Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Still a child inside...
    Reputation: danyiluska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    844

    No good The "What bike to buy for AM" forum continues

    I would gladly see some cool threads about AM riding, techy climbing techniques, ride reports, reviews, photos...
    Instead of that the dry "x vs y", and "what AM panties i should buy" threads.
    It's a pity, cos i come here less and less. And maybe it's not just me...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: frisky_zissou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    696
    Who cares. This area of biking has such a similar range of bikes that people will always feel nervous when spending this much money. Those threads help people try and get their heads around which bike to choose. I would love to see threads like the ones you stated but as this range of biking gets more and more specialised, people that dont have a clue on what they want so they keep asking questions. I do agree though that new varied threads would be nice, those "which AM bike" threads wont be going away anytime soon.

  3. #3
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,516
    The "AM" changes depending on what mountain, or really if you even have a mountain, and how much you really mean when you say all.

    I used to say XC when I lived in WI, because there was nothing more than a few large hills, but turns out we were really riding more techy stuff and should have called it AM.

    Those which bike threads would have helped me because myself and one of my friends have creaking warped frames on our XC bikes that weren't designed for smaller (1-3 foot) drops.

    Now I'm looking at a new AM bike here in CO. I'm down to choosing between an Iron Horse MKIII or Giant Reign...so...which bike? I might go heavier with a IH 6 point or the Reign X as well.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

  4. #4
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,111
    Quote Originally Posted by danyiluska
    I would gladly see some cool threads about AM riding, techy climbing techniques, ride reports, reviews, photos...
    Instead of that the dry "x vs y", and "what AM panties i should buy" threads.
    It's a pity, cos i come here less and less. And maybe it's not just me...
    I think it is because AM is a rider's state of mind, that whole bikes plug into.

    But if you look at a lot of the components on an AM bike, they break out into XC, AM, FR components (which fits AM to a tee). So I think many of those questions get asked elsewhere.

    For you, I will put up an original thread to the AM forum:
    Crash Techniques - Need Your Tips

    Mr. P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 06-05-2007 at 09:44 AM.

  5. #5
    Still a child inside...
    Reputation: danyiluska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    844

    .

    For you, I will put up an original thread to the AM forum
    Thanks. It's a cool and useful thread by the way.

  6. #6
    El Pollo Diablo
    Reputation: SnowMongoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,479
    I treat them the same way I treat the "what kneepads to buy?!" threads...
    I gently give them an answer, then chide the living hell out of them for being such idiots.
    Some of them talk back, but most realize that if they had been less lazy or idiotic, they would have found their answers.

    Sometimes I see merit in the idea of having limits on threadmaking for new guys (aka set the forum to only allow new threads if you have over X number of posts.) downside to that being some of these asshats spamming (even more!!!) to get up to the required postcount.

    No good solution, so I just make fun of them after giving them a cookie.

  7. #7
    over 50 years of cycling
    Reputation: Twisted Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    I treat them the same way I treat the "what kneepads to buy?!" threads...
    I gently give them an answer, then chide the living hell out of them for being such idiots.
    Some of them talk back, but most realize that if they had been less lazy or idiotic, they would have found their answers.....
    At first I agreed with your "hit the search function first" hammering on people approach, and I still agree that should be the FIRST thing people do....but don't usually.....heck, most people won't read back 3 posts in a thread they are in.

    Problem is pads and bikes are changing so fast that the search function pulls up a lot of quickly obsolete info. And trying to sift through the combination of out of date info and SPECIFIC needs people have for the huge varition in styles and riding conditions, can be a daunting and sometime misleading route to take.

    On the other hand it might be nice if people at least gave it a quick TRY and at least read more than a skimming over of a single previous post in an indvidual thread.

    On second thought, chide away......maybe that will make people at least consider using the search function or reading more than 2 sentences back.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

  8. #8
    Hi!!!
    Reputation: BelaySlave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,544
    How did the AM forum morph into the pseudo-beginner forum? Is it because the term "AM", to some people, means "all things about mountain biking" instead of the accepted form of riding known as AM?

    Here are some recent examples:
    should i get this bike
    looking for this "style" frame
    Trek 6000..upgrade
    Please help me on my set-up ...old TREK :(
    Last edited by BelaySlave; 06-05-2007 at 03:11 PM.

  9. #9
    over 50 years of cycling
    Reputation: Twisted Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    533

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    How did the AM forum morph into the pseud-beginner forum? Is it because the term "AM", to some people, means "all things about mountain biking" instead of the accepted form of riding known as AM?

    Here are some recent examples:
    should i get this bike
    looking for this "style" frame
    Trek 6000..upgrade
    Please help me on my set-up ...old TREK :(
    And possibly my all time favorite quotes:

    "Royce Union makes good bikes. All-Mountain worthy in fact."

    I wonder if he will even figure out how much of a slam that polite statement is?
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

  10. #10
    Hi!!!
    Reputation: BelaySlave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,544

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Trail
    And possibly my all time favorite quotes:

    "Royce Union makes good bikes. All-Mountain worthy in fact."

    I wonder if he will even figure out how much of a slam that polite statement is?



  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dnlwthrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,248
    Maybe they should move the "what bike to buy" and "where are the best deals" to the top of the main page...

    I agree that "All Mountain" is getting misunderstood by the masses.

  12. #12
    Northern Aggressor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    708
    As for the influx of beginners to the board:

    Personally, I think most people come into the sport riding XC on entry level-often old bikes, then they slowly start riding more and more techincal stuff, until they find themselves riding up the trails other people are riding downhill type bikes on. They think there really skilled... then they start running into guys with big trail bikes, knee and elbow pads... then they find the term "All Mountain".... and they post stupid AM questions on this board.... just like I did 6 months ago!

    ...and all of you guys did too

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    142
    Heh... but it IS an important question what to buy... imagine you want to ride AM but buy DH shorts ... (or even worse XC ones ) - you're basically screwed!

  14. #14
    Northern Aggressor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by trialsrookie
    Heh... but it IS an important question what to buy... imagine you want to ride AM but buy DH shorts ... (or even worse XC ones ) - you're basically screwed!
    Screwed?!? If I accidentally rode "AM" in a pair of XC shorts, I'd probaly just quit riding!

  15. #15
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Yeah, it's wierd. AM (dorky definitions aside) basically describes the type of riding I do most often so you would think that I would come here more frequently. But after giving it a go for a few months, I find very little of interest on this board.

    I agree it has a lot to do with all the "which fork" threads.

    I tend to visit the Turner forum now for good AM content... sure, the homers can be relentless dorks, but there are often some great riding threads to be found.

    JMH

  16. #16
    Your bike is incorrigible
    Reputation: Guyechka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,135
    Just for you I'm going to go dredge up the single worthy thread in this forum...

  17. #17
    squish is good
    Reputation: Clutchman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,933
    Hey now, I'll come forward speaking as one of the accused here. The category of "All Mountain" still seems to mean alot to different people, but I think the fact that there is a niche of equipment being labeled all mountain, and a forum labeled all mountain... well it seems to me that the logical place to ask questions about that stuff is here! I don't ask specific questions about this vs. that because I'm too lazy to hit the search button or scroll further down. It's because it's information I can't find and I would like to hear opinions from the guys who are using it like all of you, not a bunch of tech reports off a website or from the random group of folks hanging out in the appropriate general tech forum. Here you talk to the people who are using it and you don't have to sift through the IMO, but I never actually laid eyes on one posts. Ride reports are sweet and all and I love reading them, but don't try to shoot guys down who are curious and respect the opinions of the people here.

    That said, here's my list of complaints about posters. People need to use the search function FIRST. If you can't find it, then ask and put what makes your question specific in the title. I do have a beef with somebody who asks the old proverbial question "which all mountain sock to buy?". This category includes such frivilous equipment as hydration packs, car racks, rear fenders, etc. Got to love the forum rage, do they have a clinical diagnosis for this yet?

  18. #18
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    It's no different than any other threads on MTBR. It is a source to tell others about there great ride day, hook up with fellow riders, get information from those that ride the same style, flap there wings about how cool they are, etc. I have meet & ridden with more people by posting rides on the DH/FR forum then in the Nor Cal forum.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •