Thread: Upgrades!!

mtbr member

Upgrades!!

Well, I made up my mind and I'll spending some money on my Jamis Dakar XAM 1.
    Here's my parts list:

Fox DHX 5.0 Air Shock
    Deity Dirty Thirty Handlebars (which I will cut down to about 28in)
    Easton Vice DH 65mm Stem
    CrankBrothers Mallets

These are for certain. However, I'm thinking about buying a Blackspire Stinger too.

What do you guys think?? Any tips? reviews or opinions on any of the parts??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ditch the air for a coil, replace cb's with shimano pedals.

mtbr member
    Well I currently have a DHX 3.0 Air. I love the feel of the shock but I lack any kind of lockout mechanism or pedalling platform for climbing so i'm replacing the 3.0 for the 5.0
    I'll check the Shimano's

Canuckistan
    Mar 2008
    I wouldn't ditch the CB Mallets, Personally, I love mine but thats really besides the point. If you dont hate CBs theres no reason to switch, some people hate em, some love em, you cant ever really ask a question about clipless and not get a biased response.

That being said, I agree with Tomsmoto about the shock, coil is a lot more progressive than air, from personal experience, and you get a more plush feeling ride...thats what I have felt.

mtbr member
    Yeah after cross referencing the mallets vs the shimano clipless platforms i'm going for crankbros.
    I'm staying with the DHX Air too BTW

Thanks, Luigi.

mtbr member
    I think you'll really like the deity "Dirty Thirty." I've been very happy with mine - GREAT feel! Mine are full length and you may want to ride them a bit before cutting them (if your local trails will allow it).

toby

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    Yeah after cross referencing the mallets vs the shimano clipless platforms i'm going for crankbros.

Thanks, Luigi.

Any specific reasons as to why(on earth?!) you want the air over coil version DHX? Help us to change your mind! The dhx air's supposedely have weak midstroke support and most ppl who have TRIED both will recommend the coil.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto

Thanks, Luigi.
    I prefer air shocks over coil shocks too. Have you considered the Marzocchi Roco or the Manitou Evolver? I heard the Roco is good and the evolver is pretty amazing for an air shock.

I like my mallets but I find them to be too much of a compromise. I really don't need a platform that big to be clipped in on. If I was to do it again I'd get two sets of pedals, Acids/Candys for general trail riding and platforms for more DH trips.

I bought a stinger but I havn't had the change to put it on yet...looks well built though and cheap!

Stem & Handlebars are completely rider preference...as long as they don't bend they're a good bar =). I'd try them out before making the plunge.

mtbr member
    Well the bar is the same weight as my current handlebar and is 4 inches wider and built for DH purposes, can't go wrong.

Psycro: I've never had any problems with my DHX Air. I've done jumps and drops about 5 feet to transition and 3-4 feet (max) to flat. Never have bottomed out or at least violently. I like the feel of my shock, as I said before, I just lack an adjustable pedalling platform (propedal) for climbing.

in_the_trees: I was hoping someone would say that. I think I can manage by my trails at 30 inches. I'll try it first off course but I'll probably end up cutting it an inch or two.

Thanks for the feedback, Luigi.

it's....
    I went with RP2/3 because DHX5air was known for blowing thru midstroke.
    Maybe DHX3 didn't have this problem, who knows, but have you considered RP23?

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    i would also consider a different pedal at well. i have been running the time Z pedals all year on my dh bike and they can take a hell of a beating, more than the mallets could ever take. plus i just plain prefer the feel of the mech.

mtbr member
    Yeah I did. Thing is, I really like the DHX Air's feel...

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    Any specific reasons as to why(on earth?!) you want the air over coil version DHX? Help us to change your mind! The dhx air's supposedely have weak midstroke support and most ppl who have TRIED both will recommend the coil.
    Thats a little outdated, the 08 DHX Airs addressed the weak mid stroke and supposedly work fine. The coil does still feel different though, they use different dampers.
    Bike good, work bad.

eBiker
    I've changed my tune on the DHX Air.

They are good shocks for frames which the linkage is designed for that notorious air spring midstroke.

My frame was not, so the DHXa was not so good (I'm being generous). But a lot of new frames are designing to the air shock spring which is great. I have no idea how the XAM fits into that tho.

If you like it, rock it.

P

mtbr member
    Thanks, The XAM came with the DHX Air, so i'm guessing they made the frame around it??
    And they're still coming in 2008 AND 2009 so I think somebody liked it right?