Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RideDirt

New question here. What AM handlebars are you running ?

Hey guys , im going to be in the market for a nice solid handlebar. i was thinking of picking up the black chrome chromag AM bar.

What are you guys running ?

Aluminum , Carbon, Ti ?

Flat, Lo , Med, Hi Rise ?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think you should hold off on getting $120 handlebars.

Experiment with cheap handlebars in different rises and sweeps until you have a firmer understanding of those equipment variables.

And stick with aluminum until you have a compelling reason not to.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Easton EA 70 mid rise. Think it's 685.

Nothing exciting about it.....just a solid bar. Cheap, durable, comfortable. Good choice to start with. To a degree, I agree with the other poster about "trying" bars but realistically, it's not like you can demo a bar so I don't know how much "experimenting" you can do.

My recommendation is to start with what you know...the EA70 is a popular bar for a reason. I'm not saying that you're going to fall in love with it but it is a good place to start. Start with popular makes, widths and rises. That way you can narrow your choices to 3-4 bars. To an extent you're going to have to buy on faith.

What bars do you have now? What width do you prefer? Do you have a brand preference (besides Chromag). Why Chromag?

mtbr member
    renthal - fatbars alu, 730mm, 38mm rise, 7deg back/5 up sweeps.

these have become my favorite. I ended up putting them on my 4X and dj as well.
    always face the herd

mtbr member
    I've tried a lot of bars, from narrow stock bars to Deity Dirty 30s. I think I've finally found my bar of choice. I really absolutely love the rise, sweep, and width of the Race Face Atlas AM bars. You can get them in a bunch of colors too. These bars just feel great for me personally on the trail. They're not too expensive either. I've got them on 2 of my bikes now (70 and 75mm stems) and just can't get over how great they feel to me. Now bars are a very subjective thing, just like saddles, so nobody can tell you what will work best for you.

Universal Cycles -- Race Face Atlas AM Riser Bars
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

RideDirt
    I actually ran the Deity Dirty 30s and do like them a lot, i have broad shoulders and a wide upper body so that helps me , plus i dont ride on trails that have tight areas so i can get away with wider bars as well.. Well chromag seems to have some light bars , and construction seems pretty good, was just looking to try out another brand , experiment with different brands , i had no problems with Deity at all .

And another reason why i started this thread is to try and figure out what are the popular brands most people use , rather then being sucked up into some E-hype and buying garbage lol . I personally like wider bars , i have ridden on medium rise bars as well.. I was thinking about trying some flat bars , but its not like i can "demo" them .

I like to feel like im on a BMX bike going fast downhills , digging into corners, and taking some small little drops . Maybe that can help a bit better ?

mtbr member

I like to feel like im on a BMX bike going fast downhills , digging into corners, and taking some small little drops . Maybe that can help a bit better ? [/QUOTE]

I ride very much with the same style you describe. more upright and compact. flat bars may not be the best for that style. Getting more rise can help with wheelies, manuals, etc. unless your set up sits fine with you being able to pull up easy enough.
    always face the herd

mtbr member
    Ragley Carnegie bars on my Stumpy. They have resolved the wrist pain, and numb arm issues that I was having from an old motocross injury. I plan on ordering a set of Luv Handles for my Quiring, but I'll need to recable the controls, so that is going to be a Winter project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    I actually ran the Deity Dirty 30s and do like them a lot, i have broad shoulders and a wide upper body so that helps me , plus i dont ride on trails that have tight areas so i can get away with wider bars as well.. Well chromag seems to have some light bars , and construction seems pretty good, was just looking to try out another brand , experiment with different brands , i had no problems with Deity at all .

And another reason why i started this thread is to try and figure out what are the popular brands most people use , rather then being sucked up into some E-hype and buying garbage lol . I personally like wider bars , i have ridden on medium rise bars as well.. I was thinking about trying some flat bars , but its not like i can "demo" them .

I like to feel like im on a BMX bike going fast downhills , digging into corners, and taking some small little drops . Maybe that can help a bit better ?
    I actually liked the D30s as well, but I just thought they were a bit too wide for trail riding (tight switchbacks, etc.). After I put the Atlas AM bars on my 29er HT, I thought they'd be perfect for my trail bike. I thought about cutting the D30s down, but they will go on the bike I use for park days. It'll get some burlier parts and get used for all but the most difficult trails. I just can't justify having a dedicated downhill rig cause I don't get out to the resorts that often, so my previous AM bike is going to get converted.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post

I ride very much with the same style you describe. more upright and compact. flat bars may not be the best for that style. Getting more rise can help with wheelies, manuals, etc. unless your set up sits fine with you being able to pull up easy enough.[/QUOTE]

Ya def , I figured a hi rise bar would work better but I have seen people with flats and wondered if that helps them .. Guess I'll have to experiment lol , what bars do you ride with ?

Wēk Ss
    Truvativ BooBar @ 780mm. Lo Rise.

I4NI
    Both Aluminum
    Easton 70 flat
    Answer pro taper 1"
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Dirty Thirty's here as well.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    I'll second the race face atlas am. Had them on for about two weeks now and really like the low rise and backsweep. FYI I got them for 33 bucks new from the rocky mountain cyclery eBay store.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Dirty 30's here too. Solid bars for their weight.

mtbr member
    Deity BL cut down to 29 3/4". Light, low, wide, and sexy...

r00
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Going to have to third those RaceFace Atlas AM bars. I got from JensonUSA on a deal.. Really wicked so far! Paired with 50mm Atlas stem.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg View Post
    To a degree, I agree with the other poster about "trying" bars but realistically, it's not like you can demo a bar so I don't know how much "experimenting" you can do.
    My path, for example, was to get Hussefelt bars in 20mm and 40mm rises, $20 each. After a few rides, I preferred the lower rise but felt like going wider than 680mm....
    So I sold both Hussefelt bars and now have Race Face Atlas AM, which are 725mm wide and ~20mm rise.

Point is, you can only know what you like if you try it yourself. Sure, nobody likes having to take time to resell things, but ultimately it is worth it. Don't spend $120 on Chromag bars and deprive yourself of the trial and error experience. You'll be happier in the long run KNOWING what sizes of bars don't work for you, and why. It is Okay to have duplicate parts like stems and bars that you acquired in the path to get the perfect fit on your bike. I went through the same process with cranks... trying 170mm, 172.5mm, and 175mm. That journey was a bit more expensive than handlebars, but it was worth it too.

RideDirt
    Ya def , well I know for a fact I enjoy the wider bars compared to the standard XC size bars I guess you could say .. I gotta play w a few different stems probably

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Easton Havoc Carbon cut to 720mm. Love em.

mtbr member
    OP, stick with your first choice!

or really the better thing to do would be get the chromag OSX 760 (the new models start at 780 which is absurd) and cut down in 10mm increments until you're happy. you may find that you like wider than even the AM bars - i think 750-740 is the magic # for AM

you will not regret getting chromag bars they are awesome. worth the extra $20

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    answer pro taper 720 am carbon.....absolutely love them 1mm rise

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    OP, stick with your first choice!

or really the better thing to do would be get the chromag OSX 760 (the new models start at 780 which is absurd) and cut down in 10mm increments until you're happy. you may find that you like wider than even the AM bars - i think 750-740 is the magic # for AM

you will not regret getting chromag bars they are awesome. worth the extra $20
    Thanks bud , ya the price is not an issue for me , but they seem really good .

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by vince7870 View Post
    answer pro taper 720 am carbon.....absolutely love them 1mm rise
    Ya I was also looking at these as well , very sck ... Hmm tough choices :/

Trail Ninja
    I think 745mm (Sunline V-1) was a tiny bit too wide, 725mm (RF Atlas AM) kind of spot on, 685mm (Easton) much too narrow for me. I don't think my shoulders are that wide, being a lean 5'7" Asian.

Gonna swap out an 685mm Easton bar with a Sunline V-1 711mm bar and see how that feels. Sold the 745mm ones. Didn't think to cut 'em.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast