Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ventana "El Habanero"...XC bike used like DH bike!!

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kameraguy 
#1 ·
Let me give a little background.

I used to ride a hardtail a long time ago. Well back in 97'. I like going fast and shuttling was my favorite thing to do. I also liked dirt jumping.

I always wanted a FS bike to accomodate my desire to go fast down single tracks but never had the money. I sold my bike back in 1999 and didn't ride until yesterday.

I scored a Ventana El habanero from a buddy who was no longer using it. Full set up for 800.00. It is an XC FS bike. I had no idea what was Freeride, All mountain, and Downhill was. Right when I bought it I went and put some downhill bars on it. I took it out to some popular downhill spot yesterday and had a blast bombing a single track for the first time on a FS bike. Mind you, I am following my buddy who is on his Versus Trigger who is handling the trail like nothing. I have to admit that I was not scared to try to keep up with him on my XC bike. It was sketchy because I am using this XC bike like a all mountain or freeride bike. I am not a big guy so breaking sh*t will probably not be a problem.

I paid him 500 for everything except the forks and the headset, but he is letting me use those until I find something else or decide to keep them. The forks are Rock Shox SID's and the headset is a Chris King headset. He wants 300 more for those parts.

I need some advice.

~use what i got for now a keep those parts and give him the 300?
~Get some new parts? if I get some new parts, I want some good shocks for the style of riding that I like, going fast downhill. What should I look for, maybe I can use what I buy for another all mountain bike late down the road.
~Save my money and buy a new All Mountain Bike that is bad ass? Which ones?
~Save my money and buy a Santa Cruz bullit for 950?

See less See more
#6 ·
Sick!! Right on. I just might build up my DJ frame for this use too. I should have enough parts to create a frankenstein mash-up of a beater bike :p

And remember that Ventana has a sweet trade-in as mentioned. So you are good to go if you stay with Ventana....they still make some of the best bikes in the industry.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.