mtbr member
    Jan 2011

What bike to choose? Marin, GT, Cannondale

I am in the market for a good all mountain ride and have a connection through REI so my choices some what limited, My choices are Marin Mount Vision5.8, Marin Attack Trail 6.8, GT Force, GT Sanction, or Cannondale Jekyll. I am a pretty aggressive rider that loves to go down hill but doesn't mind going up hill. I also plan on riding some 20+ mile rides too. I want something comfortable and able to bomb down some pretty rough terrain.
    Last edited by motoman10; 01-01-2011 at 09:57 PM.

T.W.O.
    I like the Jekyll, Cannondale like doing their own stuff but the do produce great riding bikes. The shock on Cdale is very interesting. If I'm in your position that's what I'd do. that or GT both are good bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I picked up a GT Sanction 1.0 in August. The bike pedals very well, no need to use pro pedal (I weigh 240#). The rear suspension is very active. With a 66 degree HTA, the bike decsends remarkably well. The Sanction keeps me out of trouble.

I have not ridden the others that you mention.

mtbr member
    GT Force...
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have the 2010 marin MV, and I'm a vets class DHer. Its definitely a trail bike, but with a short stem and a 140mm fork it gets ridden everywhere I ride my DH bike at very nearly the same pace (quicker when it flattens out, a bit slower on the steep and rough). The only time I back off is when I'm jumping more than 20ft and not sure if I'll make the transition clean.
    It is, however, mostly used for 1-3hr xc/am night rides at least twice a week.
    So far I have swapped - forks, wheels, stem, seat, chainrings (24/36/bash), rear dropouts (135x12) so it is certainly been an expensive ride to set up.
    If I could swap it for a 2011 I would, the standard 140mm fork would be awesome.
    I believe the attack trail is for a type of riding I dont have access to, the downs just aren't long enough or steep enough. I belive that i would ride an attack trail hard enough to need dh rims, tyres, chain device, etc and it would weigh the same as a full on dh bike. I had a vpfree before and wont go back to that point where your do everything bike is really useless unless its doing more than 20mph down a hill.
    The sanction is very close in abilities to a MV (in my opinion), the force too steep for me and I haven't tried the Cannondale. I still dont believe the GT's are as reliable/low maintenance as they should be - the Marin is superb in that regard and I always choose it when the weather is shitty, xc/am or dh. I would be hard pressed to say that about any other linkage bike.
    Last edited by weedkilla1; 01-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think the Jekyll seems like a great choice, the only problem is I have a buddy that has a Scott genius 50 and i just don't know about the pull type shock. Ive never been able to get it to feel like i think it should. It has never felt like a 150mm travel bike. I'm sure Cannondale and Fox have done there homework and made a great bike, but I would definitely want to ride one first.
    I have heard the Marin rides like a bike with more travel than 140mm and it I have ridden one around a parking lot and the geometry and cockpit felt real comfortable. I just don't know how it handles on the trail. Weedkilla1 makes me feel a little better about its ability.

The Sanction looks like a great bike also! It would be my other top choice at this point.

I also have the option of any Scott bike but as I said earlier i am a little leery of a Genius because of the pull shock setup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a Gt sanction 3.0, its great blike, climb well, only thing i don't like is the fork.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman10
    I think the Jekyll seems like a great choice, the only problem is I have a buddy that has a Scott genius 50 and i just don't know about the pull type shock. Ive never been able to get it to feel like i think it should. It has never felt like a 150mm travel bike. I'm sure Cannondale and Fox have done there homework and made a great bike, but I would definitely want to ride one first.
    I have heard the Marin rides like a bike with more travel than 140mm and it I have ridden one around a parking lot and the geometry and cockpit felt real comfortable. I just don't know how it handles on the trail. Weedkilla1 makes me feel a little better about its ability.

The Sanction looks like a great bike also! It would be my other top choice at this point.

I also have the option of any Scott bike but as I said earlier i am a little leery of a Genius because of the pull shock setup.
    I had a ransom30, never had a problem with the shock and how it feel, though it does take a bit of getting used to but pull shock is just another shock. What bother me on the Ransom is all the remote it comes with, I have adj seatpost remote, and Magura fork remote already on the bar adding the traction control remote is just busy

The only way to find out is to ride it. Go check it out I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

GT good customer service so far

.....and you will need it. I LOVE the way my GT carbon marathon pro rides($ 2100 on clearance from $3600 msrp- performance). Way better than my SantaCruz Superlight. I put 1,100 rides on that Superlight and replaced 2 bushings once ( broke rear triangle ). The GT is not maintenance free. I-drive is more work than its worth. I even sent frame back to GT and fixed wiggly rear pivot for free after 14 months. Very cool. I-drive is really a great system if you are not too busy with the rest of your life to maintain it. Also, given that I bought a mostly XTR carbon bike for $2100, I am not complaining. REI is very expensive.

I'm with stupid
    I rode around a sanction for a while and really liked it. Seemed to do everything well its much better when pointed down but is not a bad climber either.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    I rode around a sanction for a while and really liked it. Seemed to do everything well its much better when pointed down but is not a bad climber either.
    No doubt, GT is one of the top climbing FS design, descend as well.

OP, since you had the 3 choices of brand I think Jekyll is the newest, and latest, I've not seen one yet on the trail, it look solid. I had the old Jekyll, and I held on to that for the longest time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a C'dale Prophet and am waiting to try the Jekyll. The SC Heckler is great too.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    I rode a Marin Wolf Ridge everywhere and loved it to bits. No i'm n a Giant Trance X2. I'd recommend either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    GT Sanction 1 rocks. the 2010 model has a Talas 36 RC2 FIT fork, DHX 5 shock, Hammerschmidt, Elixir CR with 203mm/160mm rotors, CF bars. I threw on CK hubs, DT FR600 rims, Ergon GP1 grips, tubeless tire setup and I'm done.

The 1.0 is definitely burly enough to bomb the descents but climbs much better than I would've expected from its appearance (and weight at around 34 lbs. +/-). As gmbjr said, the 66 degree HTA is a real plus - it has saved me in picking a bad line more than once.
    No bob on climbs and the suspension's pretty plush overall.

I've put it through a lot since July and haven't noticed any major problem with the I-drive that hoolie's seen. However, the Sanction was a symphony of noise on wheels for a little while. The Elixirs took some time and adjustment to settle down. During the break-in period the Hammerschmidt was pretty loud and there were a lot of squeaks and creaks in the pivot points. That all went away on its own after a while.

The 2010 Sanction came in black with gray/silver graphics which I liked. The 2011 is some sort of green and yellow combo which I don't care for too much.

Not familiar with your other choices though people posting on here seem to like the GT Force a lot but my impression is that it wouldn't be as burly if you're being agressive in your descents.

Good luck!

May the Force be with you
    Me Love my GT force Expert