mtbr member
    Jan 2015

upgrading 1995 Univega Alpina crankset

I have a 1995 Univega Alpina with a triple, 24/32/42 and 11-28 in rear cassette. The rings are damaged on the Alivio cranks/rings. I use the bike as a commuter and want to upgrade to a 28/38/48 or similar.
    Will I need to replace the cassette and bottom bracket? Can this upgrade work?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You will probably need a new cassette and chain along with your new chainrings. I would post in the Vintage/Retro forum to find out if you will need any old school specific parts.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Your bike has a square taper BB spindle so if the BB is serviceable (no pits in the races, no damage to the spindle, etc) you should be able to regrease and go. Square taper cranksets are still available and probably cheaper than replacing the rings. I would do the cassette and chain at the same time. Again, because they're old-tech, they're probably not real expensive.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a 1994 Alpina 5.7 and its a great bike. Any older square taper crank will be much better than anything new. I like to run an old XT M737 crank from the mid 90's on mine. When the rings wear out I just replace them with new rings because the XT crank arms will last almost forever that stuff was very overbuilt.
    2014 650b SC Blur TR -- 2013 Chiner CF 29er -- 1988 Schwinn Prologue -- 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Your bike has a square taper BB spindle so if the BB is serviceable (no pits in the races, no damage to the spindle, etc) you should be able to regrease and go. Square taper cranksets are still available and probably cheaper than replacing the rings. I would do the cassette and chain at the same time. Again, because they're old-tech, they're probably not real expensive.
    I poked around ebay, and at the lower end, say, a Acera triple, the product description reads, "uses 122mm spindle." So, according to the specs on the 1995 univega, the spindle is 110mm. So, I would have to get a new BB, right? So, I need the crankset, a new BB, chain and cassette, right? But, will the old derailer work if I go from 24/32/42 to 28/38/48?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
    I have a 1994 Alpina 5.7 and its a great bike. Any older square taper crank will be much better than anything new. I like to run an old XT M737 crank from the mid 90's on mine. When the rings wear out I just replace them with new rings because the XT crank arms will last almost forever that stuff was very overbuilt.
    I looked at ebay, you have to pay a premium for vintage it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by univegaVintage View Post
    I poked around ebay, and at the lower end, say, a Acera triple, the product description reads, "uses 122mm spindle." So, according to the specs on the 1995 univega, the spindle is 110mm. So, I would have to get a new BB, right? So, I need the crankset, a new BB, chain and cassette, right? But, will the old derailer work if I go from 24/32/42 to 28/38/48?
    Yup, you'll need a new BB. When I upgraded my early 90's Bridgestone Mb-3 I ran into the same issue. They're not very forgiving. The front Der will be fine, you'll just have to raise it on the seat tube.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Yup, you'll need a new BB. When I upgraded my early 90's Bridgestone Mb-3 I ran into the same issue. They're not very forgiving. The front Der will be fine, you'll just have to raise it on the seat tube.
    Thanks for reply. Will the rear derailer still work?

It's a qualified "it should". With rear ders you have two things to look at: the der's maximum cog capacity (will it handle a 32t, 34t, 36t, cog) and maximum difference (how many links between your largest chain ring and cassette cog and your smallest chain ring and cog). Since you're increasing your front ring split by 2 teeth, you might be okay with the same rear cassette, but to keep things even, you could decrease your rear cassette ratio by two teeth (if you can find that cassette), i.e. if your using a 12-32 you could switch to a 12-30. The other thing that complecates things is the age of the der. The main tension spring can lose power over time, but if it's working now you're probably okay. Frankly, even the maximun difference issue can be "gamed" if you set your chain length appropriately for the two largest rings/cogs and accept that you can't use your smallest front ring with your two or three smallest rear rings. If it were my bike, I'd press with the current ders and look for the appropriate rear cassette ratios. Remember to adjust the b-screw on your der if you change rear cassette size.