Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

What dropper seat post?

I have been looking at the Crank Brothers Jopllin, the Rockshox Reverb and the Kind Shock 950R seat posts. They are all close in price and it looks like the Reverb is about 70 grams lighter then the rest, but which one is the most durable? After reading the reviews on all three, they seem to all get bad marks on durability.

Which one would you reccomend?

keep pedaling
    Mar 2006

Adjustable posts

I've been using the Specialized Command post for almost two years, no issues at all. LBS had a box of 6 Reverbs going back for service, owner says he's done with them. I'm sure others have had no issues, but everyone I know with a Reverb has had it fail on the trail.

Desert Seeker
    Gravity Dropper - all mechanical, easy to service, reliable and made in the U.S.

mtbr member
    I've personally owned the Gravity Dropper Turbo and a KS i900.

The GD was okay but I hated having to find the middle position and it would stick down sometimes. The cable comes out at a 90 degree angle to the post which puts it in a position where it kinks easily. I put a homemade strain relief on it but it was going to fail within the first season for sure. The actuator is kinda cheesy and can only be mounted two positions (left top or right bottom I think, but it might be opposite of that).

The KS has infinite adjustment, costs about the same or less, has more travel and the actuator can be mounted in 4 different positions. Mine stuck down from time to time for the first year I used it but I've been lubing it with the Slicolium (sp?) grease someone here recommended and its not currently sticking. I broke the metal tube that comes out of the actuator but the actuator still functions normally. Customer service said they would send me a new actuator cable but it never came. They have not responded to three emails asking if there is anything I can do to eliminate the sticking post. However, I highly recommend this post.

A friend has the Reverb but has only ridden it once. Check the forums since it seems there are a LOT of reliability issues with this post. Its also much more expensive than the others. It is smooth and the hydraulic actuator is sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise View Post
    I've personally owned the Gravity Dropper Turbo and a KS i900.

The GD was okay but I hated having to find the middle position and it would stick down sometimes. The cable comes out at a 90 degree angle to the post which puts it in a position where it kinks easily. I put a homemade strain relief on it but it was going to fail within the first season for sure. The actuator is kinda cheesy and can only be mounted two positions (left top or right bottom I think, but it might be opposite of that).
    there are two remote version of the GD, one of them has the cable coming out parallel to the post - much easier to route plus it doesn't mount to the head unit causing the cable to move with the post. they also offer remote levers for either right or left hands which can be reversed to run top or bottom - 4 positions just like the others.

if you had issues with stiction at any point it could have been easily remedied with a simple greasing or adjustment of the outer post cap, which can be tightened or loosened to dial in the resistance and fine tune the pin mechanism. as glesoine said - GD's are 100% serviceable at home and their customer service is as good as it gets.

mtbr member
    I had to fiddle with the end cap on my GD to get it to not stick so much and to get the pin to engage properly. I'd adjust it and it would work for a while then stick again in the middle of a ride. I didn't feel like it was worth it. The cable issue was the last straw. I'm much happier with the KS even though its not perfect either. So far, other than adding some grease, my KS hasn't required any servicing like the GD did. I have about 1000 hard trail miles on it.

The GD was a major advance over manual adjustment and I loved the upgrade. Being able to lower the seat 1" further and having infinite adjustment with the KS is significantly better in my opinion. I wouldn't consider fixed position posts after using one with infinite adjustment.

If someone comes out with a post that lowers 1" further than the KS and never sticks I'll buy it too and sell my KS like I did the GD. I sold by GD for a little under $200 and bought the KS for just a little more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Not Reverb

When it works its very good. However, unless you want to have it fail on an Epic ride do not by a Reverb. Including myself everyone I know who has one has had it fail. Its really too bad because I like the way it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joltz View Post
    When it works its very good. However, unless you want to have it fail on an Epic ride do not by a Reverb. Including myself everyone I know who has one has had it fail. Its really too bad because I like the way it works.
    Just curious, how many people do you know personally who have had their Reverb fail? It sounds like the numbers are climbing based on the number of posts I'm seeing about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise View Post
    Just curious, how many people do you know personally who have had their Reverb fail? It sounds like the numbers are climbing based on the number of posts I'm seeing about it.
    3. Maybe its a bad batch. Who knows. Mine is out for warranty now. I hope it comes back and stays working for a while. In all honesty once you run one on your bike it becomes weird to ride without it.

mtbr member
    i got specialized blacklite. Still a noobie with the post. After 3 rides, no issue at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've been looking for a drop post as well. With all the research I have done, it is between the Specialized and the KS. There is a new KS due out soon so I may hold off till then before I decide. But if a good deal comes up on the Specialized before then I will get it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have been running my specialized command post for about 4 months now with no problem at all. Only need to clean the stanchion every now and then. It is tough to hit the middle stop but usually I go all the way down or all the way up.
    People make me mad...

Paste eater
    I have the KS. Is it the only hydraulic? It's nice. realy nice. I much prefer the actuator to most others. It does stick occasionally - especially when new but slickoleuom (sp?) or slick honey (smae thing) works awesome.

T.W.O.
    I'd go with KS or Reverb. They are both very good KS would edge on the remote as it ODI lock on grip compatible and can be mounted on either side and even upside down for maximum comfort. Reverb however, is predominately right side unless you mount the remote upside down on the left side.

mtbr member
    I have 2 Gravity Droppers..turbo and old style...easy to work on and simple, just keep them lubed, i like the turbo better except the cable output..

usually cranky
    my reverb is still going strong after 6 months. idk, maybe im lucky.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Reverb, after all the reading it seemed like the way to go, but with my luck it will be junk. They all seem to have their issues. Good luck on your choice

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    x-fusion hilo. just like the fork , best bang for your buck!

mtbr member
    Crank brothers - rubbish in my experience. The seat clamp area rotates too much.
    Gravity dropper - mechanical, so very easy to service and fix when it breaks. I had the lever-under-the-seat version.
    KS - only ridden a friends, but had no issues with it. Neither has he.
    Command Post - love it. Prefer having three set positions - eliminates me finding that sweet spot on the infinite adjustability ones. Means that I can just get used to positions and ride them. Have not had to service it yet, but have heard that it is rather straightforward.
    Reverb - have ridden a friends. Not bad. Liked it, but was not such a fan of the infinite adjustability. Kept wasting time trying to get it to the same positions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I really wanted the Reverb but there is to much negative feedback. I don't mind having to bleed the dropper but the seals seem to last only about 6 months. My other main concern is dealing with a company that wont deal directly with me for service. They need to change that policy.
    All droppers seem to have their own little (or big) quirks.
    Think I'm going to try my luck with the KS950. There doesn't seem to be a lot of quality complaints and people seem to like the customer service.
    Last edited by ViperX; 08-20-2011 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I have the gravity dropped classic with 4" drop. This has been a great post. I have been using it for 2 years and no problems. Just keep it lubed and you'll love it.

mtbr member
    They ALL suck for reliability...still an emerging tech.
    The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to live w/ the head aches of the post going down vs how much it can change the game in your riding...and believe it's VERY much a game changer...as much as a suspension fork ever was.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Haven't seen reliability complaints on the Xfusion Hilo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    They ALL suck for reliability...still an emerging tech.
    The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to live w/ the head aches of the post going down vs how much it can change the game in your riding...and believe it's VERY much a game changer...as much as a suspension fork ever was.
    i've owned 2 GD's in 5 years. neither i would consider unreliable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I own an X-Fusion Hilo (cable actuated). I can't recommend it.
    Due to the way the cable is routed over/on top of the seatpost, the actuating cable tends to wear rather quickly. I average around 10-12 rides before the cable snaps and needs to be replaced.
    On occasion, the seatpost will not return to the full extended height; I have to manually pull the seat up to get full extension. I have added additional air pressure to help relieve this problem. Of course, this solved one problem and caused another. Now, after the seatpost has been lowered for an extended time, it slowly creeps upward. It does, however, immediately re-lower when pressure is applied to the seat.
    Overall, just too many small issues for me to be fully satisfied with the X-Fusion Hilo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast