mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Wanted, Ideas for lighter wheels for my Roscoe II

It's a long travel XC bike, short of all mountain. I absolutely love the bike!!! I mainly ride it as a XC bike that wont hurt my 42 year old back. I'm pretty athletic and could do with a lighter set of wheels; the stock ones are pretty stout. I'm thinking the Easton EA 70 for the 15mm through axle, but I don't know much about them, only that the price is right. It looks like a lot of wheel for the money. I don't jump or race, but something more nimble would be nice.
    I'll take any info on a nice set of wheels that hits a bang for the buck equilibrium, leaning towards the light side.

thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I have a set of crank brothers cobalt 3's that i really like. they have an upgrade programe where you can get a set for around $600.

is your bike compatible with te 15mm through axle? and are you looking for a 26" or 29"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    how much rotating weight are you really gonna save? I could see if you had a cheap wheel set non sealed bearing upgraded to sealed and dropped a few hundred grams per rim. that bike was probably equipped with a 450 gram rim. most xc rims are 350. anything inbetween give takes strength or weight depending which way you go.
    maybe the overall weight will change a tad with new wheels because of lighter hubs also; but its effect on pedaling is negligible. you can save just as much by tire choice and tread design also. but then loss of traction. another place to look is race tubes weight 175g. standard tubes maybe 225g. going with no tubes with sealant weights 2oz/56g without rim strips. then add rim tape.

so lets say you go from to
    go from 450g rim to 400g tubeless rims = weight savings 50g
    go from 225g tube to no tubes with sealant 56g +tape= weight savings 125g

total rotational weight savings 175g per wheel. 325g total. about 3/4 of a lb.

what tires and what model are you running. how important is cornering grip. most all mountain tires are 750-1000 grams. xc tires can be in the 500g. thats over lb per tire from one end of the spectrum to the other.

I suppose the combined totals could make a difference but just depends how much grip and strength your willing to give up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've got 26" wheels with a 15mm thru-axle. I've thought about lighter tires as well for the rotating weight, right now I'm running Continental Mountain King 2.4 up front and a Jones in the back. They work well for the looser conditions I mostly ride, but are not light. lighter tubes is a great idea too. I'm by no stretch a weight weenie, my bike is about 30 lbs, and this would be the first upgrade that my 2009 bike has seen, save for tossing the stock tires that were worthless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thru axle really isn't gonna effect rolling resistance. The fork itself may weight a few hundred grams more. The other thing to consider is when you step to a lighter rim your probably gonna have to give up width. Your most likley on a internal 23mm rim and to shave weight you got to a 19mm which doest wear a 2.3 tire as well. It rounds the profile off. I would say if you switch just have two wheelsets. One faster lighter set. Maybe 19 rimset with race tires light casing and faster tread maybe tubeless. And keep your current set for more technical rides.

usually cranky
    look at sun chargers.