mtbr member

VP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?

Guys, I saw a thread in this forum where various posters talked about the VP-001 pedals from VP Components positively, and when I saw this Ebay listing selling them as "Downhill/DH Mountain Bike Pedals", I thought I was picking up a great match for my bike.

I ride a 2013 Karakoram 2.0 29er, and recently upgrade the fork, and took that and my 26" bike out to ride on Saturday. My 26" bike has had it's drive train completely upgraded, and the only part of the bike that I'd really like to upgrade on it at this point is the cheap, stock, small pedals that came with it, so I figured I'd put the VP pedals on my 29er and move it's pedals to the 26er.

Unfortunately, in reading around more about the pedals today, it's pretty clear that VP Components doesn't actually sell them as anything but urban pedals, and they do not seem to be durable when it comes to pedal strikes.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with VP Components pedals? The VP-001s specifically? I've written VP asking for help/clarification on whether the VP-001 are a bad match for my intended use, and tried to cancel my order, but it sounds like it's going out anyway.

Looking for first hand advice/experience from anyone who's owned VPs!

mtbr member
    I have a set and they are smaller than average. I used them on my Altitude 29er for a bit but upgraded to Blackspires. They do tend to bend easily due to pedal strikes as others have mentioned. They are fairly light at 354g however, they do not have bearings, just grease in the shafts. I find the Blackspires have much more bite than the VP-001s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    I have a set and they are smaller than average. I used them on my Altitude 29er for a bit but upgraded to Blackspires. They do tend to bend easily due to pedal strikes as others have mentioned. They are fairly light at 354g however, they do not have bearings, just grease in the shafts. I find the Blackspires have much more bite than the VP-001s.
    I don't know how much bite I'll need with the Five Tens I ordered that are showing up soon, or if I'll find the pedals too small as a size 11.

I heard good feedback to my PMs from the two mtbr users I asked, but I think they both picked up the pedals relatively recently, and I'm continuing to see comments and reviews like yours that say they're soft/weak when it comes to pedal strikes.

I wrote VP Components, and was pleased that I got a response, but instead of stating whether or not they'd me a match for my riding (and I was more detailed than the post above), I was just told, "if you dont think the VP-001 will work, return them to the seller if they accept returns." I was kind of hoping they'd either endorse their product or clarify that my riding is not the intended use.

Anyway, the pedals are on their way, despite ordering late Saturday night and cancelling my order on Sunday, so I am still not sure what I'll do when they arrive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    Anyway, the pedals are on their way, despite ordering late Saturday night and cancelling my order on Sunday, so I am still not sure what I'll do when they arrive.
    Just ride the crap out of them.

mtbr member
    The pedals showed up and they are beautiful. I like the orange and it goes very well with the orange accents on the bike.

The VP-001s:
    VP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_2453.jpg
    The pedals they're replacing on my 29er:VP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_2452.jpg
    And the 29er pedals are replacing these on my 26er:VP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_2455.jpg

They are not as big and likely not as durable as I would like, but lacking a clear yes or no from VP Components, I'm going to defer to sand wedge and:
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    Just ride the crap out of them.
    Here's how they compare to the pedals they're replacing size wise:
    VP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_2454.jpg

They look really nice, I'm hoping they hold up well. I will update this either way once I know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just ordered a set! I was gonna go with the orange on my Mamba to match the orange accents but I ditched the Mamba and went to a Scott Scale 940 so I went with the blue. Il have them next week so il chime back in and let ya know how I like them'

mtbr member

So far, so good

Definitely enjoying the pedals so far. I put them on when I got them, and pedaled down the driveway to make sure they were working right, and managed to hit a patch of ice on the driveway and completely wipe out, scratching up the left pedal. The weekend before last was too icy for the trails, but rode Saturday and had a few light pedal strikes that the pedals handled just fine:

VP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_2533.jpgVP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_2534.jpgVP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_2535.jpg

The stupid ice wipe out is just part of me learning to adapt to life in upstate New York, and should, hopefully, be a one-off. As for their use on the trails, they're grippy on my commute, but even better on the trails when I'm riding with my Five Tens, and I'm very happy with the weight, thin profile and look, wishing only that they were a small bit larger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    VP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-image.jpgVP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-image.jpgVP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-image.jpgGot my pedals the other day and only had time to ride once since but I like them so far! They look Awesome and my feet stay put! What else can you ask for from a pedal!

mtbr member

Three weekend rides so far this year

Upstate New York's winter never ended this year, so I have only been out to the trails three times so far this year. On my second trip out, my crank fell off, so I picked up and installed a new crankset.

While I was changing out the crankset, I figured I'd share how my VP-001 pedals have fared. They've only seen about 25 miles of trail riding and 25 miles of road riding since my last post:

VP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_4357.jpgVP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_4358.jpgVP Components Pedals and the VP-001 pedals specifically, good for single track?-img_4359.jpg

Still concerned about how they'll hold up when I hit some new trails this year that have rocks instead of just dirt, wood and roots... But if they hold up, I am very happy with the way they feel and grip.