moe.
    Sep 2005

Using your Uzzi as a trail bike?

I sold my Stumpy FSR 120 so I resorted to using my Intense Uzzi VPX for some cross-country riding this last weekend. Even though it weighs about 34 lbs. I actual found myself having a lot of fun on it. I climbed about 3000 feet of fire road before wandering off to some sweet single track. I was blown away with how well it climbed over technical terrain as it seemed to track beautifully. I sold the Stumpy because I have gotten the 29er fever and I am having a 29er soft tail being built. Even though I have the Intense primarily for chairlift riding, I really enjoyed it on the XC stuff. Today when I was out on my single speed hardtail I missed the plushness of the Uzzi.

Has anyone had a similar experience on their free ride bike? I have 36 Talas RLC on the Uzzi so I am able to change head tube angle.
    Last edited by mtntrance; 04-24-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005
    I use my VPX as a trailbike, too. I have a 66 SL up front, and I take it down to 150 mm for trail use. I'm worried that I'd break any lighter bikes...

thats right living legend
    I remember a big thread or two over on the Intense board, all about guy's using thier Uzzi as a trail bike.

mtbr member
    I'm with you. Who cares if it's a little heavier when yer having double the fun. That's what it's really all about anyway.

Just roll it......

Weight is all in the eye of the beholder.

The reason I say that is my 4" "XC" bike is 34 lbs., my 6" "AM" bike is 39 lbs. and my 8.7" DH bike is 43 lbs. and I ride all 3 bikes on a lot of the same trails. I'm not saying this to impress anyone nor show that I'm an idiot for pushing a bunch of weight uphill / riding my xc bike down something ultra steep. Sure, my XC bike climbs better and descends fine, but sometimes, I'm willing to give up some speed on the ascent for more cush on the downs. It also depends on who I'm riding with and what the mentaility will be for that ride. If it's a faster paced ride, I know to bring my XC bike. If we'll be sessioning more stuff, the AM bike comes out.

My DH bike is the only bike that's running right now and I've been taking it on all of my rides for the past couple of weeks. No biggie really......drop it in granny (I run a 2 ring setup), raise the saddle and spin away. The extra weight is noticeable at the end of the ride, but I've got to get into better shape for the big rides this summer anyway. It doesn't hurt that my DH bike is new and I've got serious new bike love going on..... Also, my buddies aren't racers and whoever gets to the top and bottom first doesn't matter at all - which, it seems, often plays more into a person's bike choice than a lot of other factors.

Cheers,
    EB

whatever she says gueuze.

Ditto

I use to ride a 31 lbs AM bike (uzzi sl) and a 38 lbs DH/FR bike (Ells. Dare) and found myself using the Dare for almost everything. So I decided that I really didn't need 2 bikes. I now ride a VPX (34 lbs) with a Van36 and some carbon XC parts. This is my AM climbing, descending do-it-all bike and it's pretty amazing. Awhile back, I was itching to get a 6.6 to save weight but after reading the intense boards, most 6.6's built up was around 31-32 lbs. Not much of a weight difference and I get almost 8" of travel with the VPX.