Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    15

    What is the best mtb under $500??

    Hey everyone thanks for looking and tell me your opinion in December is Christmas and my mom and dad are getting me a new bike because my bike now is crap the bearing blown out in the crank and its just no good anymore so i showed them the giant revel and now that i think giant makes good bikes but they are overpriced for the money, but i might just get the revel anyways but the revel dosnt have a rear shock and im a hard rider and prefer a shock in the back because im going to put money in the bike to upgrade but any suggestion on a full suspension bike under $500 thanks!

  2. #2
    Mountain Lion Bait
    Reputation: renderedtoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    865
    There are no quality full suspension bikes made for under $500.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,847
    Quote Originally Posted by ReconBikes View Post
    Hey everyone thanks for looking and tell me your opinion in December is Christmas and my mom and dad are getting me a new bike because my bike now is crap the bearing blown out in the crank and its just no good anymore so i showed them the giant revel and now that i think giant makes good bikes but they are overpriced for the money, but i might just get the revel anyways but the revel dosnt have a rear shock and im a hard rider and prefer a shock in the back because im going to put money in the bike to upgrade but any suggestion on a full suspension bike under $500 thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by renderedtoast View Post
    There are no quality full suspension bikes made for under $500.
    This.

    And if you think Giant is overpriced, then who knows what to suggest because as far as on the lower end of the scale, they are a decent value.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    41
    Look for used, then take it to your lbs for a full tune up. You'll have something more than ample for under 800$. Closer to that 500$ goal if you look hard enough!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,215
    Quote Originally Posted by ReconBikes View Post
    Hey everyone thanks for looking and tell me your opinion in December is Christmas and my mom and dad are getting me a new bike because my bike now is crap the bearing blown out in the crank and its just no good anymore so i showed them the giant revel and now that i think giant makes good bikes but they are overpriced for the money, but i might just get the revel anyways but the revel dosnt have a rear shock and im a hard rider and prefer a shock in the back because im going to put money in the bike to upgrade but any suggestion on a full suspension bike under $500 thanks!
    That is one awesome long sentence.

    Another vote that you will get a significantly better hardtail for $500 then FS.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ironbrewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    284
    You cannot buy a new bike for $500 that will be quality. Don't bother. You need to look carefully at the used bike market. You might not get the latest tech, but will get a decent bike if you are careful.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,555
    There was a new 29 hard tail with good drive components, SLX/Deore and a decent RockShox XC28 TK fork for 400 a month ago on BikeDirect. The Gravity Point 2. But it is sold out in all sizes except 21.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point2 29er Mountain Bikes
    Keep looking and don't go for something with a Suntour fork.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by ReconBikes View Post
    Hey everyone thanks for looking and tell me your opinion in December is Christmas and my mom and dad are getting me a new bike because my bike now is crap the bearing blown out in the crank and its just no good anymore so i showed them the giant revel and now that i think giant makes good bikes but they are overpriced for the money, but i might just get the revel anyways but the revel dosnt have a rear shock and im a hard rider and prefer a shock in the back because im going to put money in the bike to upgrade but any suggestion on a full suspension bike under $500 thanks!
    How about repairing the bike w/ quality parts?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfrider View Post
    How about repairing the bike w/ quality parts?
    That i might do thanks!

  10. #10
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,727
    FS bike under $500. Well, there is always Walmart or Kmart. But for quality FS, they start at around $2000.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

  11. #11
    two wheel whore
    Reputation: Shmoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    473
    Hey bud, few years ago I had a used Redline D440, and it was fun. Rode it more than my other bikes that cost much much more. Steel, rigid, 1x8. Super fun. I think I got it for $300, used.

  12. #12
    Sergeant Spandex
    Reputation: lewisfoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    562
    @ $500 price point ists going to be old but:

    Specialized FSR? might even be all XT

    Giant I-Drive ditto

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Hello, I would like to ask a couple of questions to you, OP.

    Is your frame cracked, is it not the right size for you, or are you just wanting a new ride?

    I ask because for $500 you could replace some of the main components of your ride and keep riding a familiar steed, instead of getting a new one.

    You say bearings are shot, they can be replaced.

    Might I ask what is the make and model of bike you currently have?
    What type of riding do you do and/or want to do?
    What is your size ?(height and weight)are you tall, short, a Clydesdale, a hardcore...etc.

    You have apparently ridden your bike to the point of parts failure. Congrats. You have ridden harder/farther then most.

    I would look at upgrading/replacing certain parts before I would look at getting a new ride. And then being forced to go through the process of getting the cockpit right and upgrading certain parts.

    $500 is having all new Enduro bearings put into the frame, replacing the BB, and maybe replacing other parts for fit. Possibly replacing crank/BB ,chain, cassette, and having suspension "pushed".

    Just a suggestion....for $500 I believe your best route is to upgrade. (or ask for $900 and do alot of house work)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    15
    No my frame isn't cracked i want a new ride but i have a genesis v2100 it has some new wheels on it and new front fork its a sr suntour yeah the bearings in the bottom bracket squeak and are very loose i like the bike but i want a new one because its too heavy 40+ lbs and its a full suspension and it has a new seat lighter too upgraded front disc for the disc brake new front rim also im 5'9 the bike fits me but my old 29er fit me real awesome i loved that bike but the back end broke off and i returned it. they were no longer made that model so i couldn't buy another one.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    164

    Re: What is the best mtb under $500??

    Have you thought of trying to build one. You could probably find a nice hard tail frame online used for under $300. I know chain reaction has the blue pig for $300 new. Ive also seen the redline d660 frame on ebay and pink bike for around $200. I bought a redline d610 for $550 (full bike) recently and it was a great bike. Something like one of the above w a headset and bb and and a used fork would probably set u back about $600-700. You could swap over some of the still working parts from your old bike until u have the money to upgrade them.

    It was fun for me learning to work on a bike, but there can b added costs for tools.

    Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •