mtbr member
    Mar 2011

What do you y'all think...

I have a set of Mavic Crossmax SX's that are driving me nuts with the hubs coming loose and I've had enough. Going to build up something custom and this is what I'm thinking:

I have a set of Roval Traverse wheels that came on my Stumpjumper FSR EVO Comp. I'm thinking of cutting out the crappy stock hubs and building them up with either Chris King or Hope Pro Evo 2's, using the Traverse rims. The Traverse rims are brand new, but I'm worried about durability. I've never ridden any of the Spesh wheels as they're usually the first thing I change when I get a new bike.

So my question is, do you guys think I should build up the existing rims with good hubs, or do you think I should spring for a set of Stans Flow EX's and call it a day. I've never built up custom wheels before, so any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If those wheels are the ones with the DT Swiss rear design, use them as is! They are very good, durable light(ish) wheels. If they are the lower level model, then the hubs are just "blah" hubs. I used the original 2007 Specialized Traversee wheels with DT Swiss hubs for 2 or 3 years and they were trouble free and now a friend of mine is still using them. And those were the 28r/24F spoke model. As long as the Traverse rims you have are 32 hole rims, I'd say use them, check your front and make sure it is not the 27 hole because you will not find a hub for that except from Specialized. Traverse are pretty durable and seal up tubeless easily. I had Flows and thought the Traversee was better. I just bought Traverse SL carbon and can't wait to get some trail time on those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Unfortunately they're not the DT Swiss hubs, just the lower level (shimano I think?) hubs. Not bad for beating around, but def not going to last me very long. I did have a set of the higher level Traverse Wheels w/ the DT Swiss hubs on my Enduro and they were awesome.
    Thanks for all the info! And they are the 32 hole spokes both front and rear so I'm in luck! Thanks for the info and I think I'm convinced into using the Traverse over the Stan's-at least for now!