mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Vinyl Wrapping Carbon Bike

Is it worth having a carbon bike vinyl wrapped? I just ordered the carbon mach 6 and am undecided if I should have LBS vinyl wrap it. What are the pros and cons?

Any feedback would be great! See you on the trails
    A spotless bike is a bored bike.

mtbr member
    I used Shelter Tape in critical spots where the frame might see an impact for my M6. It's much more protective than a thin vinyl tape. I did use thinner tape where I was just worried about abrasion like top of the top tube and where cables touched the frame.

I'd do the same with my next carbon bike. The Shelter Tape worked well and lasted 4yrs without any issue when I got rid of the bike. It should last the life of the frame.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I used Shelter Tape ....
    Wow nice stuff. At $80 5m I can see why I passed it.

I have 3 good dings in my frame where helicopter tape really didn't do much. 2 are that jagged edge type ding where the shelter tape may not prevent but one is a solid impact ding on a corner where maybe it would have made it less deep.

As vik pointed out, what are you trying to accomplish? impact or cosmetic scratch protection.

Industry standard now days looks like solid rubber or plastic protection on the down tube/bb for rocks and tailgate protection, mastic tape on the chainstay and clear heli tape everywhere else.

How much does it cost to vinyl wrap a bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post

As vik pointed out, what are you trying to accomplish? impact or cosmetic scratch protection.

Industry standard now days looks like solid rubber or plastic protection on the down tube/bb for rocks and tailgate protection, mastic tape on the chainstay and clear heli tape everywhere else.

How much does it cost to vinyl wrap a bike?
    I decided not to have it wrapped. I wanted to protect the paint from chipping and from scratches. A scratch here and there wouldn't bother me.If it were excessive that's a different story. I've been riding for 10 years on the same 2009 reign 1 and there are some paint damage but nothing that bothers me. As far as impact, I don't think vinyl wrap can protect it from impact. Isn't vinyl wrap meant for cosmetics only and adding decal?

If I were to have the bike shop do it, the labor is $400. $400 I'm not willing to dish out. I'm just thankful I can even afford the carbon Mach 6 at this time. I got the XT complete bike BTW.
    A spotless bike is a bored bike.

mtbr member
    I've never had a bike professionally wrapped, but I have used Invisiframe. Have it on a carbon TB2 frame. It's easy to apply, looks professional, and does add a degree of protection.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I DIY installed 3m Pro Series PPF clear protective tape (matte finish) on my black Firebird frame. It has self healing properties, and was very worthwhile since there are plenty of scuffs that are obvious and would have marked the frame for sure. I plan on selling it in a few years for a newer model and this will help resale a lot.
    Last edited by ButtersNZ; 02-12-2018 at 03:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacing08 View Post
    I decided not to have it wrapped. I wanted to protect the paint from chipping and from scratches. A scratch here and there wouldn't bother me.If it were excessive that's a different story. I've been riding for 10 years on the same 2009 reign 1 and there are some paint damage but nothing that bothers me. As far as impact, I don't think vinyl wrap can protect it from impact. Isn't vinyl wrap meant for cosmetics only and adding decal?

If I were to have the bike shop do it, the labor is $400. $400 I'm not willing to dish out. I'm just thankful I can even afford the carbon Mach 6 at this time. I got the XT complete bike BTW.
    $400 is a lot. But from experience it takes about three hours to wrap a frame with Invisiframe to make it look right. I've done two with it. I've had previous experience with vinyl application so I would imagine it would take someone with no experience quite a bit longer. It does help though.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post

I have 3 good dings in my frame where helicopter tape really didn't do much.
    "Helicopter Tape' is available in multiple thickness. I have seen the thin stuff at 4 mil., but I use the 8 and 14 mil.

I have never purchased a pre-cut like InvisiFrame, but I did install a set for a friend. Nice and easy, but more expensive than buying helicopter tape from a dollar/per bike perspective. A roll of helicopter tape can easily do 3 or 4 complete bikes, prolly more. There is a learning curve on learning to cut tape to correctly and smoothly apply to convex and concave curves. I found it to be a somewhat intuitive task that went much better than expected from my very first endeavor. After having done 6 frames now, I can complete a frame in one long evening.

I saw a bike several weeks ago that had been professionally Vinyl Wrapped and it looked great, but the vinyl was super thin and offered no protection from significant dings. The owner thought he was getting solid frame protection when he really got nothing more than a cosmetic make-over. He was very disappointed in the protection it afforded.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    I used clear vinyl carpet protector attached with 3M indoor/outdoor clear mounting tape. It's almost invisible (a few air bubbles) and about 3mm thick. After the next rock gets thrown into the down tube I'll see if it actually works.
    Almost = Didn't