Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

What Chainguide's are you guys using?

So, I'm looking for a chainguide for my AM rig, and I'm not really quire sure what to get. I've used a blackspire stinger before, and while it was great, the chain would still jump off the middle ring (I run a 1x9 setup) and get lodged between my cranks and my frame. I've looked at the N-Gear Jumpstop and such, but I'd like to get an all in one piece to replace my stinger.

What recommendations do you have? Oh, and my bike has ISCG OLD tabs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have the mrp mini g2 sl and love it. Never drop a chain and has proved to be pretty durable after many rock hits. E thirteen has many similar products but I have always like mrp for some reason

mtbr member
    the e.13 xcx has served me well. never dropped a chain in the land of rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cant go wrong with Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts

Half the price of the mrp/e13 versions and you can pick the colour

usually cranky
    if you live in europe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a Gamut. All the guides are pretty good.

As this is the All Mountain forum, I think chain ring protection is a good feature. At least I get some use out of my bash guard. It also helps to the chain ring out of my leg when something inadvertent happens.

mtbr member
    Gamut, E.13, MRP will all work amazingly good

Ive a stinger on my 1x9 setup and works wonders, used it on 2x9 and also worked damn well

A Buddy of mine runs his Jamis Parker (Full suspension, contrary to my HT) and also works perfectly i dont think hes ever dropped a chain.

Off course, this is with the proper couple of links dropped from the chain..

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a 1 x 9 setup and use E13 DRS combines with a N Gear Jump Stop. Once I wen 1x9 I was going to set a single ring chain guide but the DRS with one ring works perfect with the Jump Stop. Never drop a chain, almost no chain slap.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    I have been running a Straitline Silent Guide. It's super smooth and awesome to look at! :P
    Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon - Specialized Demo 8 II
    YKYMF - YouTube Channel - AM/DH Vids

mtbr member
    I like the MRP G2 for no other reasons but looks, its a quality product, as im sure the other brands are also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I have a 1 x 9 setup and use E13 DRS combines with a N Gear Jump Stop. Once I wen 1x9 I was going to set a single ring chain guide but the DRS with one ring works perfect with the Jump Stop. Never drop a chain, almost no chain slap.
    i recently went to a similar setup but with a blackspire stinger and Jump Stop.

it worked OK at first, but now the Jump Stop has begun to fail me on a fairly consistent basis. I just dont think they are up to the demands of AM riding. if i could take out a few more links, it might work, but i think im at the right chain length as it is

I'm now going to end up geting kicked in the ass for trying a cheapo setup because I'm going to end up buying one of the tensioner/gude/guard all-in-ones...looking at MRP or E13

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Since this topic is already at the top, I'm going to jump in and steal it for just a minute..

Anyone have suggestions for a guide for a 1x9 that DOESN'T have ISCG mounts at all? Currently using square taper BB/cranks on a 32t ring.

I was looking at a ring guard and a seat tube mounted chain catcher, but if there is a better alternative, I will look at it.

To the OP's question, I have an E13 XCX on my Iron Horse, and it works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    Since this topic is already at the top, I'm going to jump in and steal it for just a minute..

Anyone have suggestions for a guide for a 1x9 that DOESN'T have ISCG mounts at all? Currently using square taper BB/cranks on a 32t ring.

I was looking at a ring guard and a seat tube mounted chain catcher, but if there is a better alternative, I will look at it.

To the OP's question, I have an E13 XCX on my Iron Horse, and it works perfectly.
    i'm assuming you want a bash guard and/or roller of some sort, otherwise you'd just use another xcx?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    i'm assuming you want a bash guard and/or roller of some sort, otherwise you'd just use another xcx?
    I haven't seen an XCX for BB mounted setups, or I would probably get one. I don't have ISCG on this Banshee, and have no experience with BB mounts to know what to look for in one by myself..

EDIT: LMAO I retarded myself there. Meant to say I was using an SRS on the Iron Horse.

Just did a google on XCX and saw the BB mounted one. But it just looks like a guide, not the rollers like on the SRS.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen an XCX for BB mounted setups, or I would probably get one. I don't have ISCG on this Banshee, and have no experience with BB mounts to know what to look for in one by myself..

EDIT: LMAO I retarded myself there. Meant to say I was using an SRS on the Iron Horse.

Just did a google on XCX and saw the BB mounted one. But it just looks like a guide, not the rollers like on the SRS.
    haha - it's all good.
    e.13 makes a bb mounted iscg plate you can use to attach iscg mounted guides. also mrp makes most if not all of their guides available in bb mount. should be plenty of options there.

Go faster!
    I'm running a Race Face bash guard with a MRP non ISCG backplate. I am also using a smooth (non grooved) MRP roller which prevents any unnecessary chain twisting which I've experienced on the standard MRP roller. My setup works great with my 2x9.

I do what I want
    MRP strictly, currently the System 3. I am waiting for the G2SL Carbon to be released then I will upgrade.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member

Your square taper BB might not work with the BB mount guide or the BB mount to ISCG adapters. These types of parts sandwich between the drive side BB cup and the BB shell and many sq taper BBs are not designed to account for that extra ~2.5mm distance between the BB cups because the two sides of the bottom bracket are supposed to bottom out and tighten up against each other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Your square taper BB might not be work with the BB mount guide or the BB mount to ISCG adapters. These types of parts sandwich between the drive side BB cup and the BB shell and many sq taper BBs are not designed to account for that extra ~2.5mm distance between the BB cups because the two sides of the bottom bracket are supposed to bottom out and tighten up against each other.
    this is a great point which i didn't take into account with my reply above.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    the Jump Stop has begun to fail me on a fairly consistent basis
    i just bent jump stop back around over my bashguard with some pliers to form more of a "guide" than buffer. i figured I needed to upgrade anyways, but if this works ill report back

usually cranky

i think you will need a seat tube mounted one. not much for a bb mount to lock into with no external bb.

mtbr member
    sshhtraitline ssshhilent guide. pure moto goodness.
    i really should type less and tread more

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Alright guys, thanks for the replies on my question. The square taper BB was what I was afraid of; Not being able to lock the BB Brackets on.

Guess I will have to stick to the seat tube clamp..

/thread steal

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    None,overkill on a AM bike,two rings a bash guard and proper chain alignment and length = no dropped chains ever! just sayin,two are better then one.
    Last edited by techfersure; 08-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    None,overkill on a AM bike,two rings a bash guard and proper chain alignment and length = no dropped chains ever!
    context of this thread is single ring setups, and those rarely work without a chainguide of some sort even on xc bikes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast