Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

What is the best 6" travel all mountain bike

I am looking to buy a new bike so what would you say is the best 6" travel bike, would like ajustable travel on the front i.e. 110-150 and would like it under 30 pounds in weight. Been looking at specialized enduro 08.Do a lot of cross country but like to do a bit of freeride and downhill aswell.Would like lock out on the back too.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    there is no "best" without knowing more specifics about your riding style or your budget or you in general(height, weight, etc) we can't reccomend a bike, that being said, the enduro is a pretty good place to start.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    I am 5`10 weighing about 13 1/2 stone and my riding style is aggressive crosscountry with a budget of 1400 for a new or second hand off ebay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'd be looking at a Commencal Meta 5.5. Huge amount of bike for the money (UK).

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    The "best" bike is the one you really feel fit with, make you happy, riding more with grin ear to ear, minimum hassle (like less maintenance time due to issues on the components, the important factor for wet riding area like England), the one you feel more of positive side and conceal the compromise from whatever system the bike has. It should match yor riding style and the trail you mostly ride.

Today suspension system has narrowed the gap to cover wider spread of riding style and terrain. A good thing for us the rider. However, you still have to test ride as possible as you can to get the best bike for you. Your best may not be other people best. You could still do the search in this forum to tap other people choice closer to your need.

Your Enduro is a good tried and proven bike with FSR system that has been tweaked and tune to suit bike geometry and shock technology. There are later system like VPP or DW Link that people like and get more hype than FSR.
    Good luck on your search.

AllMountain+CwmcarnUplift
    With the Specialized Enduro im Sure they have had alot of trouble with their own brand Forks and shocks, best to do some research on them before you buy. I was in your shoes a few months back and looked at a good few bikes. It sounds like you very similar to me with a change of riding styles and also i live in Wales.

There were a few options i looked at, Trek Remedy, Commencal and LaPierre but i went with the Cube Fritzz in the end. I got an 08 model so got a discount of 300 which brought it down to 1500. The Trouble is tha Cube have now increased their prices buy 300 so the 09 Fritzzz is now 2100. I know there is a second hand one on ebay built more for downhilling atm and its starting price is 1250

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cube-Fritzz-do...1%7C240%3A1318

hope this helps?
    If your not falling off, your not riding fast enough!

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1

C.U.S.T.O.M
    Aug 2008
    No offense, but I'm starting to hate all these "whats the best" questions. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    This is a very subjective matter and its up to your own preference and opinion. BTW, I've been wanting an ipod nano for quite a while now, but whats the best possible color out there?

Huh?
    Realistically, it could very well be the GT Force Carbon... I ride an I-Drive (2006) and the system is just amazing.

AllMountain+CwmcarnUplift
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy930
    No offense, but I'm starting to hate all these "whats the best" questions. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    This is a very subjective matter and its up to your own preference and opinion. BTW, I've been wanting an ipod nano for quite a while now, but whats the best possible color out there?

Listen mate! I understand you not liking "whats the best" questions but, When Im buyin a new bike with my cash, (which I work damn hard for) I like to know everyones opinion on every last component of that bike so that I dont waste my money, Granted everyones likes and dislikes are different but they are opinions all the while.

So if you dont want to read or reply to the post dont open it in the 1st place (the thread title isnt misleading "it does what it says on the tin"), there are lots of other threads on many other different subjects that you can read and reply to. You could even waste your time and start a thread all about this subject and whine about the people that ask the question "whats the best".

So to Jabba. Ask any question you want b/c these forums are all about helping out. and like i have metioned when parting with your cash you need all the help and advice you can get
    If your not falling off, your not riding fast enough!

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i use my 09 stumpjumper for all mountain riding, i just threw on some downhill minions and i feel like i can tackle anything, within reason of course i dont go hucking the bike off drops its not intended for but gnarly terrain rocky steeps aggressive downhill trails and small jumps and obsticals are no problem for me on this bike

C.U.S.T.O.M
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELindustry

Listen mate! I understand you not liking "whats the best" questions but, When Im buyin a new bike with my cash, (which I work damn hard for) I like to know everyones opinion on every last component of that bike so that I dont waste my money, Granted everyones likes and dislikes are different but they are opinions all the while.

So if you dont want to read or reply to the post dont open it in the 1st place (the thread title isnt misleading "it does what it says on the tin"), there are lots of other threads on many other different subjects that you can read and reply to. You could even waste your time and start a thread all about this subject and whine about the people that ask the question "whats the best".

So to Jabba. Ask any question you want b/c these forums are all about helping out. and like i have metioned when parting with your cash you need all the help and advice you can get
    O lighten up there old man, didn't mean to give you more gray hair. You know as well as I do that vague questions like "whats the best bike" can't be answered by anyone else other then the person asking it. Now if the OP wanted to ask a question comparing lets say between two types of bikes or so, then that's a whole different story.

Since I don't want to come across as a total a**, here's my contribution. Jabba, I was at my LBS not too long ago looking at the Pitch Pro but they insist that I give the Enduro Comp a try, so I did. Aside from a little weight difference, the Enduro definitely felt more supple and the geometry seems more comfortable. While you're at it, take a look at the Reign and Khyber!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    good morning all
    week ago i buy two new bikes meta 5.5.3. 08 for my wife and lapierre spicy 316 08 for me . yesterday was the test for them we went to trail that is climbing a litle more then 210 meters in 1km .must say i made it lapierre climbs like a goat, no need to lever or lock the fork (fox 36 van) and descend was poetry speed was double then ever before and much more controlabile. i highly recomend

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I dont think you are going to get the best six inch all mountain bike with that budget. I would say the best would be either the new tracer vp, or the knolly endorphin ( i know the knolly is 5.5 inches of travel....but still)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would check out the Santa Cruz Nomad, the Trek Remedy, and the Cannondale Moto.

banned
    If you're riding XC, why do you need 6" and why are people recommending bikes on the edge of FR?

siv
    mtbr member
    Leftover Cannondale Prophet 3Z.

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    If you're riding XC, why do you need 6" and why are people recommending bikes on the edge of FR?

Marketing hype/brainwash

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The OP did say:
    "Do a lot of cross country but like to do a bit of freeride and downhill aswell."
    so that's why

banned
    The op's question indicates lots of things that say he/she is an xcer that thinks they do FR by riding over sticks and pointing the bike down 5 ft once in a while. What would someone want a lockout for unless they were XC and overstating the riding they do?

mtbr member
    The op's question indicates lots of things that say he/she is an xcer that thinks they do FR by riding over sticks and pointing the bike down 5 ft once in a while. What would someone want a lockout for unless they were XC and overstating the riding they do?
    a bit harsh but granted lots of people over state their riding - based on what trails you rode in the US , some threads you started and the type of riding you did, were you not way over biked yourself on the RFX when basically the flux would have got the job done?

My point being if the OP wants a 6" travel light freeride bike let him get one! The 08 RFX is a perfect example of a bike used for all mtn biking that most riders will never take to it's limits.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    a bit harsh but granted lots of people over state their riding - based on what trails you rode in the US , some threads you started and the type of riding you did, were you not way over biked yourself on the RFX when basically the flux would have got the job done?

My point being if the OP wants a 6" travel light freeride bike let him get one! The 08 RFX is a perfect example of a bike used for all mtn biking that most riders will never take to it's limits.
    No. I actually had a Flux before the RFX and I was grossly under-biked. My description of "XC" might be skewed, however.

I'm pretty sure this on a Flux would be considered abuse:

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks

Hehe, better to have more bike than not enough, imho.

Linoleum Knife
    What would someone want a lockout for unless they were XC and overstating the riding they do?
    Maybe the only FS he has experience with is from the olden days before Pro Pedal.

I 'member Way back When in Ought Three, you really needed a lockout....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Slow down! No bike - no matter what frame and components - is going to do everything well. The OP stated mostly XC-riding with some FR and DH mixed in. . . 6" might be a bit much unless you're constantly landing 7' drops to flat. Take a look at some "fringe bikes" - SC Nomad or Heckler, Giant Reign, Orange 5. Base the build on what you're going to be riding most of the time. Lots of mud? Check the tire clearance. Don't enjoy turning wrenches? Think about a single-pivot instead of VPP. Finally, now that your bike is set up for the riding you do 90% of the time, you can always cross over to burlier rims and a coil-over shock if the going gets big when you decide it'll be a day of DH or FR.

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er
    Slow down! No bike - no matter what frame and components - is going to do everything well. The OP stated mostly XC-riding with some FR and DH mixed in. . . 6" might be a bit much unless you're constantly landing 7' drops to flat. Take a look at some "[SIZE="3"]fringe bikes[/SIZE]" - SC Nomad or Heckler, Giant Reign, Orange 5. Base the build on what you're going to be riding most of the time. Lots of mud? Check the tire clearance. Don't enjoy turning wrenches? Think about a single-pivot instead of VPP. Finally, now that your bike is set up for the riding you do 90% of the time, you can always cross over to burlier rims and a coil-over shock if the going gets big when you decide it'll be a day of DH or FR.

Oh cool.. a new term for All-mountain!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast