Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

VooDoo Zobop or Santa Cruz Nickel?

APP w/ Float R

or

FPP w/ Monarch RT3

What say you? Experience with either? I parted ways with my 34lb 6" bike and I'm looking to replace with something lighter and w/in my budget. The build will be with a Revelation RLT Ti or a Fox RLC Talas 150, EX1750 wheelset with maybe a Sram x9 1x10...
    Last edited by eauxgod; 05-28-2012 at 02:09 AM.

b a n n e d
    Two things:

1. The Nickel is not VPP (though its very close).

2. The Nickel has been discontinued and will likely be going on closeout VERY soon . . . good deals WILL be had on that frame, for sure.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Two things:

1. The Nickel is not VPP (though its very close).

2. The Nickel has been discontinued and will likely be going on closeout VERY soon . . . good deals WILL be had on that frame, for sure.
    1) oops...typo
    2) knew that too...both are on sale and are the same price.

b a n n e d
    I don't know anything about VooDoo bikes, but I'm a fan of SC bikes and really liked the Nickel when I tested one out. Almost bought one actually until I stumbled upon a deal on a Blur.

mtbr member
    Cannot comment on that Voodoo - the ony ones I have ridden were hardtails. Which were very nice, but that is an aside.

The Nickel is a fantastic bike. If you are stuck between those two, I would go for the Nickel.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    waiting on my Nickel to arrive home so am not really objective
    but a thought: the Nickel isn't given for 150mm but a max of 140mm ... if that makes a difference for you.

banned
    Does the Fox RP23 make a big difference on the Nickel? I am 6'2" w/ a 34" inseam so I was leaning towards a XL, but Competitive is out of the XLs w/ the PR23...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I also looked at the voodoo. It probably pedals well with the mini link design. The nickel isa 125 mil bike and the zobop is closer to 150. There both rated at 68 degrees on the headtube angle but you need a 150 vs a 130 fork toget those angles on the zobop. The one thing that steered me away feom the zobop was bottombracket height. Its rated much higher than other bikes. 14.3 inches high. 13.5 is more standard for a 6 in bike. I like the cornering of a lower bb. If i rode alot of rock gardens with the need to pedal then i suppose i would like it. I just think i put more of a premium on cornering

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    the nickel will probably flow better as long as your trail isnt too rugged aggresive. if you see alot of rocks of drop i would go with the deeper 5.5 susp of the voodoo. the nickel will be really slack with a Rs 150 fork. it calls for a 130 forkso your lookin at 67 degrees with a 150

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    oh yah, neither of these frame are very light either. all mountain bikes usually come in at 30-35 lbs. any lighter means narrower wheels, smaller tires, or a bunch of carbon stuff that shatters after it gets dented. although rev fork and the float 32 are super light.

habitual line-stepper
    sounds like you should include the butcher in your comparison versus the nickel, if 150-160mm of travel is what you're after. unfortunately, the butcher will be suffering the same fate as the nickel:

Butcher and Nickel. The end?

my butcher with R AM kit, RP23, TALAS 160 and pedals weighs a touch under 31 lbs. it is a very fun and capable bike, good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    oh yah, neither of these frame are very light either. all mountain bikes usually come in at 30-35 lbs. any lighter means narrower wheels, smaller tires, or a bunch of carbon stuff that shatters after it gets dented. although rev fork and the float 32 are super light.
    wtf are you talking about? if i took the carbon off of my bike it would still be under 30lbs with 2.4 tires, coil shock and a dropper post with a 7# frame. money is the key, not carbon. fwiw, i'd urge you to try tomake carbon havens shatter. getting a bike under 30lbs isn't unreasonably hard or expensive. the lighter than 30 it goes, the more money it costs. generally.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

usually cranky
    havoc 35 carbons are probably the strongest bars in existence so...

b a n n e d
    I've got an AL Blur LT with 1 and only 1 piece of carbon (Easton Havoc bars) and not one bit of XTR anything and my bike is under 29 lbs with pedals. I'm running WTB Frequency i23 rims with CK hubs front and rear with Hope brakes so yeah . . . there's that.

Edit: Oh, and I'm running 2.3 tires.

My bike STOCK with the R kit was just a hair over 31lbs.

I will say, however, that the biggest thing against the Nickel is that it IS a heavy frame for what you are getting. A single pivot bike at almost 7 lbs. is a lot to start with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    wtf are you talking about? if i took the carbon off of my bike it would still be under 30lbs with 2.4 tires, coil shock and a dropper post with a 7# frame. money is the key, not carbon. fwiw, i'd urge you to try tomake carbon havens shatter. getting a bike under 30lbs isn't unreasonably hard or expensive. the lighter than 30 it goes, the more money it costs. generally.
    okidoki, sorry for my lack of knowledge. so how much would it cost to get my 34.8 lb diamondback mission under 30?
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-30-2012 at 06:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've got an AL Blur LT with 1 and only 1 piece of carbon (Easton Havoc bars) and not one bit of XTR anything and my bike is under 29 lbs with pedals. I'm running WTB Frequency i23 rims with CK hubs front and rear with Hope brakes so yeah . . . there's that.

Edit: Oh, and I'm running 2.3 tires.

My bike STOCK with the R kit was just a hair over 31lbs.

I will say, however, that the biggest thing against the Nickel is that it IS a heavy frame for what you are getting. A single pivot bike at almost 7 lbs. is a lot to start with.
    29 ? i said 30-35. wouldnt 29 virtually be 30?

GAME ON!
    okidoki, sorry for my lack of knowledge. so how much would it cost to get my 34.8 lb diamondback mission under 30? BTW im glad were not face to face if you were to WTF me in person for my ignorance.
    depends on what's on there currently. tires generally drop a lot for not too much. drop around 100g on a saddle for $70 or so. drop probably 100-150g on a set of pedals for $100. another 100g with carbon bars for $100. swap forks and maybe break even for another lb. if it's worth it, it's worth it. if not, then your bike is 35lbs.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    too shave 5 lbs we're talkin 450 grams per pound. that a total of 2250 grams. i know right off the bat new wheels i could shave 700g. mine are 2500gramish. 1800 grams for some flows. 500 bucks. 1.55 lbs weight savings. new weight 33.25.

my tires are 750g and 850g for 2.3's. i wouldnt want to go smaller than 2.3. i dont think i can shave much there. i want a dropper so i would probably add back a full lb.

my current fork is 4.5lb or 2025g. i could probably shave 3/4lb with a fox 32 or rev dual air. new total weight with fork and wheels 32.5. where to go from here that would make a real world difference i dont know. i could go to the bathroom and shave another 200 grams.

the wheels i know i want to do for sure. because thats rolling weight. and there nothing i can do about a 8lb large frame with shock.

what about cranksets? mine are rated at 715g.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    sorry about the face to face comment i tryed to edit that. i was a little sensitve when i got home today and popped on the computer.

GAME ON!
    715 is not bad. older xtr would shave another half pound. could easily drop 100g off of one tire. or both if you wanted to. realistically, a good deal on some haven mag wheels would take you down to 1550-1650 g. i don't think they are much more than $500 used. the frame is a hog.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    the reason i said what i did about carbon is a kid at the local bike shop had an answer scythe bmx race fork. he noticed a splinter on the right leg of his fork. next thing he new it looked like the right leg exploded. it was herrendous looking. he said it happened fast. combine that with some other stories; i wouldnt want to imagine a carbon frame, handlbar, stem, or even cranks just exploding like that when coming into a hard hitting rock garden or drop off doing 20 plus.

b a n n e d
    the reason i said what i did about carbon is a kid at the local bike shop had an answer scythe bmx race fork. he noticed a splinter on the right leg of his fork. next thing he new it looked like the right leg exploded. it was herrendous looking. he said it happened fast. combine that with some other stories; i wouldnt want to imagine a carbon frame, handlbar, stem, or even cranks just exploding like that when coming into a hard hitting rock garden or drop off doing 20 plus.
    Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike

End of carbon debate. Period.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    very neat video. made me cringe. point taken, but i was talking about flawed carbon. once the fiber is comprimised, dented splintered.

the weight test is interesting. funny thing is i could probably punch somthing with nearly 1000lbs of force per square inch. momentum builds force very quickly.
    in the second test there werent really using that much weight. 40lbs? from 3 ft away? that set up accomplished the same as the 2000lb static test.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    You could take the Zobop, and ditch the rear shock for a Monarch RT3 in the 7.25 x 1.75 i2i and stroke. Would drop the travel to a touch under 5", but also drop the BB height, shorten the stays up a bit, and slacken the HTA a bit as well... At least that would "fix" the things I don't quite like about the frame.

Stick a decent 140-150mm fork on there and let it rip. Hell, I'm tempted to try just this, as the rear shock on my Trance-X could fit...and the rest of my parts would swap right over nicely. And even though I'd have to use a BB mount adapter to run a chainguide, it would still be easier than dealing with getting a guide to work with the Trance-X press fit BB/no guide tab deal.

Sure, it may not be the lightest bike out there, but should be sufficiently stiff and tough enough. Looks like it out to pedal decently, from the few reviews I've read out there. All bearing setup at the pivots. Not "boutique" by any stretch, but if it rides well and meets budget requirements, who the hell cares? Sinke the dough saved on the frame into lighter other bits.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    oops just re watched the video. 105 lbs. i didnt calculate the contraptions weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast