Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 155
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jabba69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    133

    What is the best 6" travel all mountain bike

    I am looking to buy a new bike so what would you say is the best 6" travel bike, would like ajustable travel on the front i.e. 110-150 and would like it under 30 pounds in weight. Been looking at specialized enduro 08.Do a lot of cross country but like to do a bit of freeride and downhill aswell.Would like lock out on the back too.

  2. #2
    I am a pathetic rider...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    644
    there is no "best" without knowing more specifics about your riding style or your budget or you in general(height, weight, etc) we can't reccomend a bike, that being said, the enduro is a pretty good place to start.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jabba69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    133
    I am 5`10 weighing about 13 1/2 stone and my riding style is aggressive crosscountry with a budget of £1400 for a new or second hand off ebay.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,404
    I'd be looking at a Commencal Meta 5.5. Huge amount of bike for the money (UK).

  5. #5
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    530
    The "best" bike is the one you really feel fit with, make you happy, riding more with grin ear to ear, minimum hassle (like less maintenance time due to issues on the components, the important factor for wet riding area like England), the one you feel more of positive side and conceal the compromise from whatever system the bike has. It should match yor riding style and the trail you mostly ride.

    Today suspension system has narrowed the gap to cover wider spread of riding style and terrain. A good thing for us the rider. However, you still have to test ride as possible as you can to get the best bike for you. Your best may not be other people best. You could still do the search in this forum to tap other people choice closer to your need.

    Your Enduro is a good tried and proven bike with FSR system that has been tweaked and tune to suit bike geometry and shock technology. There are later system like VPP or DW Link that people like and get more hype than FSR.
    Good luck on your search.

  6. #6
    AllMountain+CwmcarnUplift
    Reputation: DIESELindustry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    201
    With the Specialized Enduro im Sure they have had alot of trouble with their own brand Forks and shocks, best to do some research on them before you buy. I was in your shoes a few months back and looked at a good few bikes. It sounds like you very similar to me with a change of riding styles and also i live in Wales.

    There were a few options i looked at, Trek Remedy, Commencal and LaPierre but i went with the Cube Fritzz in the end. I got an 08 model so got a discount of £300 which brought it down to £1500. The Trouble is tha Cube have now increased their prices buy £300 so the 09 Fritzzz is now £2100. I know there is a second hand one on ebay built more for downhilling atm and its starting price is £1250

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cube-Fritzz-do...1%7C240%3A1318

    hope this helps?
    If your not falling off, your not riding fast enough!

    Cube Fritzz 2008

    GT Aggressor XC 1

  7. #7
    C.U.S.T.O.M
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    74
    No offense, but I'm starting to hate all these "whats the best" questions. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    This is a very subjective matter and its up to your own preference and opinion. BTW, I've been wanting an ipod nano for quite a while now, but whats the best possible color out there?

  8. #8
    Huh?
    Reputation: airs0ft3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    344
    Realistically, it could very well be the GT Force Carbon... I ride an I-Drive (2006) and the system is just amazing.

  9. #9
    AllMountain+CwmcarnUplift
    Reputation: DIESELindustry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy930
    No offense, but I'm starting to hate all these "whats the best" questions. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    This is a very subjective matter and its up to your own preference and opinion. BTW, I've been wanting an ipod nano for quite a while now, but whats the best possible color out there?


    Listen mate! I understand you not liking "whats the best" questions but, When Im buyin a new bike with my cash, (which I work damn hard for) I like to know everyones opinion on every last component of that bike so that I dont waste my money, Granted everyones likes and dislikes are different but they are opinions all the while.

    So if you dont want to read or reply to the post dont open it in the 1st place (the thread title isnt misleading "it does what it says on the tin"), there are lots of other threads on many other different subjects that you can read and reply to. You could even waste your time and start a thread all about this subject and whine about the people that ask the question "whats the best".

    So to Jabba. Ask any question you want b/c these forums are all about helping out. and like i have metioned when parting with your cash you need all the help and advice you can get
    If your not falling off, your not riding fast enough!

    Cube Fritzz 2008

    GT Aggressor XC 1

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,746
    i use my 09 stumpjumper for all mountain riding, i just threw on some downhill minions and i feel like i can tackle anything, within reason of course i dont go hucking the bike off drops its not intended for but gnarly terrain rocky steeps aggressive downhill trails and small jumps and obsticals are no problem for me on this bike

  11. #11
    C.U.S.T.O.M
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELindustry


    Listen mate! I understand you not liking "whats the best" questions but, When Im buyin a new bike with my cash, (which I work damn hard for) I like to know everyones opinion on every last component of that bike so that I dont waste my money, Granted everyones likes and dislikes are different but they are opinions all the while.

    So if you dont want to read or reply to the post dont open it in the 1st place (the thread title isnt misleading "it does what it says on the tin"), there are lots of other threads on many other different subjects that you can read and reply to. You could even waste your time and start a thread all about this subject and whine about the people that ask the question "whats the best".

    So to Jabba. Ask any question you want b/c these forums are all about helping out. and like i have metioned when parting with your cash you need all the help and advice you can get
    O lighten up there old man, didn't mean to give you more gray hair. You know as well as I do that vague questions like "whats the best bike" can't be answered by anyone else other then the person asking it. Now if the OP wanted to ask a question comparing lets say between two types of bikes or so, then that's a whole different story.

    Since I don't want to come across as a total a**, here's my contribution. Jabba, I was at my LBS not too long ago looking at the Pitch Pro but they insist that I give the Enduro Comp a try, so I did. Aside from a little weight difference, the Enduro definitely felt more supple and the geometry seems more comfortable. While you're at it, take a look at the Reign and Khyber!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12
    good morning all
    week ago i buy two new bikes meta 5.5.3. 08 for my wife and lapierre spicy 316 08 for me . yesterday was the test for them we went to trail that is climbing a litle more then 210 meters in 1km .must say i made it lapierre climbs like a goat, no need to lever or lock the fork (fox 36 van) and descend was poetry speed was double then ever before and much more controlabile. i highly recomend

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    107
    I dont think you are going to get the best six inch all mountain bike with that budget. I would say the best would be either the new tracer vp, or the knolly endorphin ( i know the knolly is 5.5 inches of travel....but still)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35
    I would check out the Santa Cruz Nomad, the Trek Remedy, and the Cannondale Moto.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    If you're riding XC, why do you need 6" and why are people recommending bikes on the edge of FR?

  16. #16
    siv
    siv is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: siv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    727
    Leftover Cannondale Prophet 3Z.

  17. #17
    Riiiiiide...
    Reputation: PsyCro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    If you're riding XC, why do you need 6" and why are people recommending bikes on the edge of FR?

    Marketing hype/brainwash

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    If you're riding XC, why do you need 6" and why are people recommending bikes on the edge of FR?
    The OP did say:
    "Do a lot of cross country but like to do a bit of freeride and downhill aswell."
    so that's why

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    The op's question indicates lots of things that say he/she is an xcer that thinks they do FR by riding over sticks and pointing the bike down 5 ft once in a while. What would someone want a lockout for unless they were XC and overstating the riding they do?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The op's question indicates lots of things that say he/she is an xcer that thinks they do FR by riding over sticks and pointing the bike down 5 ft once in a while. What would someone want a lockout for unless they were XC and overstating the riding they do?
    a bit harsh but granted lots of people over state their riding - based on what trails you rode in the US , some threads you started and the type of riding you did, were you not way over biked yourself on the RFX when basically the flux would have got the job done?

    My point being if the OP wants a 6" travel light freeride bike let him get one! The 08 RFX is a perfect example of a bike used for all mtn biking that most riders will never take to it's limits.

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    a bit harsh but granted lots of people over state their riding - based on what trails you rode in the US , some threads you started and the type of riding you did, were you not way over biked yourself on the RFX when basically the flux would have got the job done?

    My point being if the OP wants a 6" travel light freeride bike let him get one! The 08 RFX is a perfect example of a bike used for all mtn biking that most riders will never take to it's limits.
    No. I actually had a Flux before the RFX and I was grossly under-biked. My description of "XC" might be skewed, however.

    I'm pretty sure this on a Flux would be considered abuse:


  22. #22
    Riiiiiide...
    Reputation: PsyCro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    a bit harsh but granted lots of people over state their riding - based on what trails you rode in the US , some threads you started and the type of riding you did, were you not way over biked yourself on the RFX when basically the flux would have got the job done?

    My point being if the OP wants a 6" travel light freeride bike let him get one! The 08 RFX is a perfect example of a bike used for all mtn biking that most riders will never take to it's limits.



    Hehe, better to have more bike than not enough, imho.

  23. #23
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What would someone want a lockout for unless they were XC and overstating the riding they do?
    Maybe the only FS he has experience with is from the olden days before Pro Pedal.

    I 'member Way back When in Ought Three, you really needed a lockout....

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    548
    Slow down! No bike - no matter what frame and components - is going to do everything well. The OP stated mostly XC-riding with some FR and DH mixed in. . . 6" might be a bit much unless you're constantly landing 7' drops to flat. Take a look at some "fringe bikes" - SC Nomad or Heckler, Giant Reign, Orange 5. Base the build on what you're going to be riding most of the time. Lots of mud? Check the tire clearance. Don't enjoy turning wrenches? Think about a single-pivot instead of VPP. Finally, now that your bike is set up for the riding you do 90% of the time, you can always cross over to burlier rims and a coil-over shock if the going gets big when you decide it'll be a day of DH or FR.

  25. #25
    Riiiiiide...
    Reputation: PsyCro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er
    Slow down! No bike - no matter what frame and components - is going to do everything well. The OP stated mostly XC-riding with some FR and DH mixed in. . . 6" might be a bit much unless you're constantly landing 7' drops to flat. Take a look at some "fringe bikes" - SC Nomad or Heckler, Giant Reign, Orange 5. Base the build on what you're going to be riding most of the time. Lots of mud? Check the tire clearance. Don't enjoy turning wrenches? Think about a single-pivot instead of VPP. Finally, now that your bike is set up for the riding you do 90% of the time, you can always cross over to burlier rims and a coil-over shock if the going gets big when you decide it'll be a day of DH or FR.

    Oh cool.. a new term for All-mountain!!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    Oh cool.. a new term for All-mountain!!
    BWAHAHA!!!

    . . .hey, you think I can get royalties if the advertisers start using this?

    By "fringe bikes" I guess I meant "Jack of all trades, master of none...". The acronym would then be "JOATMON" - and I get dibs on royalties if that gets used by advertisers also!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scarney19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    85
    Check out the Felt Redemption 2. Felt stopped making them in 08, but you can still get one at any shop that sales Felt bikes. I bought mine about a month ago and love it. It's a 6 inch travel bike. It it feels like a downhill/freeride bike, but climbs like a XC bike. Weighs only 33lbs

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    Just cause a bike has 6" of travel doesn't mean it only needs to be used for drops. I regularly use all 7" of travel on my properly sprung 66RC2X. It's plush. Plus the faster you go the harder the hits are and more travel is used. If I need BO control I will dial in the X cartridge.

    As far as 7' drops to flat are concerned, well 3' drops to flat are harsh! Have any of you actually stood next to a 7' drop to flat? I do decent speed 5' drops to tranny on my 6.3" travel bike and I use all my travel. Why? Cause the suspension is setup properly for my typical terrain. 6" of travel is probably too much if you noodle around and never ride fast. But fairly smooth terrain at higher speed can cause a bike/fork to use all it's travel when setup properly!

    Some good choices are the:
    09' Turner RFX (in it's current form)
    Yeti 575, Single pivot simplicity
    09' Giant Reign
    Titus El Guapo
    Pivot Firebird
    Last edited by wormvine; 11-03-2008 at 06:05 PM.

  29. #29
    C.U.S.T.O.M
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    74
    A bit of cross country along with freeride/downhill is "all mountain" in my book. Not great on either end of the spectrum but it will survive both.. Although the OP did mention an Enduro and I'm not too sure that would be my rig of choice for someone mostly interested in xc.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: greenz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    40
    Yeti 575 love it
    A person who exhibits both positive and negative qualities, strengths and weaknesses is not flawed, but complete.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    99
    I was in this position a year ago, and ended up with a Chumba Evo/Talas 36 combination. I bought it largely because I got a killer deal on a barely used frame, but after putting a whole lot of miles on it on all kinds of terrain I don't think I'd have been better off with anything else. It's a bit over 30 pounds, but I think anything under 30 is not really going to be very well suited to FR/DH stuff, unless you spend a whole lot (maybe ti El Guapo and an open budget for light-but-strong components).

    I really like the Evo, but there are a whole lot of superb bikes in that niche (El Guapo, Nomad, Ventana El Terremoto, etc etc) and you'd probably be happy with any of them.

    If you lean more to the XC side of AM, Yeti 575 would be a really good option, as would a whole lot of others in the 5-6" travel range... Turner Spot, Knolly Endorphin, Chumba XCL, many many more.

    None of these bikes are "the best", but they are all so good it's not gonna matter. At a certain point you just pick one and ride it.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,404
    The basic facts of economics rule out most of the recent suggestions on this thread. The OP is UK based and none of the suggestions are viable within a £1400 budget.

    To give you an idea, a Chumba Evo frame only is ~£1300. The Endorphin is over £1000 frame only.

    So while these bikes may be excellent for their riding characteristics, they aren't in the OP's budget.

    For UK riding (especially trail centre stuff like Cwmcarn) something like Marin Attack trail would be excellent. Last year's are getting sold off at ~£1800 now. You might find one secondhand within budget which will give you a Pike up front as well as a fantastic Quad Link rear end. As mentioned before, I've got a soft spot for the Commencal meta 5.5.

  33. #33
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    AM...so many variables.

    I've had an '06 Nomad since January '06. It's been in several different configurations from 35lbs. to its current 32.5lbs. It's been ridden a whole bunch at an extremely rocky, technical dirt motorcycle riding ranch, Moab, and our local trail that is relatively rough. I also have 2 older model Bullits...'99 & '03...that are built up as burly trail bikes. I haven't had an XC type bike since my '01 SC Superlight...sold in '03. I sold that bike because it didn't inspire confidence in the rough or provide what I thought was a worthy speed advantage in the easier stuff.

    I was curious how a shorter travel bike might be to ride after many years of riding 6+ inch AM bikes. We had an '06 Trek carbon Fuel EX 9.5 hanging on the wall at the shop for a very long time, so I decided to try it out. This model is a 4" rear travel with an RS MC3 air shock of some sort that has a lockout, Floodgate, etc...1.5" stroke. I installed an RS Revelation dual air 130mm fork. I installed some decently light components on the frame, but it still ended up being 30lbs...somewhat of a surprise. I thought it should easily get to around 28lbs. with carbon bar, carbon stem, decently light wheels, crank, etc.

    I've been riding this bike like my Nomad and have been decently shocked how competent the bike is in relatively rough terrain...not Moab level by any means but plenty of rocks and such to make most riders on hardtails complain profusely...even some small man-made ramp jumps and such. I have no idea what the geometry numbers are on this frame...sorry...just put it together an rode it. And it might be noted that this 9.5 is not the pure XC model, as that is filled by the Top Fuel, a roughly 3" travel bike during the same mode year...so this is closer to a true trail bike, though not in the vein of the Nomad, Reign, etc. No, this frame doesn't have the axle pivot, ABP, or other doodads of the more recent Treks, so it is an example of a very basic 4" design.

    Why do I mention this comparison? The OP mentions 6" bikes, but what is an AM bike, and how do bikes at the two extreme ends of the possible AM spectrum really compare? This little experiment has shown me that even a basic design like this 4" travel Trek has come a long way since my '01 Superlight. It has shown me how well some of these long travel bikes like a Nomad climb compared to shorter travel bikes...this Trek being only slightly faster and easier to climb with. The Trek impressed me how stable it was in rocks, technical moves, and even some small air jumps. It has caused me to rethink how much travel is really necessary to have a very decent AM bike...and the better and more modern models of 5" or so bikes seem to blur the lines even more. Am I preparing to sell my Nomad and put on some lycra and race a rigid SS bike?...hardly. But I think one should really look at their terrain, skill level, and what they want their bike to truly accomplish when making a purchase decision on a long travel AM bike. Even a long travel trail bike junkie like me can find some new respect for a competent shorter travel trail bike. It also points how hard it is to classify "the best" of any bike in the AM category. Bikes overall have gotten pretty darned good, and when you put good components on them, it will likely be us as the rider that could be the weak link.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: starre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    686
    TNC great post! i'm on a 29er sultan with 4" of travel and it is a competent ride even when the terrain becomes more rocky and technical. it requires me though to focus and pick my lines carefully through the rocky ledgy stuff and really move and position my body rearward on tougher, sketchier downhill stuff. that said, i just briefly tried a nomad the other day for the first time and what struck me is how much less work it was to go down ledgy rocky stuff. i was really impressed. it think it's because the geometry of AM bikes with such a slack head angle simply sets up the bike and rider better for descents. you kinda feel your riding a motorcycle cruiser rather than fighting the downhill hunched over an XC bike. i wonder what a shorter travel bike with 67 degree HA would be like?

  35. #35
    Praise Bob
    Reputation: Spartacus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    ..... But I think one should really look at their terrain, skill level, and what they want their bike to truly accomplish when making a purchase decision on a long travel AM bike. Even a long travel trail bike junkie like me can find some new respect for a competent shorter travel trail bike. It also points how hard it is to classify "the best" of any bike in the AM category. Bikes overall have gotten pretty darned good, and when you put good components on them, it will likely be us as the rider that could be the weak link.
    TNC -Great post! I have a 2006 Moment which I am very happy with, but have been rethinking the amount of bike I really need to accomplish what I ride. I've ridden a few bikes in the same category (Nomad, Reign, RFX) and I am happy with the way the Moment compares, but what really got me to thinking on this subject was when my wife got her MotoLite. It is a 5" bike that rails the trails around here. The bike is super stable, handles well, very flex free and can take some abuse. Her bike weighs in a little over 26lbs and it really seems to leap forward when you get on the cranks. My bike is just shy of 34lbs and you really have to work at maintaining speed. It is somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison since she has superlight wheels/components that I would trash in a hearbeat (I am 210lbs), but it still got me thinking. A modern 5" trailbike weighing in 28-30 lbs can probably handle whatever I dish out.

  36. #36
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    Quote Originally Posted by starre
    TNC great post! i'm on a 29er sultan with 4" of travel and it is a competent ride even when the terrain becomes more rocky and technical. it requires me though to focus and pick my lines carefully through the rocky ledgy stuff and really move and position my body rearward on tougher, sketchier downhill stuff. that said, i just briefly tried a nomad the other day for the first time and what struck me is how much less work it was to go down ledgy rocky stuff. i was really impressed. it think it's because the geometry of AM bikes with such a slack head angle simply sets up the bike and rider better for descents. you kinda feel your riding a motorcycle cruiser rather than fighting the downhill hunched over an XC bike. i wonder what a shorter travel bike with 67 degree HA would be like?
    Good analogy on the motorcycle comparison. I come from a background of dirt motors, and I've always felt my Nomad handled more like a dirt motor more than any MTB I've ridden over all the years...even my Bullits.

  37. #37
    Why not?
    Reputation: Badmamajama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    124
    The Perp 3 from 07-08 has 7 inches of travel....if you want to drop about 2800 USD on it...tho its a wicked nice bike....

    Nothing But Glory, and Everything For It.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    No. I actually had a Flux before the RFX and I was grossly under-biked. My description of "XC" might be skewed, however.

    I'm pretty sure this on a Flux would be considered abuse:


    Man I ride stuff like that and a lot bigger with a hardtail on a regular basis.

    No such thing as underbiked once your in the area of quality bikes, just underskilled
    I Ride Bikes.

  39. #39
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Groffball
    Man I ride stuff like that and a lot bigger with a hardtail on a regular basis.

    No such thing as underbiked once your in the area of quality bikes, just underskilled
    Spinal injury does not equal "underskilled". My spine won't allow an HT for more than occasional use. That's great you do it on a hardtail. It means little, especially in a thread asking about a certain travel level of FS bikes.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Spinal injury does not equal "underskilled". My spine won't allow an HT for more than occasional use. That's great you do it on a hardtail. It means little, especially in a thread asking about a certain travel level of FS bikes.
    Just stating that I don't see how anybody can say that a trail is too much for a certain bike when it all comes down to the rider and his/her skill level... I like the squish too, I take my dualie out a lot more often now
    I Ride Bikes.

  41. #41
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Nah, that's where I think you're wrong. How can one expect something like an XC race bike with a low to mid 5 pound weight handle 4 footers and above for long?

  42. #42
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    While longer than 6" travel, I have heard that the Turner Highline actually climbs really well. You can also get them for cheap now so that is what I would recommend...not sure how good of an endurance racing type of bike it might be if that is your cup of tea but perhaps with something like American Classic wheels it would work for that as well.

    Specialized 6" travel bikes are also really good i hear...the more proprietary parts the better usually. Specialized has realized that the more mainstream parts, even high end ones, are simply not up to par with the rest of their lineup...if you can afford it, a Carbon Specialized would be great and all things considered, the $7000+ pricetag is a real bargain IMHO

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,385
    Hey Jabba, for £1400 as mentioned along the way you can get a Commencal meta 55, and quite a nice spec, my daughter has one and I sneak out on it every now and then, and its great fun climbs and goes downhill fine and jumps great, I have to make sure I clean it well when I get back I bought her the 5.5.3 and then put some bigger tires on 2.35 Nevegals, the standard tires are awful the change transformed the bike, I have a spare set of Pikes that may suddenly go on or a second hand Heckler
    Last edited by jeffus; 11-05-2008 at 10:56 PM.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by jabba69
    I am looking to buy a new bike so what would you say is the best 6" travel bike, would like ajustable travel on the front i.e. 110-150 and would like it under 30 pounds in weight. Been looking at specialized enduro 08.Do a lot of cross country but like to do a bit of freeride and downhill aswell.Would like lock out on the back too.
    ibis mojo is the best bike per your question

    thanks

    mx

  45. #45
    Underweight Rider
    Reputation: AznRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    439
    Surprised no one mentioned a Heckler :P, 6" single pivot perfect for those UK weathers. Can be built burly or light and i'm sure you can get a good deal from any UK online stores.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrgto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    433
    Kona Dawg Deluxe. I love mine. It makes me smile every time i ride it! Im 230lbs and i smash it around all the time. It has not failed me yet. Good components also.

  47. #47
    Pin it to win it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    486
    Another vote here for the Yeti 575. I came off a Turner Nitrous (3 inch travel super-fast, super light race bike) and honestly, I'm almost as fast on the Yeti, I don't notice any real difference in pedaling efficiency, and the suspension lets me climb stuff that I would be walking before.

    I have the TALAS fork on it and when I drop the seat and flip that thing to full travel it feels just like a honest downhill bike. I guess I'd say that I ride aggressive xc - all mountain kinda stuff... fast, steep, technical stuff is common, as are drops in the 1-3 ft range -- though I've hit up to 5-6 ft to flat before (overshot a landing)... feels totally bottomless on those harsh landings.

    I've raced it in everything from xc and short track to 24 hours and downhill events. If you're looking for a sweet bike that can really do it all... definitely take a look.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jabba69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    133
    Thanks for all your comments these are my weapons of choices specialized enduro 08,commencal meta 5.5, orange 5 or turner 5 spot which would you choose.

  49. #49
    from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Reputation: derekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    The best AM bike i've ever owned is my current Nicolai helius AM, build up @ 31lbs running Fox air front/back.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonys102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    461
    But none of those are around 1400 sterling! What about the Specialized Pitch..? The Meta 5.5 is also getting rave reviews, as is the Orange 5.
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •