Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

What dropper seat post?

I have been looking at the Crank Brothers Jopllin, the Rockshox Reverb and the Kind Shock 950R seat posts. They are all close in price and it looks like the Reverb is about 70 grams lighter then the rest, but which one is the most durable? After reading the reviews on all three, they seem to all get bad marks on durability.

Which one would you reccomend?

keep pedaling
    Mar 2006

Adjustable posts

I've been using the Specialized Command post for almost two years, no issues at all. LBS had a box of 6 Reverbs going back for service, owner says he's done with them. I'm sure others have had no issues, but everyone I know with a Reverb has had it fail on the trail.

Desert Seeker
    Gravity Dropper - all mechanical, easy to service, reliable and made in the U.S.

mtbr member
    I've personally owned the Gravity Dropper Turbo and a KS i900.

The GD was okay but I hated having to find the middle position and it would stick down sometimes. The cable comes out at a 90 degree angle to the post which puts it in a position where it kinks easily. I put a homemade strain relief on it but it was going to fail within the first season for sure. The actuator is kinda cheesy and can only be mounted two positions (left top or right bottom I think, but it might be opposite of that).

The KS has infinite adjustment, costs about the same or less, has more travel and the actuator can be mounted in 4 different positions. Mine stuck down from time to time for the first year I used it but I've been lubing it with the Slicolium (sp?) grease someone here recommended and its not currently sticking. I broke the metal tube that comes out of the actuator but the actuator still functions normally. Customer service said they would send me a new actuator cable but it never came. They have not responded to three emails asking if there is anything I can do to eliminate the sticking post. However, I highly recommend this post.

A friend has the Reverb but has only ridden it once. Check the forums since it seems there are a LOT of reliability issues with this post. Its also much more expensive than the others. It is smooth and the hydraulic actuator is sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise View Post
    I've personally owned the Gravity Dropper Turbo and a KS i900.

The GD was okay but I hated having to find the middle position and it would stick down sometimes. The cable comes out at a 90 degree angle to the post which puts it in a position where it kinks easily. I put a homemade strain relief on it but it was going to fail within the first season for sure. The actuator is kinda cheesy and can only be mounted two positions (left top or right bottom I think, but it might be opposite of that).
    there are two remote version of the GD, one of them has the cable coming out parallel to the post - much easier to route plus it doesn't mount to the head unit causing the cable to move with the post. they also offer remote levers for either right or left hands which can be reversed to run top or bottom - 4 positions just like the others.

if you had issues with stiction at any point it could have been easily remedied with a simple greasing or adjustment of the outer post cap, which can be tightened or loosened to dial in the resistance and fine tune the pin mechanism. as glesoine said - GD's are 100% serviceable at home and their customer service is as good as it gets.

mtbr member
    I had to fiddle with the end cap on my GD to get it to not stick so much and to get the pin to engage properly. I'd adjust it and it would work for a while then stick again in the middle of a ride. I didn't feel like it was worth it. The cable issue was the last straw. I'm much happier with the KS even though its not perfect either. So far, other than adding some grease, my KS hasn't required any servicing like the GD did. I have about 1000 hard trail miles on it.

The GD was a major advance over manual adjustment and I loved the upgrade. Being able to lower the seat 1" further and having infinite adjustment with the KS is significantly better in my opinion. I wouldn't consider fixed position posts after using one with infinite adjustment.

If someone comes out with a post that lowers 1" further than the KS and never sticks I'll buy it too and sell my KS like I did the GD. I sold by GD for a little under $200 and bought the KS for just a little more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Not Reverb

When it works its very good. However, unless you want to have it fail on an Epic ride do not by a Reverb. Including myself everyone I know who has one has had it fail. Its really too bad because I like the way it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joltz View Post
    When it works its very good. However, unless you want to have it fail on an Epic ride do not by a Reverb. Including myself everyone I know who has one has had it fail. Its really too bad because I like the way it works.
    Just curious, how many people do you know personally who have had their Reverb fail? It sounds like the numbers are climbing based on the number of posts I'm seeing about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just curious, how many people do you know personally who have had their Reverb fail? It sounds like the numbers are climbing based on the number of posts I'm seeing about it.
    3. Maybe its a bad batch. Who knows. Mine is out for warranty now. I hope it comes back and stays working for a while. In all honesty once you run one on your bike it becomes weird to ride without it.

mtbr member
    i got specialized blacklite. Still a noobie with the post. After 3 rides, no issue at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've been looking for a drop post as well. With all the research I have done, it is between the Specialized and the KS. There is a new KS due out soon so I may hold off till then before I decide. But if a good deal comes up on the Specialized before then I will get it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have been running my specialized command post for about 4 months now with no problem at all. Only need to clean the stanchion every now and then. It is tough to hit the middle stop but usually I go all the way down or all the way up.
    People make me mad...

Paste eater
    I have the KS. Is it the only hydraulic? It's nice. realy nice. I much prefer the actuator to most others. It does stick occasionally - especially when new but slickoleuom (sp?) or slick honey (smae thing) works awesome.

T.W.O.
    I'd go with KS or Reverb. They are both very good KS would edge on the remote as it ODI lock on grip compatible and can be mounted on either side and even upside down for maximum comfort. Reverb however, is predominately right side unless you mount the remote upside down on the left side.

mtbr member
    I have 2 Gravity Droppers..turbo and old style...easy to work on and simple, just keep them lubed, i like the turbo better except the cable output..

meow meow
    my reverb is still going strong after 6 months. idk, maybe im lucky.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Reverb, after all the reading it seemed like the way to go, but with my luck it will be junk. They all seem to have their issues. Good luck on your choice

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    x-fusion hilo. just like the fork , best bang for your buck!

mtbr member
    Crank brothers - rubbish in my experience. The seat clamp area rotates too much.
    Gravity dropper - mechanical, so very easy to service and fix when it breaks. I had the lever-under-the-seat version.
    KS - only ridden a friends, but had no issues with it. Neither has he.
    Command Post - love it. Prefer having three set positions - eliminates me finding that sweet spot on the infinite adjustability ones. Means that I can just get used to positions and ride them. Have not had to service it yet, but have heard that it is rather straightforward.
    Reverb - have ridden a friends. Not bad. Liked it, but was not such a fan of the infinite adjustability. Kept wasting time trying to get it to the same positions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I really wanted the Reverb but there is to much negative feedback. I don't mind having to bleed the dropper but the seals seem to last only about 6 months. My other main concern is dealing with a company that wont deal directly with me for service. They need to change that policy.
    All droppers seem to have their own little (or big) quirks.
    Think I'm going to try my luck with the KS950. There doesn't seem to be a lot of quality complaints and people seem to like the customer service.
    Last edited by ViperX; 08-20-2011 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I have the gravity dropped classic with 4" drop. This has been a great post. I have been using it for 2 years and no problems. Just keep it lubed and you'll love it.

mtbr member
    They ALL suck for reliability...still an emerging tech.
    The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to live w/ the head aches of the post going down vs how much it can change the game in your riding...and believe it's VERY much a game changer...as much as a suspension fork ever was.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Haven't seen reliability complaints on the Xfusion Hilo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    They ALL suck for reliability...still an emerging tech.
    The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to live w/ the head aches of the post going down vs how much it can change the game in your riding...and believe it's VERY much a game changer...as much as a suspension fork ever was.
    i've owned 2 GD's in 5 years. neither i would consider unreliable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I own an X-Fusion Hilo (cable actuated). I can't recommend it.
    Due to the way the cable is routed over/on top of the seatpost, the actuating cable tends to wear rather quickly. I average around 10-12 rides before the cable snaps and needs to be replaced.
    On occasion, the seatpost will not return to the full extended height; I have to manually pull the seat up to get full extension. I have added additional air pressure to help relieve this problem. Of course, this solved one problem and caused another. Now, after the seatpost has been lowered for an extended time, it slowly creeps upward. It does, however, immediately re-lower when pressure is applied to the seat.
    Overall, just too many small issues for me to be fully satisfied with the X-Fusion Hilo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm having an expletive-filled Friday evening thanks to a freshly broken Reverb..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    i've owned 2 GD's in 5 years. neither i would consider unreliable.
    +1 I my for 2 years without any issues. Just clean and lube every once awhile. I gave it to my brother and I bought a Specialize Blacklite. So far that has been pretty awesome, but I've only had it for 2 months. Super smooth, no need to butt tap and I love the 3 fixed positions.

mtbr member
    I have owned the CB Joplin (lever version) and it failed in less than a year. Also some play in the saddle. Next I tried the KS i900, failed after two rides. Sent it back for repairs and has been rock solid for about a year and no play in the saddle. Recently bought the Spesh. command post blacklite and no problems and no play for about two months now. Return speed of the saddle is extremely fast but fortunately the air pressure can be adjusted.

mtbr member
    i got the kinds shock 950R, im in love with it! it s perfect! it got stuck once but i adjusted the cable and it works like a charm now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Not a confidence inspiring forum for those of us considering the $250+ purchase of a dropper seatpost...

mtbr member
    I have the KS i900r bought it at the beginning of the season, the first one that I purchased something on the inside stopped working after 1 ride, and the seat would not stay in the upright position.. I sent it back on warranty, received the replacement in May, have put in about 30-35 rides on it, with pretty heavy use (15-20 height changes) each ride, and it works great.

I occasionally have to stand and pull the seat up the last quarter inch, and it sometimes doesn't pop down on first pull of the lever.

I've been lubing it with regular bike grease under, and making sure to check the cable length as it gets stretched, this part is very important, it seems to be quite finicky in terms of how long that cable can be.. much like your rear derailleur, you want it to be perfect.

I would recommend this one, although when the new seat posts come out that have the cable routing to the bottom of the post rather than the top, that IMO would be a much better purchase.. right now the cable has to have room to swing down when you lower the seat

Old-newbie
    I currently have 4 dropper posts. They have all worked flawlessly, with lots of cycling each ride. I have never thought to count, but 20 would be a conservative number.

I had a GD turbo. Kept breaking the cable, even with a noodle guide. Traded it for a 5" GD classic. Nice post, not enough adjustment in the seat clamp, and a PITA to use due to the extra gyrations required to unlock before dropping or raising.

KS i950r. Best bang for the buck. Very slick operation, and the best control design, by far, of anything that I have tried. Cable guide recommended since the cable has to slide with the post. I hate the seat clamp, which also does not have enough angle adjustment. I love that I can pull the post off the bike and leave the cable and control on the bike.

RS reverb. I have 2 of these, and they are my favorite for their smooth fast action. Narry a problem. The seat clamp is great, and since RS had the cojones to declare what direction the hose will be routed, the clamp is angled. The seat can be leveled even on a downhill frame! The control works nicely, but the configuration is very clumsy and interferes with everything near it. A straight body with a banjo fitting on the hose would have been far better.

For the posts with exposed tubes, I clean them off with a microfiber cloth before every ride, and lube them with stanchion lube every couple of rides.

My next post will be a KS Supernatural. It is the first 6" drop post that I have seen.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    I always recommend Gravity Dropper, check out the following article I wrote for more details:

The 4th Thing You Can Buy That Will Instanty Improve How your Bike Handles! | BetterRide.net
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    The KS Lev is coming out early next year, which moves the cable entry point to the lower assembly and thus the cable won't move when the seat cycles up and down. Much like the GD, except with the hydro internals of Kind Shock.

I think that'll be my next dropper post. I'm hoping my Maverick Speedball survives until then.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vaelin View Post
    The KS Lev is coming out early next year, which moves the cable entry point to the lower assembly and thus the cable won't move when the seat cycles up and down. Much like the GD, except with the hydro internals of Kind Shock.

I think that'll be my next dropper post. I'm hoping my Maverick Speedball survives until then.
    Prototype KS Telescoping Seatpost - Taipei Cycle Show 2011 - Pinkbike.com

Yeah, It looks pretty cool. Not sure I like the connection on the prototype but hopefully they refine it so is not sticking out.

I'm sure a lot of manufacturers new generation of posts will have either a bottom or side activation point.
    As with all new designs its going to take a couple of product revisions till they get it right and work out the bugs. Sure will be nice not screwing around with a moving cable.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    They've already refined it, it goes slightly out and then down, now.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    why don't you get the one that is the lightest, has the best clamp, is the most durable, and costs the least amount of money... still the gravity dropper!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    why don't you get the one that is the lightest, has the best clamp, is the most durable, and costs the least amount of money... still the gravity dropper!
    Because it only has three positions, less travel, a crappy actuator lever, requires frequent adjustment to keep it from sticking and/or to maintain proper pin engagement, and, if I'm not mistaken, its more expensive. If its still more expensive I don't know how they sell one of them. I owned one. The KS, although not perfect, is hands down much better in every respect so far (about 800 miles of trails on the KS so far) than the GD.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Because it only has three positions, less travel, a crappy actuator lever, requires frequent adjustment to keep it from sticking and/or to maintain proper pin engagement, and, if I'm not mistaken, its more expensive. If its still more expensive I don't know how they sell one of them. I owned one. The KS, although not perfect, is hands down much better in every respect so far (about 800 miles of trails on the KS so far) than the GD.
    haha i gave up on single bolt seatposts when i dropped my training wheels. same price, though you can get a gd used for much less than a ks... and it will still likely be more durable. if you need more than 5" of drop on an am bike you're doing something wrong. gd's are stupid easy to service and durable as well. actuator lever looks cheesy but its simple, durable and works..

guess we're going to have to agree to disagree - we obviously want very different things (cheap/durable/light vs easy to maintain/shiny/more travel) from our dropper posts

mtbr member
    I don't have any emotional attachment to the KS and I'll replace it when I see something I like better.

... same price, though you can get a gd used for much less than a ks...
    What does that tell you? The KS is in higher demand because riders like it more.

we obviously want very different things (cheap/durable/light vs easy to maintain/shiny/more travel) from our dropper posts
    Cheap - same price new. You have a point if one is willing to buy used and sacrifice in other areas.

Durable - My KS hasn't required any maintenance other than occasional grease. The GD cable was on the verge of needing replacement after just a couple months of use because the cable comes out perpendicular to the post so I hit it every time I got off the seat. I tried strain relieving it but that only slowed the failure. That's the main reason I sold it.

Light - I don't know many riders who aren't at least 15 lbs over race weight. A little mud on your bike would make as much difference as the weight difference in these two posts. Not an issue IMO.

Easy to maintain - I had to mess with my GD constantly to get the pin to engage properly. I add a little grease under the collar of the KS and its good to go for 200 more miles. It sounds like the GD may be easier to rebuild than the KS. I don't know because I didn't need to rebuild either of them. If the KS requires frequent rebuilding then that would be a plus for the GD. So far no need for mine, yet. The fact that I had to fiddle with the collar on the GD quite frequently to make it work properly was the second reason I sold it.

Shiny - ??

More travel - the extra inch of travel I get from the KS is very noticeable on jumps and technical sections that require me to rock the bike from side to side a lot. Its a significant plus. My GD only had 4" of travel.

Just curious... have you tried a KS or similar post? Sometimes we get emotionally attached to our purchases and it lessens our objectivity.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I don't know about 'light'. The KS Lev is 460g, while the GD Classic is 510g, Turbo is 470g. Sure, manufacturing tolerances and reported weights vary, but that's pretty damn close to each other, so the weight argument is a wash.

Air/oil vs. Coil/pin.. matter of preference. Both have had issues (just read through different threads for GD issues, and KS issues) but have thus far been way more reliable than everyone else (Reverb, Joplin, Command, etc.)

Also, the KS Lev is not single bolt. Actually, neither is the current i950. So don't know where you got the idea that KSes are single bolt.

Your only valid argument is the price. Brand spanking new tech is always going to cost more.

Implying ppl that disagree with you are still on training wheels in the same breath that you try to 'agree to disagree' is rather amusing, but we'll just leave it at that.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with a KS900i and the several X-Fusion hi-lo models I have. The X-Fusions has been reliable, I have both 31.6 and 27.2 (a main reason for trying it out). As other said, the Hi-lo is slow to rise, but I just tug it up with legs. Otherwise, it's been rock solid. I have not had any issues with the cable, although I lubed it with Teflon out of the box, and have not touched it since last November. I'm rather large at 6'0 and approx 235 lbs and ride fairly hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I bought 4 units of KS remote dropper since early last year and till today I am happy with it. Am happy with it ........

T.W.O.
    I don't have any emotional attachment to the KS and I'll replace it when I see something I like better.

What does that tell you? The KS is in higher demand because riders like it more.

Cheap - same price new. You have a point if one is willing to buy used and sacrifice in other areas.

Durable - My KS hasn't required any maintenance other than occasional grease. The GD cable was on the verge of needing replacement after just a couple months of use because the cable comes out perpendicular to the post so I hit it every time I got off the seat. I tried strain relieving it but that only slowed the failure. That's the main reason I sold it.

Light - I don't know many riders who aren't at least 15 lbs over race weight. A little mud on your bike would make as much difference as the weight difference in these two posts. Not an issue IMO.

Easy to maintain - I had to mess with my GD constantly to get the pin to engage properly. I add a little grease under the collar of the KS and its good to go for 200 more miles. It sounds like the GD may be easier to rebuild than the KS. I don't know because I didn't need to rebuild either of them. If the KS requires frequent rebuilding then that would be a plus for the GD. So far no need for mine, yet. The fact that I had to fiddle with the collar on the GD quite frequently to make it work properly was the second reason I sold it.

Shiny - ??

More travel - the extra inch of travel I get from the KS is very noticeable on jumps and technical sections that require me to rock the bike from side to side a lot. Its a significant plus. My GD only had 4" of travel.

Just curious... have you tried a KS or similar post? Sometimes we get emotionally attached to our purchases and it lessens our objectivity.
    ^^^ this I'd rep you again but I just did on your other post

Pau11y said on earlier post they all have some kind of issues but if you can live with that it's awesome, it helps speed up your riding skills and allow you to ride more and walk less. Reliability is getting better as well as designs and ergonomic.

If you are already used to the fixed post and/or don't want to deal with any issues then stick with that, adj posts may not be your calling, but if you need/want a benefit of having both high/low seat position then pick one up an try it.

I put Hammerschmidt and KS post on 2 of my bikes and it add about 2.5lbs I clean more tech climb than before. I don't think it's a disadvantage at all, sure I hope it's the same weight or lighter than conventional components but it's worth it. Similar arguments were made about Suspensions, Disc brake, and big fat grippy knobby tires now most can't live without them

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Or slackening head angles, or wider bars, or shorter stems, or air spring vs. coil spring, or carbon over aluminum, or..

The list can go on and on. If it works for you, then great, but don't trash the bleeding edge folks because they're the ones funding the companies that will eventually bring you the next piece of tech that will be a game-changer for mountain biking.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    I had KS and now on GD. 10 mins to do maintenance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vaelin View Post
    They've already refined it, it goes slightly out and then down, now.

Where did you see the refined design? Do you have a link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperX View Post
    Where did you see the refined design? Do you have a link?
    KS Lev

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    Sweet...Thanks for the link!

I wish it was available now, I just ordered the 950...

mtbr member
    I love the Reverb... a ton of travel, infinite adjustability...
    Stop reading my signature. Go ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast