Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

what chain lube do yall like the best for dry/dusty conditions

ive been using RnR Gold, but i think im gonna switch to Finish Line Dry
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    I live in Tucson (aka very dry and dusty) and I tend to use Dumonde Tech Lite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Was big fan of rock n roll, but found Squirt. Last's all day long in dry dusty conditions.
    Really is awesome for dry dusty moon dust conditions.

How much further ???
    I live in Phoenix and I use White Lightning Clean. No issues.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am a big fan of the Rock N Roll Gold lube. There are plenty of good ones out there though.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Progold is the best on the market.
    I use "extreme" in all conditions except rain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Progold is the best on the market.
    I use "extreme" in all conditions except rain.
    whats Progold
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    whats Progold
    Google 'dat ****.

Huffy Rider
    I live in dry dusty AZ and have used Nashbar brand dry chain lube for years on MTB's and road bikes. It's cheap and works as it should.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I ride in some serious dust and sand, and after trying several "dry" lubes, I settled on finish line krytech. Runs way cleaner than white lightning, rnr gold, finish line dry. And stays longer as well.

mtbr member
    another vote for "Squirt"

mtbr member
    Pedro's Ice Wax 2.0 - awesome lube for dry dusty conditions. I've tried a bottle of squirt and find it builds up waaay too much gunk, the ice wax 2.0 is similar in a lot of ways, but seems to work a whole lot better, last a lot longer and run a lot cleaner.

Designed by some PhD in chemistry at MIT who was in the cycling team there. Made of bees wax and all natural. Geez this sounds like an ad ha ha, but I've been looking for a long time for a new lube that is approved to work with my mrp chainguide and this stuff is the shizz. Really dumb name though - ice wax 2.0, just doesn't roll off the tongue I gotta say.

Mmmmm...tacos....
    I've been trying Finish Line Dry and not real happy with it. Only lasts about 20 miles on my MTB and maybe 50 miles on my roadbike. I dunno, seems to me you shouldn't have to lube your chain before every ride.

mtbr member
    I used wax for years (mostly white lightening & RR) but got sick of the cleanup...it loads up over time on cogs, chain rings and chain and is just a pain in the arse to clean. I also dont think it does a good job of getting into the rollers.

I like tri-flow or ANY oil based lube....easy to clean, just works...any condition

Bro Mountainbiker
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    I used wax for years (mostly white lightening & RR) but got sick of the cleanup...it loads up over time on cogs, chain rings and chain and is just a pain in the arse to clean. I also dont think it does a good job of getting into the rollers.

I like tri-flow or ANY oil based lube....easy to clean, just works...any condition
    I like triflow for my road bike and for wet conditions, but it just attracts so much grit on the trails.. Sometimes I feel like all the particles stuck to the chain are destroying the chain faster than if it was dry.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like and use Progold.

mtbr member
    I used the Dumonde Tech "green" for years and liked it but you have to use it very sparingly and wipe of the excess well or it does tend to build up over time. My shop started carrying the Finish Line Wet
    lube so I've used a bottle or two of that lately and like it a bit better....even for the dry conditions. Doesn't build up as much, doesn't attract grit, and lasts for a couple three rides (unless it's super bug dusty, silty).

I haven't really liked the wax-based lubes like White Lightning and Pedros. They don't seem to last more than 10 miles in my dry, dusty conditions.
    Last edited by KRob; 02-26-2013 at 04:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I am a big fan of the Rock N Roll Gold lube. There are plenty of good ones out there though.
    I prefer the RnR Blue Lube. The Gold is good too.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    If you're only in dry conditions try a paraffin wax dip (not a wax based lube). Awesome dry lube that will last for several hundred miles, but will wash away as soon as it gets wet. Get a cheap crock pot and a block of paraffin from the grocery store, clean your chain thoroughly with mineral spirits while the wax is melting in the crock pot. Drop the chain in, let it soak for 30-40 minutes, pull out with a coat hanger, let it try, pop the links free by hand, reinstall, ride around the block sweeping the gears to free up any hardened wax and then you're good to go. Supposedly the wax fills up all the space in the rollers so no grit can get in and cause wear, lots motorcycle guys swear by wax lubes as well. Got ~4K miles out of my old road bike chain using this method last year.

ProLink worked pretty well in the past but just didnt last long at all. Burned through a bottle of Dumonde Lite on the mtbs last fall and it worked really well for dryish GA conditions. Trying ChainL for 2013 but havent had too many rides on it due to a wrist injury.

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    I use Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube.

I´ve had no problems with it.

It leaves your chain really clean.

www.derbyrims.com
    Another fan of Squirt chain lube. Squirt dry lube is water based (unlike solvent based wax, Squirt doesn't soften the existing wax when reapplied), long lasting, doesn't build up on the surfaces of chain or gears. The best I've used for conditions where there is dust or mud, dry or rain.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

I have tried a bunch and keep going back to Boeshield.

Sometimes I can put a little too much on and it looks like the link plates get dirty, but all running contact surfaces stay clear and run quiet and it usually lasts 100-200 miles of riding.

I'm with stupid
    I mainly use Squirt, but have pedros that I got a huge bottle off chain love for super cheap that I use on my commuter bike.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I mainly use Squirt, but have pedros that I got a huge bottle off chain love for super cheap that I use on my commuter bike.
    How does Squirt work with moon dust? Like they have down at Phil's world, I used t-9 last year and a quarter of the way thru the 16 mile course my chain was already kinda squeaky.
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

I'm with stupid
    Works just fine for me. We get the same effect up here in colorado springs fromt he decomposed granite getting smashed dow and so dusty that you and your bike turn a shade of red from the dust. Never had a issue with the chain getting gunked up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast