Thread: walki talki?

mtbr member

walki talki?

do you guys use walki talki during the long ride ? last time it took me 3 hours to walk downhill (had a crash, front tire damaged) there is no signal on my cell phone.. damn. any suggest ?

Who are you planning on talking to?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

TNC
    noMAD man

What do you mean, Bikin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Who are you planning on talking to?
    I talk to myself all the time when I'm riding alone.

Seriously though, if the OP is talking about summoning outside help with a personal radio, if cell phone coverage is not possible at a given location, it's doubtful you'll get anyone on one of these personal radios either. Of course the OP didn't qualify what kind of radio. I guess you could have some kind of super-duper satellite communication device, but we're talking some bucks and technology here. On the cell phone deal, I've been amazed at how you can get a service connection if you go to a high spot, even in the backcountry. I off ride dirt motor in many places in the U.S., and I've been way out in the sticks but often get reception many miles from any civilization at really high points along the way. Also for true emergencies involving injury or an impossible "walk--out" from a mechanical failure in the backcountry, there is the SPOT system. It's somewhat affordable, but it's really a true emergency system.

Just wondering even if he had some of those personal use walkie talkies, he'd have to have someone basically waiting to hear from him on a particular frequency, and of course within range (which isn't much). Cell phone probably would be a better bet, satellite phone a bit better but pricey. Don't know much about real radio transceivers but think again you'd have to have for the most part someone willing to wait to hear from you on the other end; while you could probably raise law enforcement or other emergency services, don't think they'd care too much about responding to some mountain biker without injuries trying to avoid some walking...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    If your talking a small personal radio, then you need to be within 10 miles if your lucky (that's if it's flat) to be able to use one of the small personal two-way radios. If the OP is talking about a professional radio to try and contact police, emergency, ect.... it's illegal to broadcast on those frequencies. I've worked quite a few adventure races over the years: the staff all have pro-radio's as do the racers (one per team). They are required to use them only in case of emergency. It's quite a process to go through to get the permission from the FCC, local authorities, ect.. just to use a frequency. Not only that but there also have to be repeaters set up, ect.... It's quite an extensive process and still not guarenteed to work. Not to mention that these pro radios aren't that small or light.

The long and the short of it is, if you are that concerned spend the money on a sat phone. Although just having a couple of people to ride with is fine with me if something ever happened.
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]