mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Weigh in - sag set up

When it come setting up your optimal All-Mountain sag, aren't you supposed to set your sag while wearing your riding gear and drinks bottle mounted/Camelbak? All of which add considerable weight to the bike?

In many suspension manuals I've read, there is never any mention whether you should be wearing your riding gear etc..

Thanks

mtbr member
    although i am a fairly new rider, i have been racing MX and setting up suspension for years, and the two are pretty similar. the reason you want to set up the suspension settings in a "geared up" fashion, is because that is the condition you will be riding the bike in. if you weigh in at 150 in street clothes, and 165 all geared up, the settings, and susp. reaction u used at 150 will be very different that what you will see with the extra weight on you.
    other factors may come in to play as well, like mud. the added weight of the mud will cause the bike to sag more. FWIW, i had a MX race in a typhoon, and started the race with 94mm of sag, because i knew the mud would throw it off. after the race was done, we measured it again, and it was 123mm. needless to say, the bike didnt want to steer with that much sag.

hardcore
    Jul 2010
    the sag must be set with the rider with riding gear. the fox manual say that quite clear

www.derbyrims.com
    Sag recommendations are a good starting point. Yes, gear up when setting up recommended sag.

Try more or less front and rear than recommended, and ride the different sag amounts to feel the differences. After finding the best feel of sag for your riding interests, then make note of the air pressure, or coil weight and preload, of the ride time personal sag preference. Also for social academic interests, measure and calculate sag to see how much it varies from recommended sag - it can be quite different than recommended. From notes, sag can be quickly reset to personal preferences quickly after servicing or other reasons for removing the air pressure or coil spring.