mtbr member

Uzzi vs Firebird

Looking to build up a new all in one bike. These two frames have caught my eye, but I am also considering the Mojo HD. I would be building the bike up on the lightish side so it could be more pedal friendly, but want to be able to take it straight to the bike park as well.

Current ride: Mojo SL with heavy duty build for AM riding.

Riding: New England Trail/AM during the week with some bike park stuff on the weekends. Not a ton of vert where I ride but a bunch of short ups and downs with a few trails that have some serious jumps and drops. Everything is rocky and rooted.

Huffy Rider
    I have ridden the HD and the Firebird. If climbing is a little more important, the HD wins.....if descending is more important, the Firebird wins. The HD feels lighter and easier to accelerate when climbing and the Firebird feel like a mini DH when going downhill. They both pedal extremely well but with me being smaller and female the Firebird felt heavy and sluggish but it still plowed thru everything. I felt like it would really wear me out if it was my daily pedal bike. It was amazing on the downs!!! They will both handle rocks and roots like a champ. No experience on the Uzzi, good luck

Brenda

mtbr member
    I will say that the HD will handle anything you can throw at it. My recommendation would be to have two forks, a 180 for the park and 160 for AM. Once you get it your SL will become very lonely...

Uzzi is a true park bike. Awesome if that is all you are going to use it for, but not much fun going up. No experience with the Firebird.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had the same dilemma few years back, I bought the uzzi because I go to northstar in a regular bases, if I have to do this again I would choose the pivot because is more uphill friendly. I love my uzzi but when I have to climb is a pain in the a..... I friend has the pivot build up for down hill/ trail bike and he is really happy. The good thing about my uzzi was I *****ed a lot to my wife so she allowed me to get a second bike.

If the new bike is going to be the only one go with the pivot or HD.

T.W.O.
    Another vote for the HD, before I bought my HD I've considered the firebird and it's a great bike you can do Hammerschmidt too which will come in handy for clearance and tech climb. If you do more "park" stuff Uzzi would rule just don't plan on spending a lot of climbing hour on that rig.

wuss
    I have an Uzzi and use it a lot for trail riding... I'm sure the build will effect the outcome a lot, but as is I don't have problems climbing (though it's mainly technical shorter climbs here). I like the adjustable dropouts, steeper settings and shorter shock travel work well on trails, slack setting is nice at resorts. I also have a heavier wheelset (deemaxes) for resort use. While the Uzzi IMO works well on trails, it does seem to really come alive when the trail points down and speeds are higher then I would have dared go on my previous bikes. Still, the main times I remember I'm riding such a long travel bike is when the ride is several hours and others have xc bikes. I think Uzzis are built very differently, I would not want to climb one with a totem, dual ply tires etc.

I tried a HD briefly which had similar, but slightly lighter build. The first thing I noticed was how much smaller it felt, despite both being size L. I'd definately need an XL, but then that could be too big (so one could easily be a better fit). The suspension felt tighter on the HD, more like a long travel trailbike while the Uzzi is a bit of a couch (but I did not touch the HD settings). I felt it was a nice bike, actually it would probably fit most of the trails I ride better then the Uzzi.

I see quite a lot of firebirds around, and everyone seems to love theirs. The builds are similar to what I have on the Uzzi, and I've always considered them to be of similar caliper. Never heard anyone complain while climing and those guys are usually at the bottim first while descending... But I never tried one.

I'd base my decision on fit, feel, suitability for your trails and how good the dealer is.

mtbr member
    Love my firebird and wouldnt trade it for anything. It can be built to sub 30lbs or you can take the route I went, build it a bit more aggressive and have a 180mm 32lb bike that will get you to the top without a fuss and kill it on the descents. Pivot ftw.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'd throw a vote towards the Firebird, or at least trying to get a ride on one before you lay down the money.

I bought mine 12 months ago and was also deciding between the bird and the uzzi, in the end I got a deal on a bird that made it close to half the price of the uzzi, perhaps not the best way to decide if you have limitless pockets.

The bird is a true do it all bike, it descends really nice and jump well, climbs long fireroad grinders ok, but climbs short technical climbs really well (I have a slightly robust build), overall a very fun bike.

No regrets or inclination to upgrade from the bird - But I would like to spend some time on an uzzi and nomad of comparable build.