Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Zaf
    mtbr member
    I live in central Australia, been using the Shimano PTFE to god effect in dry conditions. Amazing lubrication, stays quite smooth and doesn't pick up grit as long as you apply it at least an hour or so before the ride.
    The only draw bank with it is that it doesn't let very long. I need to re-lube the chain every, 5-10 hours of riding for it to stay running quietly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have tried a lot of them, I look for also keeping the drive train clean and not so dirty looking, I am a big fan of the Rock N Roll Gold lube!
    2013 Anthem Advanced 29er
    1999 Turner 02
    Raced for Mongoose Bikes from Alum,Carbon to TI.
    1987 Redline Mountain bike

mtbr member
    Rock N Roll Gold.

It gets incredibly dry and dusty here in Utah, and I've tried about everything. Dumonde Tech was expensive and seemed not to last long at all. Boeshield T9 was my go-to lube, but dust stuck to it like a magnet if it was at all wet when I started riding. I never remember to apply chain lube the day before I ride, so before long, my chain would be black as can be, full of grit. Same with TriFlow. The dry powder/graphite lubes wouldn't pick up dirt, but they didn't last at all. White Lightning and Squirt were decent, but seemed to pick up a lot of dirt if applied at the trailhead. The only lube I've found that lasts a long time, stays clean, and doesn't have to be applied the day before is Rock N Roll Gold. Rock N Roll seems to lubricate at least as well as T9, but it for some reason doesn't pick up much dust at all. Even when I apply it right before riding, my chain still looks clean at the end of a ride. Fantastic stuff.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rock n roll gold ordered. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Here in SoCal, I have had good luck with RocknRoll blue. I usually lube every other ride taking care to hit every link,then running the chain backwards through a rag. Drivetrain performance and longevity is good.
    -Ride On,
    George
    George Wong

Chris Bling
    I am up in northeastern nevada and still have not found that mystical chain lube that will last more than 1 ride in the moondust. I am not sure if its the composition of the dirt or what, but I can't get the lube to last.

I routinely use T9 and Rock n Roll Gold. Apply the night before and wipe every last bit off I can. We share the trails with dirtbikes, so they go to deep moondust in a hurry. Anyone else up here found something that will work?
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    ... and still have not found that mystical chain lube that will last more than 1 ride in the moondust.
    No chain lube will last very long. It's not a sealed system, so you will always get a fair bit of lube being squished out and dirt squishing in. One long ride, no matter how dusty it is, and you will have little to no lube left in the critical areas inside your chain. Maybe on the outside, but not inside the pivots where it's needed. You're not doing anything wrong, and you're not missing out on some super lubricant because none exists (yet). Frequent application is the key for now.

Btw, I'm from northern NV as well. I know exactly what you're saying about the moondust.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Another vote for Squirt. I ride in the dry Utah moon dust, Squirt has been the best compromise. Stays as clean as White Lightening, but lasts longer.

RnR (Blue and Gold) and Dumond Tech were too "wet" and attracted too much dust.....and removing Dumond Tech is a nightmare!

mtbr member
    I've been using the Finish Line Wet Lube for dry conditions (Moondust in Eastern Nevada) for the last 2-3 years. I last pretty well and doesn't collect dust too bad. It does build up on your sprockets and cogs and derailleur pulleys if you don't clean it off regularly.

However, I just got a sample of Progold Xtreme lube when I was down at the Hurricane MTB Festival and I've been liking that a lot. It seems to last quite a while. Not sure how long because after 3-4 rides I got anal and reapplied. It wasn't sounding dry or making any grinding noises yet.

It does collect a little dust if you ride directly after applying, but if you let it dry it seems very clean, with little build up on the cogs and chain rings.

Anyway, I was impressed enough to order a bottle after the sample ran out.

what chain lube do yall like the best for dry/dusty conditions-progold-xtreme.jpg
    Last edited by KRob; 06-04-2014 at 12:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I've been using the Finish Wet Lube for dry conditions (Moondust in Eastern Nevada) for the last 2-3 years. I last pretty well and doesn't collect dust too bad. It does build up on your sprockets and cogs and derailleur pulleys if you don't clean it off regularly.

However, I just got a sample of Progold Xtreme lube when I was down at the Hurricane MTB Festival and I've been liking that a lot. It seems to last quite a while. Not sure how long because after 3-4 rides I got anal and reapplied. It wasn't sounding dry or making any grinding noises yet.

It does collect a little dust if you ride directly after applying, but if you let it dry it seems very clean, with little build up on the cogs and chain rings.

Anyway, I was impressed enough to order a bottle after the sample ran out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProGold Xtreme.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	898577
    This! I only used Dumonde Tech for the past +10 years until I finally tried this after it was lying around in my shop unused for years that I got free from an event. Doesn't build up as much as the other lube, but easily lasts as long and keeps the chain ultimately cleaner with great shifting. My go to lube from here on out.
    Ride On!

unrooted
    I just ordered the Chain-L

We'll see how it holds up to Bishop and Mammoth dust. . .
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am not sure if it was mentioned somewhere already, but about the best thing you can do for your drive train is to lube it at the end of your ride, then it can soak in and the next time you go to ride just run a rag over the chain to get off any excess oil and dirt.

mtbr member

what chain lube do yall like the best for dry/dusty conditions

Been using rnr gold, blue and some other color over the past year with so-so results. This is what lbs have recommended. (Seem to think most are roadies) I also have super dry silt/moon dust. Thanks to this thread I now have some other options. Ordered some squirt and we shall see how it does! Thanks all

Sent from magic wish granting phone

b a n n e d
    I've tried so many different lubes listed in this thread . . . . all in SoCal and now Vegas.

Chain-L: super messy application (don't do it on the bike or you'll be sorry; makes a huge mess) and didn't last noticeably longer than anything else. The application mess was enough to dump this one.

ProGold: Plain ole' PG won't even last 10 miles. Not even an option. Haven't tried the Extreme yet, but it sounds promising.

Squirt: Had really high hopes for this one, but it made such a mess of the drivetrain . . . I was so pissed I put that on. Also did not last noticeably longer than anything else.

A.T.B. Red: Used this in SoCal - might have been a local thing, as I've not seen it here in Vegas. Worked ok. Nothing memorable.

Dumonde Tech Light: Clean application. Lasts about 20 - 25 miles (i.e., about 1 - 2 rides).

GnarLube Pink and Black: Gimmicks aside, this stuff works. Clean application, easily lasts 25 - 30 miles. My current "go to" . . .

Have not tried RnR lubes, but my experiences with Squirt are enough that I'll never run a wax based lube in the desert again.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    When I take the time to put Chain-L on by putting one drop on each link, letting it sit for ten minutes or so, and then running it through a rag for a minute or so, it runs long and clean. If you just squirt in on while turning your crankset backwards, it will be quite messy.

Tried Rock-n-Roll, Dumonde, Finish Line, White Lightning, Tri-Flow, and lots of others. I like the Chain-L when I take the time to apply it as described.

mtbr member

what chain lube do yall like the best for dry/dusty conditions

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I've tried so many different lubes listed in this thread . . . . all in SoCal and now Vegas.

Chain-L: super messy application (don't do it on the bike or you'll be sorry; makes a huge mess) and didn't last noticeably longer than anything else. The application mess was enough to dump this one.

ProGold: Plain ole' PG won't even last 10 miles. Not even an option. Haven't tried the Extreme yet, but it sounds promising.

Squirt: Had really high hopes for this one, but it made such a mess of the drivetrain . . . I was so pissed I put that on. Also did not last noticeably longer than anything else.

A.T.B. Red: Used this in SoCal - might have been a local thing, as I've not seen it here in Vegas. Worked ok. Nothing memorable.

Dumonde Tech Light: Clean application. Lasts about 20 - 25 miles (i.e., about 1 - 2 rides).

GnarLube Pink and Black: Gimmicks aside, this stuff works. Clean application, easily lasts 25 - 30 miles. My current "go to" . . .

Have not tried RnR lubes, but my experiences with Squirt are enough that I'll never run a wax based lube in the desert again.
    Where might one get Gnar lube? All out of stock on their website...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

CDK
    mtbr member
    Im in Phoenix and use RnR blue and it last way longer than anything else that I've tried. Follow the instructions and its great.
    Clean chain
    drench (not just drip) the chain with it over the cassette
    try to wipe ALL of it off

Lasts through multiple rides and washes easy

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    DuPont Teflon 11-oz Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant - Works great for me.. Has good reviews.

Shop DuPont Teflon 11-oz Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant at Lowes.com

I'm SUCH a square....
    Think outside the box....

I have in the past had good success with Pedro's Ice Wax and Giant Liquid Silk. Since I haven't seen either in 3-4 years, I stepped sideways and found equal success with stainless steel cleaner/polish and 0W-20 wt. Mobil 1.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Where might one get Gnar lube? All out of stock on their website...
    That's a bummer . . . I really don't know. I would email them and ask. They've been super helpful, and one of the girls in the vids is the CS rep

I should update this thread too . . . I went to interbike and got a chance to talk with the Dumonde Tech folks. Seems I've been applying their lube wrong. I was applying the night before, wiping down and then riding. This got me 20 - 25 miles of riding.

According to the Tech folks though, I should be lubing the chain right before a ride, 1 drop per roller, spin the cranks a few and wipe down as best you can and immediately go ride. I did this the day after and am currently at about 40 miles (3 rides) and still running smooth. We'll see if its a fluke or not, but figured I'd update.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    That's a bummer . . . I really don't know. I would email them and ask. They've been super helpful, and one of the girls in the vids is the CS rep

I should update this thread too . . . I went to interbike and got a chance to talk with the Dumonde Tech folks. Seems I've been applying their lube wrong. I was applying the night before, wiping down and then riding. This got me 20 - 25 miles of riding.

According to the Tech folks though, I should be lubing the chain right before a ride, 1 drop per roller, spin the cranks a few and wipe down as best you can and immediately go ride. I did this the day after and am currently at about 40 miles (3 rides) and still running smooth. We'll see if its a fluke or not, but figured I'd update.
    That's how I apply the stuff, and I haven't cleaned my chain all season really, except for cleaning my bike by washing it down with soap and water after real muddy rides. Chain is surprisingly clean, absolutely smooth. I commute too (on a different bike) and sometimes I don't lube for a few days. It always feels smooth and never seems bad. I've been using the stuff for years now and it just works, benefits of dry lube without the extremely short-lived performance and benefits of wet lube without attracting massive gunk.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I am with 007 on the Gnar Lube. I've been using the black (contains Moly) for about 1 year now and its some of the best CL i have used. It cleans up really well and just works. I don't have actual numbers on mileage but mid 20's sounds right and I have gone way past that with no issues.

I ride in Nor Cal and this summer has been one of the dustier years for sure. Not moon dust like Tahoe area but still pretty nasty.

Wax cleanup it horrible, I'm done with all wax CL's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3