Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    RideDirt

New question here. What FS bike for a $3k budget?

Hey guys i would like something that is built tough to handle the downhills but also be able to climb some small hills and handle some small jumps. Which bike would you guys go with ? and is 3K EVEN enough for a decently good FS bike? The trails i ride are not CRAZY or EXTREME and i am by no means a pro or compete, just would like a solid bike . What would you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    WC Blur lt, Stumpy, trek ex or remedy. Start shopping your LBS. Sounds like you'll need to do a parking lot ride at the least because you don't seem to have anything in mind. If you aren't going to best the help out of It, a 5 inch trail bike might fit the bill.

RideDirt
    I'm just trying to find a bike that has a solid frame and will work with the way I ride .

With specialized I can get decent bike with a nice frame but components like driveterrain are not too great

With trek I get everything pretty good including driveterrain but is a bit out of my price range I think ? Couldn't find much from trek in a 3k budget .

The Yeti 575 on jensonusa seems like a good deal for 3100 .
    Last edited by aedubber; 08-04-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Whichever you prefer from one of the bigger three, Trek, Specialized or Cannondale. At that price point, you can't beat their economy of scale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    and is 3K EVEN enough for a decently good FS bike?
    3K is probably twice what you need to spend to meet these requirements.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    double post

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    it's tough for people to recommend, with specifics, in response to this statement:
    "something that is built tough to handle the downhills but also be able to climb some small hills and handle some small jumps"

-small climbs usually yield small downhill sections so what kind of DH are we talking about?
    -what is a "small" jump?
    -where and how do you ride?
    what are you looking to get out of the bike (be specific)?
    -what is your background? just getting started? getting back into it?
    -how big are you?

my point was that it doesn't sound like you have much experience with bikes in general and the question is pretty broad. if you're just looking for a good all-rounder that will excel on singletrack and take a bit of a beating then the possibilities are numerous. You're pretty much looking at the 120mm to 150mm travel trail bike. This is why I recommended looking at the LBS and test riding. Do you know enough about the geometry that you're looking for that you'll be able to buy a bike online without sitting on it/parking lot test ride to check out the size and feel?

If you can live with your current bike until the fall, you will have a lot more choices when the bikes go on clearance sale. I've only paid full retail on a bike one time. A few weeks after I bought it, the price dropped by 15%. That would have bought a nice helmet. Just a thought.

RideDirt
    Sorry about the vague thread I guess . Well I used to ride a little Bmx style in my younger teens , now I want to get back and just ride and enjoy it for myself . I weigh 190 pounds , I am 5"9"" .. I like going fast and hard on trails , I ride roots , rocks , small little mounds , some small log piles , like to take some small 2-4ft jumps . If I'm not climbing , them I'll just walk the bike up the hill and then ride down .

I want the bike to give me good cornering , need it to be strong ( in case i crash or bail lol ) , something reliable that's all .. I love ripping singletracks as hard as I can

I'm in no rush either to make a purchase so I can wait for a good deal . Just trying to third out which big name companies will offer menthe best bang for the buck and a decent fs bike .

mtbr member
    Do what I did,let someone else take the hit in paying full retail.It was ALOT of fun and I spent much less than 3K...I purchased a 08,slightly used Santa Cruz Nomad frame and rear shock from the Classifieds on this site,the build started there.I started buying parts from this site and pinkbike and feebay,some used and some new!When it was all said and done I ended up with what I think is the best ONE do it all bike,and knowing nobody else has one identical, and it was something I created was the best part!!![IMG]ring 001.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What FS bike for a k budget?-ring-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Whichever you prefer from one of the bigger three, Trek, Specialized or Cannondale. At that price point, you can't beat their economy of scale.
    Bigger three doesn't include Giant? (Reign or Trance)
    Their specs are pretty good in that price range.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    You can get El Guapo frame for $1200, find Fox Van 36, and hit Ebay Asian sellers for an SLX/XT build kit, and UK sellers for Hope or Nukeproof or SLX wheelset. Would be an awesome bike under 3K, but you need to be very comfortable with building an maintaining everything yourself.

RideDirt
    I was looking at the 2010 spec enduro comp .. Has a price of 3k and seems good .

mtbr member
    I was looking at the 2010 spec enduro comp .. Has a price of 3k and seems good .
    You could buy a decent used car for $3k, so yes, that bike is pretty good. All you really need to decide on, if you're intent on buying new, is how much travel you want, and then go take some test rides. They'll all be great bikes at that range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    enduro would be a good bike. so would the stumpy. 4 ft to flat drop would probably be the most the stumpy was built to handle on a regular basis. a smooth, good rider can take drops on a tricycle.

any bike in the 5 to 6 inch category should suit you well. the slacker the head tube / seat tube angles, the more DH oriented the bike will feel. lots more variables go into it but you get the idea.

try and find a few bikes that you like and then start asking specifics about those on your short list.

RideDirt
    Thanks guys , it's gonna have to be the enduro or stumpjumper comp carbon .. Those are gonna e the 2 , I don't want too much of a slack cuz I don't do all DH , I'm more xc/am but would like to do some DH but not so extreme that I need 180 or 203mm travel lol .

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I purchased a 2011 Enduro Comp for well under $3000.00 (new). Look around, bike shops are having sells to move inventory. I'm sure you can find other bike brands on sale as well. For example, I called one bike shop and they were $400.00 more on the Enduro than what I bought it for. Shop, I did a lot of homework and waiting before I made the purcahse. Good luck !!!

RideDirt
    Ya I mean where I bought my hardrock spec was at a LBS , so I'll prob go back to them and see what type of price they will gimmie

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Buy nos. My lbs has a nomad with a lyrik for 2.7 k, and another with a domain for 1.99k. Cant be beat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys , it's gonna have to be the enduro or stumpjumper comp carbon .. Those are gonna e the 2 , I don't want too much of a slack cuz I don't do all DH , I'm more xc/am but would like to do some DH but not so extreme that I need 180 or 203mm travel lol .
    Can't go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Bigger three doesn't include Giant? (Reign or Trance)
    Their specs are pretty good in that price range.

My bad, never really looked at Giants in the past, but they do seem to be well liked.

mtbr member
    I got a Stumpy Elite for $2700. I really enjoy riding this bike. Lots of fun, and isn't that what riding is all about?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What FS bike for a k budget?-stmpjrfsrelite2011.jpg  

RideDirt
    ^^^ sicckkkk and I love it !! You paid 2700 brand new ? How does it handle on some rough downhill terrain ?

mtbr member
    as stated, the stumpy elite as it's a 140mm. My first choice would probably be a reign x or something in that price range, or a diamondback mission. but if I had to choose between all those an I could get a yeti 575 for 3, I would probably go yeti. I'm have an ibis mojo hd a little above the 3k budget. Definitely shop around and ride them all cuz you may do what I did, I bought the genius an it's a GREAT bike, but... not "all mountain" enough for me.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

RBSBiking
    May 2011
    For 3k you should check out the Fezzari Nebo Peak. I dont think you can get anything spec'd like that for that kind of money.
    Amazing bike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast