Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

What All mountain bike Should I get

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to go with the Pivot Firebird or Canfield The One. I can get a good price on a custom build kit on either one and these bike dealers are the closest to me.
    Last edited by Electrin; 10-28-2012 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pivot FB is good but you should also consider knolly chilcotin (see knolly forum) they are great bikes.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrin View Post
    I'm going to get a new bike soon and there are a couple that I have in mind.
    Pivot Firebird, Ibis Mojo HD, and Santa Cruz Nomad. I have to say I'm leaning more towards the Firebird because I'm looking for an AM bike that is more on the DH side, also I can get a really good deal on the frame. If there are any other frames that pedal and descends well I'll listen, keep in mind that I would like the rear travel to be 6 inch or longer and at least a 160 mm on the front. Thanks.
    I have had an '11 and now a '12 Firbird, and yes it is a very capable AM/DH platform. One of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden! Mine is built with a 36/160, carbon Havens and 2.4/2.3 Specialized tires and comes in at 31lbs 5 oz. Climbs really well for a mini DH rig and just feels like cheating on the way down.

Being biased, we will all say the one we ride are the best. I'm sure the guys riding the Mojo and Nomad will say the same about their bikes; It all comes down to personal preference.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    pivot FB is good but you should also consider knolly chilcotin (see knolly forum) they are great bikes.
    I havent heard much about the knolly. does it pedal well

mtbr member
    another vote for a Knolly Chilcotin also look into a Lenz Behemoth if 29" tickle your fancy

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    you've opened a real can of worms...based on your 3 top choices you have good taste and a good sized budget. let the games begin!

all I can say is I'm partial to anything with a Dave Weagle suspension for ups and downs. Great riding bikes.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I enjoy the 2011 and 2012 Norco Range bikes. Check them out. I couldn't speak for the 2013s that are 650b as I'm yet to try them. The ones you're already considering are killer too.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Can't go wrong with any of those choices.

T.W.O.
    I had to make the same decision and the choices came down to exactly your 3 choices. I rode all of them quite a bit, it took me almost a year, in the end I bought the HD, it was a tough choices as they are all good bikes HD fit my need the most.

mtbr member
    Look at KRob's post from Interbike. I am biased to the HD since I bought one after riding all of these bikes plus a few more like the SB66 etc. The FB was my least favorite, but the Nomad and HD were very, very close for me. Ended up with the HD based on Ibis being a slightly better climber and their legendary customer service.

I had the opportunity to actually deal with them because of an issue that I was not even sure was an issue. They did not even question it and I had a brand new rear end within 24 hours. They even gave me the choice between 135 and 142.

A lot of people will say the Nomad is a better bike going downhill, but I have done 8' drops on my HD no problem and it eats up rocky descents.

mtbr member
    I like my 2012 Rocky MTN Slayer 70.

Huffy Rider
    Having ridden the HD and firebird and knowing you want to lean more towards dh, get the firebird. Both bikes are very capable but the bird edges out the HD on the descents. Have fun!

mtbr member
    You have to put Canfield Bros One in that list.
    Exceptionnal bike.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Also consider the new Enduro. Rides rather well.

mtbr member
    I've ridden both the Firebird and HD. I felt the Firebird was a more capable descender for my preferences. Unbelievable solid and confidence inspiring.

Truly you cannot go wrong with your initial 3. Test ride if you can and pick the one that makes you laugh like a school girl.

mtbr member
    Lots of good bikes in this segment. My Enduro has been fantastic, especially on the downhill side of things. Resort and bike park riding, rough downhills, etc., all good. Inspires a lot of confidence, I've hit things on it this year (first full season on the bike) that I wasn't even thinking about in prior years. Not as cool as some of the smaller brands, I'll grant you that, but the geo definitely leans toward riding downhills fast.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Radical Rookie
    I heard a lot of bad reps for spesh, and had done massive research on all the good frames out there. BUT, things just came back full circle. Nothing beats the design of a X-wing frame for AM and Super Enduro rides for me. Since Canfield Brothers cost a bomb where I am, it was out of my consideration (they have an X-wing frame too). But I actually didn't have to look far, if not to satisfy and justify my choice. the Spesh Enduro frame is my definition of performance and looks. And yes, every time I descend with this rig, I find myself grinning a stupid grin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie nick View Post
    I heard a lot of bad reps for spesh, and had done massive research on all the good frames out there. BUT, things just came back full circle. Nothing beats the design of a X-wing frame for AM and Super Enduro rides for me. Since Canfield Brothers cost a bomb where I am, it was out of my consideration (they have an X-wing frame too). But I actually didn't have to look far, if not to satisfy and justify my choice. the Spesh Enduro frame is my definition of performance and looks. And yes, every time I descend with this rig, I find myself grinning a stupid grin.
    The descending on the Enduro has always been good. With the new one (ie 2013) the climbing is now better. So makes it a much more fun all round bike. Like a bigger, funner version of the SJ FSR EVO

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Whatever you do, don't test ride any of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrin View Post
    I'm going to get a new bike soon and there are a couple that I have in mind.
    Pivot Firebird, Ibis Mojo HD, and Santa Cruz Nomad. I have to say I'm leaning more towards the Firebird because I'm looking for an AM bike that is more on the DH side, also I can get a really good deal on the frame. If there are any other bikes that pedal and descends well I'll listen, keep in mind that I would like the rear travel to be 6 inch or longer and at least a 160 mm on the front. Thanks. I already have a 140mm trail bike.
    3 great bikes. You should take them all on a demo if you are able and see which one is best for you. I prefer the HD and Pivot due to the DW link, but you may like the VPP link better. You can also toss the Chili in there and the Enduro as well. CS is best with Ibis and Pivot and SC, not so much with Specialized, but it's one of those things where you're going to get a variety of different answers but the one you need to listen to the most is your own after riding each of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I demo'd all these bike and a few more.

I ended up going with the Claymore when I was choosing my AM bike. Mainly because I was getting a smokin' deal.

If it wasn't for the deal, I think I would have went with the Nomad. All the bikes were set up similar but the Nomad felt the lightest to me and fit my style of riding the best.

Before I demo'd any of them, the one I thought I wanted was the FB. After a couple of hours in the saddle on the FB it started to feel like work. I even demo'd it twice to make sure it wasn't me. It just did not seem to hide its weight very well. However the the FB was very stable and solid. Albeit a tad bit noisy.

The Ibis never felt plush enough for a 6" bike, for my taste anyways. Admittedly it's the bike I rode the least. I didn't spend a lot of time setting up the suspension so maybe that would of made a difference but it just didn't feel like the bike for me.

The Nomad was easy to set up(it had the current CTD). Felt very plush and stiff and pedaled really well. It felt like a XC bike but very solid at the same time.

Having said all that I couldn't pass up the deal on the Claymore. It felt the closest to the Nomad just not as responsive or as flickable but so smooth and quiet.

In the looks department the Ibis has em all beat, hands down. IMHO

Just my .02

Huffy Rider
    Well if we get to throw out other bike options besides the 3 the OP listed, the choice is very simple.....Canfield The One. Very versatile, very easy to pedal, feels like a DH bike on descents, and the customer service is outstanding. I love mine!

Big Test Icycles
    At this price point it really comes down to what feels best to you. I bought a FB last year on a great on line deal. No test ride other than throwing a leg over a bike in a parking lot. I did a ton of research and spoke to Pivot several times before the purchase. They answered every question and gave me some shock setting suggestions. Long story short I liked their CS, it pretty much sealed the deal.

I had the exact same experience with Knolly. They were top shelf to deal with only problem was the Chilli was not ready to go when I was. Call the brands you like and chat with them it may help you make your decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Carbon Nomad!!! Two years of riding and I still giggle everytime I ride it.

banned
    Sep 2012
    The firebird frame is being blown out for around $1500, which is a point in its favor. I assume Pivot is replacing it with a carbon version, hence the blowout pricing.

Sedona Arizona It's all here!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast