mtbr member
    Apr 2008

... and if we just ... Valentine's Day - Auburn Ride

My friend and I went for a ride today, which most people thought was a bad idea. It turned out to be one of my favorite times riding these trails. We rode our long "shuttle". If you are familiar with Auburn, we ride the whole Foresthill Divide Loop, then down the Connector Trail, then down Culvert to the confluence and drove back to the bottom of Foresthill Divide. (17 mile ride)

We started out ride around 7:30am, it was about 35 degrees out, and a little snow at the start (not the highest elevation) and we got done around 11am. We hit quite a bit of snow at the top, which was fun to ride through, and I was the only one to go down. I was going around a corner and my bike went straight, and I went around the corner, lol. Just jumped off and landed on my feet.

It was pretty muddy but not much slipping on the climbs or anything so it wasn't too bad. The worst was the mud coming off the front tire and going in our eyes. Next time I'll rig up a old tube on my fork to keep most of it from flying.

It was nice not having to worry about people (v-day, cold, wet, and Tour of California probably led to this). We only passed 3 hikers, and no bikes so we were able to go pretty fast on the downhills and go flying through the low lying trees covered in snow (lots of fun! ok not really).

Of course, here are some pictures (taken with phone). Mostly of the trail:

Creek that we had to cross:

Open field along the ride:

Another picture, facing the other way:

Friend riding:

Picture of the trail covered in snow:

And my clothes after the ride:

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    [SIZE="5"]You Laid Those Filthy Things On The Rug!? [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    lol. The rug is outside, mainly so we don't have to walk on the concrete with bare feet.

You can see how dirty it already is, with the leaves and stuff next to the shirt lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Looks amazing. I've still only ridden in southern California and Arizona so I don't know what riding in the snow is like... or the forest Unfortunately I'm stuck at work today but tomorrow I ride!! Maybe I'll take your cue and actually take pictures for once.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wow, dude, you scared your self THAT bad???

nice ride