Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    26er
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    I agree, those are in their own ways a crutch. If you can ride, you can ride rigid cantilever brake bikes with bad tires. Those things make riding easier, maybe thatís a crutch, and maybe it isnít. I think the distinction comes in that clipless doesn't actually provide any benefit to someone that is learning to jump; this makes it a crutch in my opinion. I am basing this whole discussion on learning to jump, as it was prominently featured in the OPís post. Watch the video, clipless pedals for the OP are a "crutch" holding back the ability to properly jump. The OP has decided that they are not ready yet to spend the time needed to refine the skills needed to keep their feet on the pedals while jumping. It's not the pedals that are keeping him from being able to jump it is clearly technique; that's a crutch.

But no disrespect meant to the OP, you are aware that you will need to work on it in the future and are willing to put the time in. In my opinion that is a fantastic way of going about this. Try telling someone with a broken leg that they're a ***** for using their crutches; a crutch is an aid until you are able to progress past the need to said crutch. Doesn't mean you need to ditch clipless pedals forever.
    I agree the original poster is using the clips to jump not actually jumping his bike. The best way to learn how to jump is to practice and ideally find a trail like an A-line or live wire that gives you lots of repetition. Jumping is a full body motion not just pulling up on your pedals.

5-10 shoes and decent pedals also would make a world of difference. Shin guards do help since those screws in a good flat pedals hurt a lot.

For those who feel trapped in clips I think you just need more practice. Both pedals have there place, but if you are trapped in clips then you obviously don't ride with them enough. Go do a ride with clips and unclip a 100 times do this for a month a couple times a week and you will unclip without even thinking.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Flats for most riders require at least two weeks of dedicated frequent use to get through the learning curve. It's a longer, harder learning curve than clips. Proper flat techniques will help every aspect of your game even if you decide to ride nothing but clips. Clips wont' hold you back on anything. I've always thought it a cop out when guys say I need flats to ride that. I prefer flats for everything, but I didn't start riding more advanced stuff because of them. They are just more fun IMO. Of course for dedicated DJ flats offer a big advantage, I'm really referring to general trail riding and DH.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm also gonna try flats after 20 years of riding clips. Just waiting for my LBS to finish up some work done on my rig. I'm hoping that my BMX skills from way back in the 80's will come back to me. I do remember though as a kid that I always had bloody shins from riding. I'm not looking forward to that part!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2