mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Upgraded bars/stem...not 100% sure??

I just swaped out my stock stem and handlebars for a new set. I went with the Diety Fantom Stem at 50mm Length and 0 degree rise and the Diety Dirty thirty at 30" wide with a 25mm rise with a 9 degree bend x 5 degree upsweep. The set up looks sweet and I like the shorter fater stem. I'm not 100% about the bars though. The width is nice but my older bars had, 40mm rise, 690mm width, 7d backsweep, 4d upsweep, 31.8mm. I think going from a 40mm rise bar to a 25mm rise bar is what I'm noticing the most. I'm definetly in a more downhill agressive position with this setup. I kind of liked being a little more upright on my old bars. Not sure what is better for AM style of riding. Maybe I'll get used to the new set up and grow to like it better. I was thinking of maybe swaping out the Dirty 30 bars for Diety Topsoil bars which have a 50mm rise and a 29" width. Anyone else experiment with different stem/bar setups for mainly trail/AM riding.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Give your new setup some serious time on the trail before you do anything else. You might actually get to like what you have now.

usually cranky
    do you have any spacers above your stem?
    if so move it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    do you have any spacers above your stem?
    if so move it up.
    Right now I have 2 spacers. I think going to a lower rise is what is throwing me off. I kind of liked that couchy up right position I had before. I'm sure though the more agressive position with the lower rise may be beneficial to the more dedicated DH rider. It may just take some getting used to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've been buying / borrowing cheap bars and stems to experiment with before buying expensive parts. Find what works for you before shelling out the cash for more expensive parts.

T.W.O
    I'd recommend at least giving them a real try. Hit some DH sections and see if you like the added stability and handling. If not you can just move it up via the spacers.

mtbr member
    +1 on the spacers, raise it a little, although most people tend to go lower and lower these days, specially on DH bikes, but it all comes to personal preference, if down the road you definitely dont like it then swap it, but give it a serious try before you take any decisions