Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    hmmm... just can't work out why squirt didn't work for me and the guys I go riding with regularly, we saw all the rave reviews it gets on the internets and all went out and bought bottles of it. Tried it for a month, did everything they say to do in the application, letting it dry overnight etc etc, and it just ended up a black gunky mess, even when used very sparingly. The buildup on the rear derailleur wheels was unbelievable. We all ended up ditching it for good, and can't work out what we did wrong. We've all been mtbing for many years too, ie know how to lube a chain.

We ride for a few hours 4 or 5 days a week in the driest dustiest conditions you can get, so we gave it a good workout. Still got 3/4 of a bottle here. Have been using it on my kids bikes which don't get ridden that often and it seems to be ok on them. Maybe it needs longer time to dry, like a week or something... I don't got time fo' dat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You might be using too much of it. I found that when I reapplied Squirt all the time, it started to build up.

My "go to" technique for Squirt that has worked wonderfully has been to apply it the night before, or whenever I'm getting the bikes ready, couple of days, whatever. Then before the ride do a quick wipe down. Just run the chain backwards through a paper towel couple of times. Then don't reapply until the chain starts to actually squeak. Even if it "looks" like it needs it, but is quiet, don't reapply. After every ride, I run the chain backwards through a paper towel and that's it. My drivetrain has been staying very clean and lasting a long time as well.

Basically finding every hundred miles or so or a whole bunch of water crossings is when I reapply. So if all I'm doing is a 15-20 mile dry ride every couple of days, I'll go almost 2 weeks before reapplying.

-Tom

I'm with stupid
    I also dont reapply ever ride. I apply let dry, then run it. Everytime I am getting the bike ready I pedal it around the street or pedal forward on the stand to check and make sure its shifting fine, if the chain is not making noise i wipe it down with a rag and call it good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    As most "wax" lubes have the same wax ( really teflon particles) in it, Squirt has the most content for its volume, in comparison to RnR, white lightning etc.

Here in CO, we have the some pretty wicked moon dust dry conditions, and with Squirt I can go all week with out a problem.. If your gunking up your chain and pulley wheels, you may be using too much or not letting it dry before riding.
    As others have said, start with a clean chain, but a drop on every link, spin it around a few times , and let it sit overnight. My chain will look bone dry, and have zero build up and run silent for a week before I will re apply. Just remember to do a quick wipe down of the chain after every ride, and you should get great results.

b a n n e d
    Here in SoCal, I've tried quite a few of the aforementioned lubes and the one that works best for me is the Gnar Lube Pink . . . its definitely got a gimmicky smell with their added scents, but I swear to you the stuff goes on clean, doesn't accumulate and easily lasts for 60 - 70 miles per application.

Check out their website too . . . . they've got some good instructional videos on how to lube a chain
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    SOLD!!! Forget all these lubes being discussed, Gnar Lube is the way to go.

Actually I don't know if it really is any better than anything else, but their instructional videos on how to apply lube to the chain sold me. Very informative !

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I use motorcycle chain wax with good results. Less mess than other lubes. You do have to let it dry well before riding though, or it does start to build up in areas. I take the chain off and soak/scrub it with mineral spirits every month or two to clear any build up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    im in socal, where its dry and dusty almost year round. ive used finish line dry, its horrible for dusty conditions. rnr and prolink, ive used, theyre almost even. i like them both. i need to clean the chain every three rides to keep things working properly.

i seem to be going thru the rnr bottle much faster than prolink. thats my only observation. i have a bottle of dumond og ill be using as soon as the rnr runs out.

I'm with stupid
    I think I am sold as well

mtbr member

what chain lube do yall like the best for dry/dusty conditions

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I think I am sold as well
    Now I'm sold too!!
    Last edited by bikepackingdude; 02-27-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

b a n n e d
    All gimmicks aside, I can also honestly say that their Pink lube really works well for me . . . currently have a bottle of the Black stuff, which I don't like as much because it makes a big(ger) mess, but the Pink stuff goes on clean and lasts well. No idea about the Green.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I live in Phoenix and I use White Lightning Clean. No issues.
    Same here. I use it year round in dusty dry conditions or muddy and wet. Works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    You might be using too much of it. I found that when I reapplied Squirt all the time, it started to build up.

My "go to" technique for Squirt that has worked wonderfully has been to apply it the night before, or whenever I'm getting the bikes ready, couple of days, whatever. Then before the ride do a quick wipe down. Just run the chain backwards through a paper towel couple of times. Then don't reapply until the chain starts to actually squeak. Even if it "looks" like it needs it, but is quiet, don't reapply. After every ride, I run the chain backwards through a paper towel and that's it. My drivetrain has been staying very clean and lasting a long time as well.

Basically finding every hundred miles or so or a whole bunch of water crossings is when I reapply. So if all I'm doing is a 15-20 mile dry ride every couple of days, I'll go almost 2 weeks before reapplying.

-Tom
    I remember you being a big proponent of Chain L, how does Squirt compare to Chain L?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    All gimmicks aside.
    That's the funny thing about marketing isn't it? I mean, those babes are smoking hot and the ad is a bit clever, but the brand just comes across as a joke and doesn't make me want to buy the product.

Whereas a product like chain L is underground and you only hear about it by word of mouth or internet forums, must be awesome. Squirt's kind of the same, just one lube from that company, but marketed a bit more scientific and a bit mysterious coming from south africa, and has lots of rave reviews on internet forums.

My favourite lube, pedros ice wax 2.0, has a ridiculous name which makes no sense, comes from a big name tool company, what would they know? and they have no description of what it does and they have 5 different lubes which ads to the confusion, and you'll never read about it on any mtb forum, but IMHO works heaps better than squirt. Marketing is tricky, aye.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    T9 works the best for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I remember you being a big proponent of Chain L, how does Squirt compare to Chain L?
    Chain L is awesome on the road bike. On the mountain bike, it started gunking up in dusty conditions and I've switched in favor of Squirt. I still use Chain-L on the road bike. It does a great job and lasts for-ever, and if you are doing a mud race, it would keep your chain lubed the entire time, but in dry and dusty conditions, it would not be be a "go to"

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Chain L is awesome on the road bike. On the mountain bike, it started gunking up in dusty conditions and I've switched in favor of Squirt. I still use Chain-L on the road bike. It does a great job and lasts for-ever, and if you are doing a mud race, it would keep your chain lubed the entire time, but in dry and dusty conditions, it would not be be a "go to"
    EXACT same experience here. Might have to give Squirt a try, though I'm pretty content with Gnar

mtbr member
    I've been using Orantas with no issues or complaints....seems to be doing well.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    I was looking at this thread to see if I was missing out on a better product. Besides the video (Nice), I don't think I have found a reason to change. I've been using White Lightning for years and it's worked very well. I do apply it before every (almost) ride. I also use a log lighter and burn off the excess right after I apply the lube. My chain doesn't make noise and my drive train stays pretty clean. I also apply a couple drops to my fork slider seals too.

Afric Pepperbird
    A.t.b.

(hmmm... That above is supposed to be all capital letters. Yet another forum glitch. It won't stick)

Stand back
    I've heard that if you get the pink lube on your hands, it stinks and doesn't wash off easily.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    After some reading I'm debating white lightning or squirt or rock n roll...

White lightning CLEAN or EPIC?
    Last edited by Alias530; 06-02-2014 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I use Squirt on my road bike. I get some waxy buildup...but I could be using too much as mentioned before.

On the MTB...I like the Rock n Roll Blue.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've been using Finish Line Dry Lube based on recommendation from my friend that got me start MTBing 5 years ago. I'm not happy with it and I'm sick of cleaning my chain that's full of dirt every 20-30 miles. When the bottle is near empty, the nozzle gets clogged with presumably Teflon bits which suggests the Teflon doesn't do anything for you since it isn't soluble in anything really. It seems like this is the same logic that makes Teflon additives for motor oil pretty much useless gimmicks.

So, I'm on the hunt for something new. I bought a bottle of some Orange named oil which is semi-ok so far and I just ordered some of the Pedro's Ice Wax or whatever it's called. I'm hearing wax is good for SoCal dry and dusty so I'll give it a shot.

Cheers-

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I ride in dusty high desert conditions and like Boeshield T-9 the best. Super easy to clean, sheds dust well and lasts longer than others I've tried. It's kinda somewhere in the middle between a wax and more tradition petroleum lube. You just gotta put it on the night before. I'ts not a good last minute at the trailhead kinda lube.

The one I would never use again is Triflow. Turns everything black, is hard to get off, attract dirt and dust like bees to honey and gets all over your bike.
    Are you really sure about that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast