Thread: what to do

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

what to do

i was wondering if it is pointless to upgrade my iron horse quantum II or if i need to just start fresh... thanks

Upgrade your life
    Well thats pretty vague. Im not going to have an answer but i can tell you that you are going to need to provide:

What is wrong with your current setup?
    What kind of riding do you do?
    How much do you have to spend.

Basically anything about your situation and why you are asking the question.

J

mtbr member
    Limited info but ya know IH is no more so...... if you have any problems your SOL anyway.
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Full XT cockpit
    Thompson X4 Elite Stem
    Easton Haven Carbon Handlebars / Seatpost

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i dont really know much about the bikes, i just ride them. i do alot of jumping and urban stuff. i know it has hayes ih2 disks and i just stuck in a new sram casette along with maxxis cross marks. it is all stock, but it still can take a beating. i dont have that much to spend but what would be a good start for upgrading?

mtbr member
    Keep it as is... Ride it and replace bits when they break.

Ask yourself why you're thinking of upgrading? People seem to upgrade because of:
    - broken parts
    - want lighter (faster/less durable) / heavier (slower/stronger) parts
    - fashion (a colour change can be as good as a new bike!)
    - performance issues (something doesn't work well and throwing money at it can fix it)

Until you know really why you want to "upgrade", any upgrade is pointless. For example, I wanted to lose weight and lower the front end of my bike recently. The position was too upright and I wanted a more XC feel. I had some spare cash and a new set of forks dropped the ride height (@30mm) and weight (1 lb). Upgrade worthwhile!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i was kinda looking to get a new stem and handlebars, any suggestions, and would this even make a noticable difference