mtbr member
    May 2018

Used full suspension vs new hardtail

Hello all!

I am wanting make the jump from casual trail riding/xc to get into trail/enduro riding. I am currently looking at two bikes. At my LBS they have a new 2018 Rocky Mountain Growler 20 for $879. It comes with a 1x drivetrain and plus sized tires. It also has routing for a stealth dropper post. I was browsing around craigslist today and came across a used 2012 Giant Trance X2 in great condition for $700. It has full fox suspension and great components. It is an older bike, but would it be a better choice than the Rocky Mountain?

Out spokin'
    You say you want to get into trail/enduro riding? Get the RM Growler.
    Why? Two reasons.
    1) It has trail/enduro geometry (specifically a longer top tube and slacker head angle).
    2) Every rider should own a hardtail. I love my FS bike but I'll never give up my hardtail. It's like having a spoon before you get a fork.

All kidding aside, the Rocky Mountain is up to date on geometry and second only to good fit, modern geometry makes today's bikes perform better than everything that's come before.
    =sParty

P.S. That's not to say the Trance isn't a good deal. It sounds like it is. But it's not a trail/enduro bike -- it's an XC bike.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thank you for your reply and input! I do love the look and feel of the aggressive geometry on the Growler. The plus sized tires also feel nice. Isnít the Trance one of Giantís trail oriented bikes? I thought the Anthem was their XC bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The Trance is a Trail bike... doesn't quite seem like an XC bike to me. The Anthem is their XC bike.

The Trance is a great bike. I agree with the everyone should own a hardtail thing... but if trail/enduro riding is your goal get the Trance. You'll be very bothered when all of your buddies blow away from you in chunder. Ledge drops and whatnot are no problem on a hardtail, but there isn't really a good way to keep up while blasting through a rock garden.

That being said 2012 is way older than I would be looking at. Olllld geo, worn out parts. Brand new they are like what, 2600? You could find a quality used one for 1500. I wouldn't go more than 2 years old personally. They updated to a trunion mount shock last year, so the year before that should have lots of good deals in the used market.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMVT2 View Post
    Thank you for your reply and input! I do love the look and feel of the aggressive geometry on the Growler. The plus sized tires also feel nice. Isnít the Trance one of Giantís trail oriented bikes? I thought the Anthem was their XC bike.
    No doubt the Trance has changed since 2012. Back then the HA was 69.5* compared to the current Growler's 67*. Top tube lengths are 24" for the large 2012 Trance and 24.8" for the large Growler.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Hello all!

I am wanting make the jump from casual trail riding/xc to get into trail/enduro riding. I am currently looking at two bikes. At my LBS they have a new 2018 Rocky Mountain Growler 20 for $879. It comes with a 1x drivetrain and plus sized tires. It also has routing for a stealth dropper post. I was browsing around craigslist today and came across a used 2012 Giant Trance X2 in great condition for $700. It has full fox suspension and great components. It is an older bike, but would it be a better choice than the Rocky Mountain?
    What's your budget?

I'd look for something around the 130+ travel FS range.

HT is fun but as said, There will be limits with it but still stupid fun on most trails.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If you're not locked on a RM, get a Daimondback/Raliegh corp account and see what major discounts you get. That could change your options a lot.

For ex. same price as the growler 20 for much much better spec.
    https://slickdeals.net/f/9796487-dia...bicycle-stores <--go to end of thread for another 5% off.

https://www.diamondback.com/catalog/.../category/150/

Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    What's your budget?

I'd look for something around the 130+ travel FS range.

HT is fun but as said, There will be limits with it but still stupid fun on most trails.
    Price range for a mid travel trail bike is double the bikes he's looking at.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thank you all for your input. Iím either going to get the Growler or try the Corp account thesmokingman suggested. I think Iím going to stay with a hardtail this time and build up my skills and become more experienced with trail riding before I make the jump to a FS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thank you all for your input. Iím either going to get the Growler or try the Corp account thesmokingman suggested. I think Iím going to stay with a hardtail this time and build up my skills and become more experienced with trail riding before I make the jump to a FS.
    Solid decision! That will be a very versatile bike for ya.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Is the Corp account deals a one time thing or can I continue to use it for more purchases?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Every rider should own a hardtail.
    I like that, something in that.