Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

what do you think about these sneaks for platforms pedals?

i might try them for $30. Do you think those treads would stick to the pedals well? Maybe i should just hold off for some 5.10's...

mtbr member
    I just ride in an old pair of Vans. Most skate shoes with flat soles will be fine, but I have found that my old pair of Vans Rowley's had the stickiest sole Ive ever experienced...

For 30 bucks its hard to beat.

mtbr member
    i'm just wondering if the screws in the pedals will fit into those treads. They seem kinda small and narrow.

mtbr member

these might work

Chillin the Most
    Hold out, nothing beats a pair of 5.10's.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by wacopacco
    these might work
    Much better but like RED5 said, save up for the 5 10's.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

s62
    mtbr member
    My favorite thing in the world is my pair of Vasque trail runners. They are Gortex XCR, so all the rain, dew, and mud I ride through doesn't soak in, they are super comfortable, extremely sturdy, and stick like no one's business.
    Vasque Blur 7672 GTX XCR
    They're the last shoe on the right. Bloody amazing shoes.
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

the goose is loose!
    5.10s are absolutely amazing. they last, and the sole is pure magic. the rubber wraps around each pin of the pedal. sooo grippy.

El Pollo Diablo
    too bad 510's only go up to a 13...
    those of us with big manly feet have to look elsewhere

(vans rowley XL3s on my feet for riding, very grippy)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    5.10s are absolutely amazing. they last, and the sole is pure magic. the rubber wraps around each pin of the pedal. sooo grippy.
    Yeah, my Vans Rowleys were slipping off the Holzfeller skinny pins, and they were getting shredded anyway, so I picked up a pair of 5.10 High Impacts, and so far not slipping at all. I was thinking of buying new pedals but now there is no need (except maybe to reduce weight).

mtbr member
    i'm going to go ahead with the low profile 5.10's...

mtbr member
    i'm going to go ahead with the low profile 5.10's...

You won't be disappointed with the Impact 2's. You can place any part of your foot on the pedal; toes, middle, or heel and your foot won't move. I've had mine for about a month and so far the soles don't so any signs of wear. Only gripe I can come up with is that they are alittle warm, but they are still worth every penny
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr member
    would you reccomend the high top ones? Or the low profile ones....

mtbr member
    Am I the only one that hates the look of 5.10s? They look goofy as hell to me.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

mtbr member
    I think its a matter of taste. If you like the high tops than get them, but i like the look of the low cut version more. I personally don't see a need for the extra support that high tops offer. I guess the high tops might offer more ankle protection should your foot come off the pedal (which probably won't happen unless you want it too).

5.10's look better in person. I thought the same thing that they look a little goofy in picture form, but I took a risk knowing that everyone said are a badass shoe. Something that isn't conveyed in the picture is that the tongue of the shoe is not like a normal shoe. One side is free like a normal shoe, but the other side folds around your foot becoming the inside of the shoe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    My favorite thing in the world is my pair of Vasque trail runners. They are Gortex XCR, so all the rain, dew, and mud I ride through doesn't soak in, they are super comfortable, extremely sturdy, and stick like no one's business.
    I also have been thinking about using trail shoes with platforms, but the middle part of the sole tends to be smaller, just where you feet are resting on the platforms. Running/trail shoes tend to follow the shape of your footsole, whereas the soles of skate shoes are relatively wider offering better support.

Trail/hiking shoes do have less flexible soles than running shoes and would therefore be better for cycling and they have a much better profile which probably helps in the mountains, eg. if you have to walk a bit. Might be useful if there's still some snow up high.

Another drawback of these trail runners in my opinion is that they offer much less protection for your toes if you run into a few rocks.

All-in-all the 5-10 looks a good option here, much better overall grip than the average skateshoe, also better protection for you feet/toes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    would you reccomend the high top ones? Or the low profile ones....
    The low ones felt fine, but I went with the high tops, for the ankle support and protection, and they are comfortable.

Try both if you can.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How do they fit? Say compared to Vans? I want a pair but I hate ordering stuff like this over the net...

wuss
    I have the same problem, they are not available locally. How is the sizing?

mtbr member
    any skate shoe works great on platforms... i wear etnies. i also have airwalk, and vans
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    I have the same problem, they are not available locally. How is the sizing?
    my Vans and 5.10s are the same size 9. The 5.10s *might* be a bit narrower, but the length is close enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    my Vans and 5.10s are the same size 9. The 5.10s *might* be a bit narrower, but the length is close enough.
    I found them a bit on the small side. I wear a size 12 Nike's, and had to exchange my size 12 5.10's for 12.5.

mtbr member
    I found my 5.10's to be about right. My other shoes are a pair of Salomon trail runners and both are the same size. I've read that 5.10 will help ya out if you need to exchange them for a different size.

mtbr member
    ugh i ordered a pair of 5.10's from blueskycycling.com, and they were listed on the site as 'in-stock'.... but they just sent me an email saying they are backordered.... ****ers

mtbr member
    ugh i ordered a pair of 5.10's from blueskycycling.com, and they were listed on the site as 'in-stock'.... but they just sent me an email saying they are backordered.... ****ers
    I basically stopped ordering from blueskycycling for that very reason. Their website is not linked to their inventory. Now I order most everything from JensonUsa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast