mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Upgrade help to new bike from old RockHopper

I have been riding and older 18" RockHopper through a lot of singletrack and ATV trails of the Pennsylvania forests. I do like to get aggressive on the downhills and flat sections, but there are a lot of hill climbs as well. I've been wanting to take some trips and really start to get back into mountain biking so I took the bike into the shop for a tune up and found out that it was way undersized for me so I need to invest in a new bike. I'm 6'4", 200lbs, in shape and active, but looking to ride a lot more. Maybe 3 times a week. I'm looking for a stepping stone bike to last me a few years until I see how much I really want to get back into it so I'm trying to spend under $1,300. I've been doing research, but with all of the new changes in mountain bikes I'm a little overwhelmed with the choices like wheel size, how many gears I need, what size bike I need, and even the best place to buy a bike. I would really appreciate some suggestions on bikes and specs that may suit me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What size frame is your bike?

you have a nice budget for what you have described. If you want something new then take a look at hardtails from online retailers like JensonUSA, Universal Cycles, Colorado Cyclist, or Competitve Cyclyist. You may find a great deal if they are blowing out 29er Hard Tail stock from 2017?

For a NEW bike at your budget I'd be looking for a 29er hard tail with an air fork with 32mm stantions that has rebound adjusted and dampening. you'd also like a decent tubeless ready wheelset if you can get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2248260/
    Bike Flights for shipping.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I miss-spoke, my Titan Omega is 18" or 19" which is way too small and the Rockhopper is 21". The Rockhopper feels close to the size I need, but is so heavy and outdated. I would have bought the 21.5" Roscoe 8 by now, but it seems like I wouldn't get it until the end of October so I'm considering other options. Wednesday I'm going to try out a Cujo 2.

mtbr member
    go find one of these in 29er mode, its over your budget but its the real deal. thing is sick and just wants to haul ass. threaded bottom bracket, lifetime warranty, super solid frame, sweet ride quality. it will last a LONG time

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

if that doesnt make you into a hardcore mtber, you aint a biker

this guy nails what i experienced on the 29er https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaMLm8qes0