mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Upgrade 97 KHS Alite 4000 or 2009 GF Wahoo?

I'm looking for some input on my next upgrade project. I picked up these two bikes quite cheaply, both ride-able now but begging me to spend some money and love on them - a 1997 KHS Alite 4000 (Deore LX version) and a 2009 Gary Fisher Wahoo (white/red, not disc).

The Alite 4000 was $2000 MSRP in its day, is quite light but I'm not sure how it would stack up today as far as overall performance is concerned. Have things changed enough that it is not at all the past star it was given that price point?

The GF is a Genesis 2 frame and with upgraded bits could be improved over the good starter to mid bike it sold as. I've read good things about it but then I have the KHS as well... Both frames are in good shape (KHS with typical paint issues) and appear to have lots of life in them. My basic question is which one should be the better bike by 2018 standards - the oldie but goodie or the more modern GF?

I'm not going to be stump jumping or furious downhilling, just some aggressive trail riding with ups, downs and side hill roots and mud. My current MTB is a 97 GT Talera cro-mo hardtail so looking to upgrade my ride compared to that so in go faster in control on bumpier bits. I'm not a newbie to upgrading/rebuilding and to the reality that I would be better to buy a new bike than buy parts and also that these are both 26" but hey, why not?

Fat bike season so haven't ridden either yet (I will once the snow goes to see how either cockpit geometry works for me) but any thoughts on which one would likely give me the best results on the smile meter? To the winner may go a new drive train and other bits, to the loser - well, maybe commuter bike it is....

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Uh oh, are they both turkeys or just not that well known?