Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Us British are obsessed by weather!

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  markw1970 
#1 ·
You have to laugh at the British weather really... For the last two days we've had snow - they describe this as the worst snow for 18 years. Here on the South Downs we've 'apparently' had about 30cm of snow - have a good chuckle if you live up by the Rockies or equivalent :D

It's shut schools, public transport has collapsed, something like 6 million bunked off work yesterday... You have to laugh!

I was good and asked my boss for today off, so I could go riding. Nothing too 'hardcore' today, but a good fun three hour loop. Gave me a chance to 'test' my new Hope headset and revel in my Northwave Goretex winter boots.

Hope you enjoy the pics... (p.s it's about lunchtime when I took the shots - dark!)

Branch Winter Freezing Atmospheric phenomenon Natural landscape

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Winter

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Wheel

Bicycle tire Winter Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow. Yeah I got an e-mail from Wiggle, from whom I'd ordered an XT crankset, stating that the weather was adversely affecting the shipping of orders. I ordered from there because the exchange rate is favorable right now. ($155 for an XT 175mm free shipping)

that's cool though since I expected it to take a good while anyway. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
I does make me laugh how (if you listen to the BBC) theres a bit of snow in London area and the world grinds to a halt. I'm in the south west (gloucestershire) and fair enough its the worst we've seen for a while, but everyone just gets on with it. My parents are from Yorkshire and find the whole thing hilarious.
Sweet pics there though, hope you had a good ride.

#10 ·
iDrew said:
Nice pics markw1970, I couldn't get to work today either. I wonder if I can get a quick ride in in between calls from the office :idea:
Haha, good for you iDrew... Tell them the snow has brought the phone line's down... You won't be contactable till at least next Mon!

Mind you, for me the 'holiday' is all over... I'm sat at my desk typing :sleep:

#14 ·
We've had some bad ass storms in my section of Pennsylvania. This one:
2/14/2007 winter storm

Did this:
I-78 closed by storm

And that was just in my section of PA. The storm was bad all along the east coast spawning major storms and tornadoes in the south, and feet of snow in the north.

There was a lot of fallout over how PENNDOT (Pa dept of transportation) handled the situation.

Since then its gotten better, but they still miss abit. There was an icestorm that stranded 23 people on the same highway a few weeks ago.

I just don't have the burning need to ride in that crap like you people do. I bow before you're dedication! :D

#18 ·
Elliott_MBR said:
Hi markw1970, where abouts were those pictures taken? Im in ashford so near the south downs.

Elliott
Hi Elliot, all part of the local bridleways out near the "Wayfarers Walk"... not the most challenging of terrain, but nice to get out :)
This is on the southern end, south of Basingstoke towards the Candovers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayfarers_Walk

Here's a couple more pics from today... Been a bit icy out there today.

Bicycle tire Winter Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Automotive tire

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire

Jeffus, that looks like a great day out - I love riding in Wales - Great big day riding there. Looks good fun.

Brown_Teeth, that made me chuckle... One day! Our one week summer is closer everyday... dream, dream, dream! ;)

#21 ·
Pete-G said:
Is that Llandegla Jeffus? Went there for the first time back in October, good fun trail that.
Hi Pete-G, yes it is, the trails were closed but I'd ridden in the back way from home along Offas **** path, so I came down the hill, in the snow , was good fun, many wipe outs, you hit a certain speed and you where gone :D

From my house up over the mountains , across the path and throught the forest and home again, is about 15miles and if I do the red and black and go out of the forest 25 miles,

its a good ride :thumbsup:

#23 ·
G4VNJ said:
Im from wales, had loads of snow....ill as fuk, couldnt go out...gutted!
Damn! Sorry to hear... hope you're feeling better soon.

Our snow days have ended - it was big slush a couple of days ago. Since then it's been big floods! Although none effecting me. Just up the road towards Reading they've had it bad in places.

I'm going to have to get back up the M4 soon and head back down to Wales :thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.