Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,000

    Used pike or new x-fusion?

    Used pike or new x-fusion trace/ sweep? Any opinions from anyone has ridden both.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 02-06-2018 at 03:33 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Junersun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,658
    X fusion is a great economical choice! I would say xfusion gets overwhelmed with fast repeated hits.

    Pike is very Cadillac fork but for me I did not enjoy the pike because I blew through the travel a lot. Luftkappe helps a little there.

    How tool savvy are you? I would pick up a used dvo diamond and then order the seal kit from them and do a damper service and get it like new!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

    2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    i was looking to replace the 32mm solo air revelation rl. Not so much for flex although it isnt very stiff, but rather because compliance felt harsh. I had the psi set with 22 percent sag and after a good, hard ride, i just bottom it out. thats how i set psi. I talk to Rockshox and he asked if i had tryed adding tokens to let out some air pressure. MY GOD DUHH!!!!!

    I just went and got some from jenson tonight and with the addition of only one more token seemed to be able to have dropped the psi from 95psi to 80 psi to get right around the same sag.

    I was extremely surprised i could drop almost 15 psi and have a similar sag. i going to give that a try in the morning. I curious to see how it works. i might have to keep playing with psi and tokens and see if can get it where i want it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    X fusion is a great economical choice! I would say xfusion gets overwhelmed with fast repeated hits.

    Pike is very Cadillac fork but for me I did not enjoy the pike because I blew through the travel a lot. Luftkappe helps a little there.

    How tool savvy are you? I would pick up a used dvo diamond and then order the seal kit from them and do a damper service and get it like new!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i think im going to hold off and possibly get a nicer fork later. Dvo was on my radar. see if playing with tokens and psi would help for now.

    which x-fusion damper did you have? rl2,rcp or hlr? i was looking hlr .....while there is no patform lever it does have high and low to dial in. I also talk to x-fusion today and asked if i could ad oil to the air chamber to act as volume spacer to adjust spring rate, being they dont have and equalization type negative spring.... he said of course you can. so i imagine with lightening the high speed, letting out a little rebound, dialing low speed support combined with playing with extra oil as a volume spacer to play with psi, I could get that baby dialed buttery and reactive. but again Im holdin off,,,gooin to play with tokens and psi for now and see if i can buy time with the rev.

    i even almost resorted to upgrading the rl damper to rct3 to gain low speed control and drop the oil viscosity to lighten high speed compression, which would void warranty but dont care to give it more compliance. then add back some support by closing up some low speed. The dynamics may or may not have worked. But then the guy at rockshox while getting part numbers mentioned dropping psi and adding tokens and i felt so stupid i hadnt started there to soften the top up. might have to let out 1 click of rebound also with the drop in psi.

  5. #5
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,005
    Your experience is with which damper, the RL2 or the RC HLR? My experience with just the normal Trace RL2 model was superb compared to most any other fork, not sure how it compares to the forks of the last year or two since there's 'sposed to have been some improvements in them. I love how my Trace doesn't blow through that mid travel so easily and how it's so easily adjustable if I want to adjust/change travel, just move a push pin or use an old Fox travel spacer and snap it on the shaft. My Trace is 4 years old now and looking to order a RC HLR damper top drop in, only thing I'd like more than that is to be able to afford a McQueen RC HLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    X fusion is a great economical choice! I would say xfusion gets overwhelmed with fast repeated hits.

    Pike is very Cadillac fork but for me I did not enjoy the pike because I blew through the travel a lot. Luftkappe helps a little there.

    How tool savvy are you? I would pick up a used dvo diamond and then order the seal kit from them and do a damper service and get it like new!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Junersun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Your experience is with which damper, the RL2 or the RC HLR? My experience with just the normal Trace RL2 model was superb compared to most any other fork, not sure how it compares to the forks of the last year or two since there's 'sposed to have been some improvements in them. I love how my Trace doesn't blow through that mid travel so easily and how it's so easily adjustable if I want to adjust/change travel, just move a push pin or use an old Fox travel spacer and snap it on the shaft. My Trace is 4 years old now and looking to order a RC HLR damper top drop in, only thing I'd like more than that is to be able to afford a McQueen RC HLR.
    Mine was a rc2. Guess I couldn't get it to my liking. For the price though it's hard to look away. And my experience with customer service was also good!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

    2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    i think im going to hold off and possibly get a nicer fork later. Dvo was on my radar. see if playing with tokens and psi would help for now.

    which x-fusion damper did you have? rl2,rcp or hlr? i was looking hlr .....while there is no patform lever it does have high and low to dial in. I also talk to x-fusion today and asked if i could ad oil to the air chamber to act as volume spacer to adjust spring rate, being they dont have and equalization type negative spring.... he said of course you can. so i imagine with lightening the high speed, letting out a little rebound, dialing low speed support combined with playing with extra oil as a volume spacer to play with psi, I could get that baby dialed buttery and reactive. but again Im holdin off,,,gooin to play with tokens and psi for now and see if i can buy time with the rev.

    i even almost resorted to upgrading the rl damper to rct3 to gain low speed control and drop the oil viscosity to lighten high speed compression, which would void warranty but dont care to give it more compliance. then add back some support by closing up some low speed. The dynamics may or may not have worked. But then the guy at rockshox while getting part numbers mentioned dropping psi and adding tokens and i felt so stupid i hadnt started there to soften the top up. might have to let out 1 click of rebound also with the drop in psi.
    I'm not sure what the price of a new X-Fusion is these days but if your looking at DVO you should shoot DirtMerchant Bicycles an email. Last I heard they had DVO Diamonds listed for $700. Just something to think about!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,581
    I would go HLR for the independent adjustments. You'll be able to find your sweet spot better than with the Pike's preset adjustments that can't offer the same range as fully independent. I have a Metric so I can't speak to the HLR forks you're looking at but I can say I've never needed to change the air chamber with tokens like RS forks. My HLR ramps nicely even with open compression. When I want more mid/end stroke support adding lots of high speed compression doesn't adversly effect top end. It's not easy to reduce "cross talk" between settings but X fusion has done that well. If you do want to add progression jus add a little more oil on top of the air piston. My HLR damper has proven to be durable and one hell of a performer. You can dial out fork dive without killing top end feel, and dial in bottom without harsh mid stoke. When you pull an HLR fork apart you'll wonder why they are cheaper. I would opt for any HLR fork over anything on the market at any price to be honest with you. The fact that they are cheaper makes them a no brainer for me.

    Name recognition is a big factor. They likely make more money from low end OEM contracts than selling top tier stuff to guys like me, but that has made people associate their name with low end take off parts people throw to eBay. Those that have overlooked that know how good their HLR/roughcut forks are.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I would go HLR for the independent adjustments. You'll be able to find your sweet spot better than with the Pike's preset adjustments that can't offer the same range as fully independent. I have a Metric so I can't speak to the HLR forks you're looking at but I can say I've never needed to change the air chamber with tokens like RS forks. My HLR ramps nicely even with open compression. When I want more mid/end stroke support adding lots of high speed compression doesn't adversly effect top end. It's not easy to reduce "cross talk" between settings but X fusion has done that well. If you do want to add progression jus add a little more oil on top of the air piston. My HLR damper has proven to be durable and one hell of a performer. You can dial out fork dive without killing top end feel, and dial in bottom without harsh mid stoke. When you pull an HLR fork apart you'll wonder why they are cheaper. I would opt for any HLR fork over anything on the market at any price to be honest with you. The fact that they are cheaper makes them a no brainer for me.

    Name recognition is a big factor. They likely make more money from low end OEM contracts than selling top tier stuff to guys like me, but that has made people associate their name with low end take off parts people throw to eBay. Those that have overlooked that know how good their HLR/roughcut forks are.
    that's much what I was thinking. Ctd RCT3 rlt seem to be a one-size-fits-all idea. It does simplify things for those that aren't so particular. But when you factor in each Rider is a different weight it's going to make the Dynamics of the dampers and air springs all behave differently so I like that x-fusion stepped up to the HLR. It's almost as if cane Creek set a new mark in full adjustabilty with their double barrel. I noticed the real high high-end shocks all are bringing back full adjustability to some extent. The pike really was a game-changer in that they were able to lighten the chassis especially for 35 mil and get a fork that was so Supple but didn't dive.. the engineer tuner heads got that right and it kind of changed the whole market and made everybody else have to step up their game.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Update: i added one token last night and went with 7 psi less to be safe today. Helped a little on compliance and I ran a hot lap. Actually PR'd I also noticed the o ring had not gotten so close to bottom out. 1/2 in to spare so tokens do work in that concern. Im dropping the psi 5 more tommorow to see. Later on i will add another token/ total of 3 and drop the psi again for curiosity sake.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,504
    Run an X-Fusion Trace (non rough cut) @140mm on my 29er AM HT...

    Great set & forget fork ^^

    The crown is narrower, for mind - than an old 29" RS Sektor I use to own.

    Running a mudguard + a 2.35 Hans Dampf & thing get a little tight.

    That's the only real nit-pick.

    'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    I guess the new stuff I don't know starting what year has a one-piece steer crown that some other Forks can have issues with creaking later on and it's supposed to be significantly stiffer. I had a basic velvet rl2 no adjustments just the factory settings and it was decent. I liked it was plush it did its job.. but ever since I owned an older fox rc2 damper and tweaked the oil viscosity which i sold with my old bike...I was just totally let down with this Factory Revelation RL. My xfusion velvet rl2 was plusher. I think X Fusion puts a better basic tune on there bottom end dampers atleast for me. I'm still caught if I'm going to go dvo or Trace hlr or pike. The hlr might take some time to get everything set up right but I think in the end once I got it right it's going to be worth it. The other thing I wonder is the rapid recovery that RockShox does the real deal or just marketing jargon. Some really really fast guys that live in my town said the dvo is pretty bomb once you get it set up. Option to make me crazy.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Well I went to three tokens and drop the PSI from 92 to 72 and I think I'm happier. Makes the first half of the travel more Supple with a whole lot of bottom resistance. I think I'm going to just run with this for a while

Similar Threads

  1. Air fork upgrade options (budget/value)?
    By zer0sum in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 05:11 PM
  2. Opinions From the big Boys on PF30 BB's
    By Mojo Man in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM
  3. Replies: 70
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 11:57 AM
  4. Any Big Boys Running A Carbon Fiber Fork?
    By Moonshine in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 04:04 AM
  5. Any big boys riding Crank Bros Iodine rims?
    By madsedan in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 01:34 AM

Members who have read this thread: 90

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.