mtbr member
    Jul 2013

We all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.

From the Great White North here in Canada, Southern Ontario to be more specific. I am 22 years old and just getting into the sport. Just purchased my first real mountain bike. Its a Gary Fisher Kingifhsher 2. Took it out tonight for my first ride on the trails near my place. Was a 30km ride mostly on single track. Found a few cool bridges and jumps as well. I am in fairly good shape and I understand it will only get easier over time. Derailleurs need a little adjusting and the rotors need to be straightened a bit. First upgrade I already know will be the front forks.

I like to know things, I guess that's why I am here. I'm looking for help in identifying some parts on my bike. I would like to be able to build the next bike I purchase so getting all the information I can before then will make all the difference. I have a bunch of pictures and can always take more of the bike I have now. There is something on the bottom drive side of the crank. I think it is a chain guide along the bottom but I am not too sure. The chain is rubbing against it as I pedal. It could be bent, but since I don't even know what it is I am not too sure. Also any advice for adjusting the front derailleur when you have a shifter for 3 gears but only run 2 gears and a bash guard. I'm sure I will have a million more questions posted throughout the forums so thanks in advance for all the help.We all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00028_1510392.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00029_1717489.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00030_1443678.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00031_1474548.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00032_1603308.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00033_1495474.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00034_1347482.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00035_1259400.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00036_1467098.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00037_1400931.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00038_1073188.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00039_1796862.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00040_1698542.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00041_1785022.jpgWe all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.-cam00042_1643191.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    yup that's a chainguide/tensioner that your chain is riding on. it should have a spool or cog the chain rides on. as far as adjusting the front derailleur with a 3index shifter. you adjust the little screw ontop of your deraillerr that ususally has a little h next to it. as you screw it in in minimize how far out your derailler will go so the chain doesn't jump off. same with the little screw marked L. which limits from jump past the small ring. another ring used to be where the bash is mounted. the h limit screw should have been set to block the chain from trying to move up into the third ring which is no longer there. which in turn will no even allow you to shift to third any more on the shifter. so yes a 3 speed works just fine with the high limit screw set properly. the chain guide helps align and keep tension to the chain so it doesn't bounce of in rock gardens or when doing drop offs. can tell which hayes brakesyou have . they look like soles to me. i had a set, while the work i didn't think they were very powerful and they had a rep for fading on extended downhills. look like a freeride bike to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    watch a youtube video how to adjust a front derailleur. you want to block out the highest index. you have to set the endpoints based on the gears all to the left and all to the right so they don't rub on the front derailleur. takes practice.

mtbr member

Re: We all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.

The brakes look like hayes mags. Tthey used to be their top of the line dh brake back when they only made 2 different models.

I'd ride it till stuff breaks out wears out but a set of totems would go well I'd think. .. even some old marz 66's if you want to keep it 'period'

Edit: and ditch the rockstar sticker

usually cranky
    youtube is an awesome resource for learning basic bike maintenance.

DFMBA.org

We all start somewhere right? Well this is my beginning.

Also check out Park Tool's website. They have great instructionals and videos too. Oh, and their tools are top notch too.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I have been watching videos and reading and what not. I already tried adjusting the 'H' screw. Its screwed in as far as it can go. Do I need a bigger screw? Or should I adjust the cable? Or am I just a noob?

I also noticed that my rear brake is a lot more loose than my front. Tighten the cable to fix this? I'm pretty sure the front is hydraulic. Maybe get bigger rotors? And the stickers came on the bike when I got it.

usually cranky
    loose meaning what? spongey feeling? both brakes are hydro, rear could probably use a bleed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So I bought myself a bike stand. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to dial in everything. Got the derailleurs set up nicely, shifts a lot more fluently now and can no longer shift into my bash guard. The problem I face now is that the chain will not switch to the smallest cog on the cassette. It gets jammed between the cassette and the frame. Im thinking its missing some sort of spacer/washer maybe? And I will be bleeding the back brakes sometime this week. Just did the same to my car, can't be all that different but will be researching a bit before I start.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Nutley View Post
    So I bought myself a bike stand. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to dial in everything. Got the derailleurs set up nicely, shifts a lot more fluently now and can no longer shift into my bash guard. The problem I face now is that the chain will not switch to the smallest cog on the cassette. It gets jammed between the cassette and the frame. Im thinking its missing some sort of spacer/washer maybe? And I will be bleeding the back brakes sometime this week. Just did the same to my car, can't be all that different but will be researching a bit before I start.
    Set the limit screw. Check the park tools website for a tutorial. It sounds like it is allowing the chain to go too far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    When I try to switch the smallest gear; the chain gets lodged between the frame and next gear up, it doesn't fall off. So therefore something is either not on right or I am missing a space in there right? Im not sure how the limit screw would have anything to do with that.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Nutley View Post
    When I try to switch the smallest gear; the chain gets lodged between the frame and next gear up, it doesn't fall off. So therefore something is either not on right or I am missing a space in there right? Im not sure how the limit screw would have anything to do with that.
    How is it getting stuck between the frame and the second smallest gear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Vitamin Bike Added
    Try upgrading those tires, the bontragers are brutal and it will make a world of difference, even up there in the nice Ontario hard pack. As long as the frame will allow it go 2.25 or 2.3, looks like about 2.1 on there now.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    So for all the newbs buying used bikes get ready!!!

I was in the.same place dude it just takes time.. also know when to stop. Somtimes a bike.that doesnt shift.pefect is all you can get out of it with out replaceing cables and stuff.

Bring beer/pizza to the bike shop pay them some money and.sit behind.the counter and.ask questions