mtbr member
    Jul 2010

What do you think of this Nomad package?

I test road a nomad today. It was on sale for 2199. I forgot to look but it's likely a nos 2 yr old. Any big changes on the frame in that time? The 1.5 head set seems to be going away. Most stuff is tapered now?

I like the feel, but the suss parts are suspect. Domain with no compression or preload adjustments. An older monarch air (a 4.2 high volume I believe) in the rear. I wasn't so hot about the hollow bb sytlo cranks either. Liked the Thompson stuff on it though. SRAM stuff all around. Juicy 3s with really big rotors. Bigger than my 185s. Wtb front hub, mavic 321s etc. Etc.

What do you think? Good price? Can i put a platform damper of some sort on the domain. tWas a heavy bike me thinks.

A bullit I've been eyeing is still there for 200 more, with a lyrik and a dhx 5.0. If I only they'd swap the suss parts, it would be a done deal
    Last edited by bing!; 11-15-2010 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sounds like you would be better off buying a bike that came equipped with all the parts that you want. Don't neuter a Nomad by putting platform suspension on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire
    Sounds like you would be better off buying a bike that came equipped with all the parts that you want. Don't neuter a Nomad by putting platform suspension on it.
    Great input. I don't have an AM or a park bike. This will be my first one, so I don't really know enough about AM / Park suspension to assess a bad set versus a good enough set up. the excellent set up are pretty obvious just by the bling on them

So you think the set up just right? I was thinking that platform for going up would be useful, but if thats wrong, I may be open to picking this bike up. I did try pedaling out of the saddle vigourously, and the fork bobbed a bit, but it did not feel like a wet noodle.

Did some research and the Domain seems to be good for over all, and I may be able to slip in an updated moco damper for compression adjustments. The Monarch may have to go, and be replaced with a good coil shock. Everything on it will suffice just so I can ride.

I am not up to building a whole bike. If I can pick up a NOS for a good price and get riding, that will be it for me as I try to dial that bike in.

Thanks.

usually cranky
    a 2008 nomad for $2200 with juicy 3's and what sound like a domain 302? id take a pass.

mtbr member
    You don't need a platform shock on a VPP suspension. I have an 08 Nomad, and I have the propedal turned all the way off on the DHX 5 coil. I'd see if they can swap the suspension parts for you, but you can pick up a DHX 5 coil for like $200 used easily.

See if you can talk them down to $2k, as the build is pretty basic, but solid.

b a n n e d
    Personally I'd go for it if they get will take $2K.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    See if you can get a few parts swapped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I appreciate all the input. I now know that its not a steal of a deal, so no reason to buy it impulsively. I will suggest a parts swap and see where that goes.

Any big differences with the 08 Nomad frame compared to newer versions?

I'm a patient buyer and am willing to wait for the right deal.

Thank you all!

mtbr member
    There is a crazy deal on a banshee rune right now with similar quality parts on ebay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BANSHEE-RUNE-200...item27b5adb80f
    And no I'm not associated to the dealer or anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    that is pretty crazy. but I'm a little leery of an AS-IS purchase on such a high value item. great deal on not. a slight frame tweak would really ruin it for me. AS-IS also says, no shipping damage honored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    I appreciate all the input. I now know that its not a steal of a deal, so no reason to buy it impulsively. I will suggest a parts swap and see where that goes.

Any big differences with the 08 Nomad frame compared to newer versions?

I'm a patient buyer and am willing to wait for the right deal.

Thank you all!
    The 09s got VPP2. It is supposed to pedal better, but not as plush as VPP1.

I have an 08 nomad and 2010 Blur LT, and both are amazing bikes. Both pedal extremely well, and I have no complaints about either. Oh I had an 08 Blur LT with VPP1 as well, so I have a solid basis for my comparisons.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by ExCactus
    There is a crazy deal on a banshee rune right now with similar quality parts on ebay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BANSHEE-RUNE-200...item27b5adb80f
    And no I'm not associated to the dealer or anything.
    shady seller who won't answer any questions or anything. been up for 3 or 4 months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    The 09s got VPP2. It is supposed to pedal better, but not as plush as VPP1.

I have an 08 nomad and 2010 Blur LT, and both are amazing bikes. Both pedal extremely well, and I have no complaints about either. Oh I had an 08 Blur LT with VPP1 as well, so I have a solid basis for my comparisons.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Hey thanks for chiming in. So what rear shock do you have on the 08? Plush? I can take plush

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for chiming in. So what rear shock do you have on the 08? Plush? I can take plush
    I have a DHX 5 with a TI coil, the suspension is extremely progressive and plush. At the same time, it's very firm and doesn't bob when climbing.

I may get the DHX pushed or pick up a CCDB just so I can make it even better.

Oh the 1.5" head tube is the way to go. You can run way more steer tube options with a Chris king devolution headset

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    I have a DHX 5 with a TI coil, the suspension is extremely progressive and plush. At the same time, it's very firm and doesn't bob when climbing.

I may get the DHX pushed or pick up a CCDB just so I can make it even better.

Oh the 1.5" head tube is the way to go. You can run way more steer tube options with a Chris king devolution headset
    Thats the thing. I dont care for the shock and I'm not too sold on the fork. I can't actually take them off and not feel the loss there. Everything else works for me though. Gonna try and make a better deal.

Thanks for the feed back.

mtbr member
    Thats the thing. I dont care for the shock and I'm not too sold on the fork. I can't actually take them off and not feel the loss there. Everything else works for me though. Gonna try and make a better deal.

Thanks for the feed back.
    The monarch may not be as bad as you think. It's fairly progressive and is well suited to the VPP platform. Worst case scenario, send it to push and they will tune it better than most shock on the market foe a few hundred.

The fork on the other hand, is something I would try to swap out. My buddy rented a bike at blue mountain with a domain, and it just felt so dead to me.

Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    A brand new Nomad with Rock Shox Lyric Solo-Air (tapered steer tube), Fox RP23 and R AM kit has a suggest retail of about $3000

Components from the Santa Cruz website:

REAR DER: Shimano M773 SGS (XT)
    FRONT DER: Shimano M770 or M771 (XT)
    SHIFTERS: Shimano M660 (SLX)
    CRANKSET: Shimano M552 24/32/42
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Included w/ crankset
    CASSETTE: Shimano HG 81, 11-36 (SLX)
    CHAIN: Shimano HG 74 (XT)
    BRAKES: Avid Elixir 5 w/ 185mm front 160mm rear rotors
    BARS: TruVativ Stylo Team 31.8mm
    STEM: TruVativ AKA, 31.8mm
    GRIPS: Lizard Skin Charger
    HEADSET: Cane Creek S3 1 1/8 or Cane Creek custom taper
    SEAT POST: Easton EA50
    SADDLE: WTB Pure V Race
    WHEELS: Mavic XM 321 rims laced to Shimano M756 rear hub and Shimano 15mm M758 front hub w/ DT 14 guage spokes, brass nipples
    TIRES: Maxxis High Roller 2.35 wire
    TUBES: Maxxis .8mm tubes

Pretty solid build and not too much more than buying the $2200 Nomad and swapping parts around. Have you considered a current model?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I could've bought whatever I wanted to this year , but I sought out a 2008 1.5 Nomad.