Thread: What is this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Smile What is this?

Here is the story, I found this in my father's bike spare parts box. He told me this comes with his 2012 remedy 9.8. The bike store don't know where to fit it, so just let it be.

I searched on internet, but lucky. So please, if anyone know what is this, please tell me. Thanks.

What is this?-img_20130717_230045-copy.jpgWhat is this?-img_20130717_230127-copy.jpgWhat is this?-screen-shot-2013-07-18-15.02.05.jpg

Trail Ninja
    I'm going to take a guess and say that it's a chainring protector for shipping purposes.

mtbr member
    its a basguard.
    bmx started using this type, basically people will always have the same foot facing forward so you attach the bashgard to the ring bolt to be down when you front foot is facing forward.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Before I thought it is a chain guide. but the size just way too small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    its a basguard.
    bmx started using this type, basically people will always have the same foot facing forward so you attach the bashgard to the ring bolt to be down when you front foot is facing forward.
    I just tested, it is not fit the ring bolt. The only place it will fit is ISCG, but will contact with smallest ring.

What is this?-img_20130718_225142.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I'm going to take a guess and say that it's a chainring protector for shipping purposes.
    This sort of makes sense, given that it only fits the ICSG tabs. Perhaps it was just to prevent any damage to the frame/chainrings during shipping and not actually get used, since you said it hits the granny gear? Is it "cheap" plastic or something more durable?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    This sort of makes sense, given that it only fits the ICSG tabs. Perhaps it was just to prevent any damage to the frame/chainrings during shipping and not actually get used, since you said it hits the granny gear? Is it "cheap" plastic or something more durable?
    It is not only hit but also smaller than the granny gear when fit to ISCG, maybe prevent the ring been bend from side while shipping?

From touch and sound, I guess it is made by aluminium-alloy.