitting on it/parking lot test ride to check out the size and feel?

If you can live with your current bike until the fall, you will have a lot more choices when the bikes go on clearance sale. I've only paid full retail on a bike one time. A few weeks after I bought it, the price dropped by 15%. That would have bought a nice helmet. Just a thought.

RideDirt
    Sorry about the vague thread I guess . Well I used to ride a little Bmx style in my younger teens , now I want to get back and just ride and enjoy it for myself . I weigh 190 pounds , I am 5"9"" .. I like going fast and hard on trails , I ride roots , rocks , small little mounds , some small log piles , like to take some small 2-4ft jumps . If I'm not climbing , them I'll just walk the bike up the hill and then ride down .

I want the bike to give me good cornering , need it to be strong ( in case i crash or bail lol ) , something reliable that's all .. I love ripping singletracks as hard as I can

I'm in no rush either to make a purchase so I can wait for a good deal . Just trying to third out which big name companies will offer menthe best bang for the buck and a decent fs bike .

mtbr member
    Do what I did,let someone else take the hit in paying full retail.It was ALOT of fun and I spent much less than 3K...I purchased a 08,slightly used Santa Cruz Nomad frame and rear shock from the Classifieds on this site,the build started there.I started buying parts from this site and pinkbike and feebay,some used and some new!When it was all said and done I ended up with what I think is the best ONE do it all bike,and knowing nobody else has one identical, and it was something I created was the best part!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What FS bike for a k budget?-ring-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Whichever you prefer from one of the bigger three, Trek, Specialized or Cannondale. At that price point, you can't beat their economy of scale.
    Bigger three doesn't include Giant? (Reign or Trance)
    Their specs are pretty good in that price range.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    You can get El Guapo frame for $1200, find Fox Van 36, and hit Ebay Asian sellers for an SLX/XT build kit, and UK sellers for Hope or Nukeproof or SLX wheelset. Would be an awesome bike under 3K, but you need to be very comfortable with building an maintaining everything yourself.

RideDirt
    I was looking at the 2010 spec enduro comp .. Has a price of 3k and seems good .

mtbr member
    I was looking at the 2010 spec enduro comp .. Has a price of 3k and seems good .
    You could buy a decent used car for $3k, so yes, that bike is pretty good. All you really need to decide on, if you're intent on buying new, is how much travel you want, and then go take some test rides. They'll all be great bikes at that range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    enduro would be a good bike. so would the stumpy. 4 ft to flat drop would probably be the most the stumpy was built to handle on a regular basis. a smooth, good rider can take drops on a tricycle.

any bike in the 5 to 6 inch category should suit you well. the slacker the head tube / seat tube angles, the more DH oriented the bike will feel. lots more variables go into it but you get the idea.

try and find a few bikes that you like and then start asking specifics about those on your short list.

RideDirt
    Thanks guys , it's gonna have to be the enduro or stumpjumper comp carbon .. Those are gonna e the 2 , I don't want too much of a slack cuz I don't do all DH , I'm more xc/am but would like to do some DH but not so extreme that I need 180 or 203mm travel lol .

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I purchased a 2011 Enduro Comp for well under $3000.00 (new). Look around, bike shops are having sells to move inventory. I'm sure you can find other bike brands on sale as well. For example, I called one bike shop and they were $400.00 more on the Enduro than what I bought it for. Shop, I did a lot of homework and waiting before I made the purcahse. Good luck !!!

RideDirt
    Ya I mean where I bought my hardrock spec was at a LBS , so I'll prob go back to them and see what type of price they will gimmie

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Buy nos. My lbs has a nomad with a lyrik for 2.7 k, and another with a domain for 1.99k. Cant be beat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys , it's gonna have to be the enduro or stumpjumper comp carbon .. Those are gonna e the 2 , I don't want too much of a slack cuz I don't do all DH , I'm more xc/am but would like to do some DH but not so extreme that I need 180 or 203mm travel lol .
    Can't go wrong either way.

mtbr member

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Bigger three doesn't include Giant? (Reign or Trance)
    Their specs are pretty good in that price range.

My bad, never really looked at Giants in the past, but they do seem to be well liked.

mtbr member
    I got a Stumpy Elite for $2700. I really enjoy riding this bike. Lots of fun, and isn't that what riding is all about?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What FS bike for a k budget?-stmpjrfsrelite2011.jpg  

RideDirt
    ^^^ sicckkkk and I love it !! You paid 2700 brand new ? How does it handle on some rough downhill terrain ?

mtbr member
    as stated, the stumpy elite as it's a 140mm. My first choice would probably be a reign x or something in that price range, or a diamondback mission. but if I had to choose between all those an I could get a yeti 575 for 3, I would probably go yeti. I'm have an ibis mojo hd a little above the 3k budget. Definitely shop around and ride them all cuz you may do what I did, I bought the genius an it's a GREAT bike, but... not "all mountain" enough for me.
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

RBSBiking
    May 2011
    For 3k you should check out the Fezzari Nebo Peak. I dont think you can get anything spec'd like that for that kind of money.
    Amazing bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball_jones View Post
    3K is probably twice what you need to spend to meet these requirements.
    I totally agree. In my search I had it narrowed down between a Giant Trance and a Norco Fluid. I ended up going with the Fluid since I managed to get a 2010 model from my LBS for $1,100. I think far too many people get transfixed on the top component bike. For me it was simple, I have a good starting platform and changed out a few components like bars and a bash-guard. Though I have already started stocking and pricing parts for the future.

mtbr member
    ^^^ sicckkkk and I love it !! You paid 2700 brand new ? How does it handle on some rough downhill terrain ?
    They list for $3100. From your original post it sounds like what I like to do with a bike. I'm looking at turning fifty soon, and this is my first full suspension bike. I have nothing to compare it to. I have an older Iron Horse hard tail I've used to stay in shape with. All I can tell you is it puts a smile on my face when I point it downhill. It's a trail bike with a little attitude mixed in. I live in NorthEast Pa. We have lots of rocks. The suspension is very active and works great. I prefer to travel to New York state and ride there, much more fun, smooth, flowy, and fast. I like the bike alot. You can't go wrong with any of the bikes mentioned. So many choices, so little time.

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention the Enduro comp was my 2nd choice.

Dropshot Champ!
    um, buy a sick bike gently used, the market right now is FANTASTIC for used bikes.

then save the other 1500

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBurnsie View Post
    They list for $3100. From your original post it sounds like what I like to do with a bike. I'm looking at turning fifty soon, and this is my first full suspension bike. I have nothing to compare it to. I have an older Iron Horse hard tail I've used to stay in shape with. All I can tell you is it puts a smile on my face when I point it downhill. It's a trail bike with a little attitude mixed in. I live in NorthEast Pa. We have lots of rocks. The suspension is very active and works great. I prefer to travel to New York state and ride there, much more fun, smooth, flowy, and fast. I like the bike alot. You can't go wrong with any of the bikes mentioned. So many choices, so little time.
    Yes it def sounds like the bike would fit me great , I live in north new jersey so you know hOw the terrain is here lol . Plus maybe next year I wanna try out diablo at mountain creek , the DH tracks looks crazy !!

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by amirwhite View Post
    For 3k you should check out the Fezzari Nebo Peak. I dont think you can get anything spec'd like that for that kind of money.
    Amazing bike.
    DAMN lol that bike is LOADED with EVERYTHING , but how can they sell it for so little price? Is the frame sucky on it or something? Cuz thats a steal with all those components on it.

mtbr member
    Picking up a Transition Bandit myself in a couple weeks. Could not be happier!!

RideDirt
    I am still stuck on the 2011 Enduro Comp .

mtbr member
    In all honesty you need to go demo some bikes man, 3k is a lot of money (well to me it is) and you should be wise on how you spend it and make sure your 100% sure on your purchase. Good luck

mtbr member
    You can get a specialized discounted pretty heavily. Don't pay retail for it. I had one shop offer me a 2011 Enduro Expert for $3600 without even negotiating.

Nickel Havr
    I just picked up a Santa Cruz Nickel at my LBS (JB Mountain Bikes) for less than $2k... I ride in SE Pa so the trails we ride are probably similar. It's a perfect fit for me after riding a IronHorse Maverick 4.2 FS for the past couple of years.

However if you don't get real hardcore in the DH.... I was looking at a Giant Yukon. Seems like a decent ride and it's under $1k!

My Santa Cruz....
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

RideDirt
    Yes , I'm gOnna have to try and demo some bikes , problem is sometimes they don't keep the higher end bikes inside , but well see .

Rednose/Greenback
    Don't know how far you are from the coast but it can't be that much. What about a fat bike? Have a look the many beach riding photos posted over in the Fat Bikes Forum and see what I mean. Seems like a LOT of happy campers to me.

You could get a stock Pugsley for little more than 1/2 your 3K budget and possibly open up a realm of undiscovered riding opportunities close by. And you'd still have enough cash for a 2nd bike, especially a used one. The recommendations to test ride first and consider used options is sound advice. But if your near the coast, a fat tire bike might also be worth considering.

On wuss patrol
    There are decent deals on the classifieds here on mtbr.com. $2000-$2500 for a lot of bike, some spec'd quite nice and "gently" used.

Here's one of my favs at $2500: 2009 IBIS MOJO, medium - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    How about a Trek Rumblefish for about $2400 ?

mtbr member
    you could do a Butcher RAM for $2800, under Package Deals....

Santa Cruz Bicycles

mtbr member
    I really like my Specialized Pitch, little less travel than the Enduro, but good for the riding I'm doing now (similar to what you describe). Got it used for well under your budget too.

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    I was riding Specialized for years starting with the old M2 Comps in the mid 90's.

I was just in the same boat, looking for a mid 2K FS. I just came off and Epic29 Comp that didn't have enough travel for the Tahoe terrain I was riding. I planned on going back to a 26 after spending some time on a Trek EX8. My first stop was to look at Specialized and the Stump and Enduros. The Stump felt at home from what I liked with a Specialized geometry but the Enduro fits completely different and didn't like it at all. I am not an aggressive rider, so there was no place that I felt I would need 6" of travel so it came down to 5" bikes, Trek EX8, Stump, and Giant Trance. You can go rock paper scissors with any of the three. I went with a Trance X2 demo for 1799. But I would have been just as happy with a similar deal on the other two. But see what fits you. Oh, and when test riding, make sure they set the suspension up for your weight, all the difference in a test ride.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Woods Ready
    Look for a new 2011. I found a FSR EVO with a $4000 price tag and before I walked out they offered it to me for $3000...without ANY haggling.

RideDirt
    Sweet !! Sounds good guys , how can I demo these bikes ? Most shops dont have $3k bikes laying around on the floor to demo .

Big Test Icycles
    Keep an eye on the Pivot web site. They sell off their demo bikes quite often. You migt pick up a 5.7 at a good deal.

mtb 4 life
    You should do your research on the fezzari. Ive done a ton (before I purchased mine... as you can see im a big fan) more research than I ever thought i would. I looked at a few newspaper articles about them, researched there owner, there team. THEY ARE AMAZING! I sware on my life I dont work for them or anything. Just call them. They have the friendliest customer service you could imagine. They also custom size your bike based on your leg length, torso, shoulder width, etc. When you order a bike from them, you can custom order whatever you want on it (different cranks, derrailers, brakes, forks, bars, even computers). I have 2 friends that own fs bikes from them, and they are a dream to ride. I had a Kings Peak custom built for me, and as soon as it comes in (next friday) ill post a review and some pics and stuff. I got my bike built for around 1200$ and trust me, it was a steal. There is one thing I dont like about there bikes. That is they put frickin logos everywhere you look on them. If you can get passed that than youll be satisfied. Heres there page ' Why Fezzari '... should show you they mean business. Why Fezzari? | Fezzari Bikes

RideDirt
    Thanks but i already pre ordered the 2012 spec enduro comp ..

icalebkim
    Let us know how it goes - post up a picture when you get it, and a ride review!

RideDirt
    Ya def !! I was trying to find out an ETA for the bike from the LBS , ill have to check with them in a couple weeks, as the eastcoast shipments are suppose to be early-mid sept.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast